• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Ledgestone CryZtal FLX Tracker

JedV

Double Eagle Member
I know that there are several Tracker threads already, but after receiving this disc from Marshall Street it's pretty clear that the Ledgestone CryZtal FLX Tracker is a totally different product.

It's got a flight rating of 3+ on the Discraft scale and the Ledgestone is deserving of it. Insanely overstable. (The original Z runs have a 1.8.)

This has got to be a new mold:
1. It's zipper topped, whereas the old Z and ESP Trackers I own are from a smooth, polished mold.

2. The top is FAF. Flatter than the Discraft Flick. It's almost as flat as a Zone. The lack of dome on the Ledgestone FLX Tracker can't be attributed to the soft plastic alone.

3. The lower edge of the wing is a much steeper angle on the Ledgestone than in the original Z and ESP Trackers.

4. As with all new Discraft releases, it's got the updated tooling on the inner rim. Old Trackers had no tooling at all.

Should this disc still be called a Tracker???

There's mention that this disc is more overstable than a Flick. Definitely is.

A few more pics:

Thanks for doing that. :thmbup:

I have two Trackers that are very different, but nowhere near that.

What is zipper topped?

Thanks for doing that. :thmbup:

I have two Trackers that are very different, but nowhere near that.

What is zipper topped?

Zipper top is when a mold is new and the slightly rough polishing of the mold from the machining of the mold is transferred to the discs. It makes it look kind of like the tracks on an old vinyl record. Kind of makes a zipper sound if you run your fingernails across it. As the mold is used the plastic flowing through it smooths it out.

I'll takes some pics of some molds that look almost like that tracker I'll try to post tonight.

Plastics that cool different can make a pretty big difference in final shape of a disc. New tooling that is a little off can change things too, I have yet to see a puddle top Zone with the new tooling (which also means I think all new Zones stink).

Almost looks like the Zone stretched into a driver.

I agree that this isn't a Tracker. It really is pretty much a utility disc. It has little to no glide. I would agree on the 3+ rating, it is stupid over stable. You can't even compare it to a Z, Players Cup, or X because it flies like a different mold.

However, now I bag a 175g Players Cup, 169g Players Cup, a new 175g Elite Z, and an Elite X. Plus one of these Cryztal FLX Trackers. I have every fairway shot covered.

I've only handled an MVP Resistor a couple of times, but the Ledgestone Tracker reminds me of a beefier, slightly faster version in Gummy plastic.

Flicks are wayyy faster, but agreed. That is not the classic rendition tracker like the Zs and ESPs used to be...especially the famous opaque red ones. I've got a fresh 173 older Z tracker that is very understable and a newer run banshee overstable stiff 175 z tracker both of which have plenty of dome. That ledgestone fundraiser is crazy but interesting, I wonder if they're making them like that in standard production Z in the future because I'm interested. It must be similar to a speed 7-8 FAF firebird! But I would only want one in stiff plastic.

Glad I found this thread - was about to pull the trigger on one expecting it to be a Tracker.

Someone was asking about "utility discs," and my Cryztal FLX Tracker came to mind because it's so freakishly overstable.

Has anyone found a good use for this disc? Forehand roller? Overhand? It's almost too overstable even for those throws... but I'm sure it's useful for something. I think it's the most overstable disc I've ever thrown, though it's hard to compare across speeds.

What's up Ted, I use it for those 150-200 ft upshots that you don't want to overthrow. Short flicks and flick rollers. One of the most useful discs in my bag because it does the same thing every time. If flat FB is too much try a tracker. Powers down better than a flattop firebird.

What's up Ted, I use it for those 150-200 ft upshots that you don't want to overthrow. Short flicks and flick rollers. One of the most useful discs in my bag because it does the same thing every time. If flat FB is too much try a tracker. Powers down better than a flattop firebird.

The funny thing for me is that I received mine in a LE misprint pack (just with the Tracker etched into the rim, without the 3.0 label). I had never thrown any Tracker, so I took this out expecting a Teebird-ish flight. Nope! I threw it a few times, initially becoming depressed about my pathetic arm speed, since this thing does NOT do straight flight. Then I found this thread, and figured out this was the retooled version (zipper top, flat, etc.) But still trying to find a place for it in my game. Thanks Swede.