• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Let's talk Deer Lakes

Deer Lakes Course Improvements 2012

From the desk of J. Gary Dropcho, PFDS Course Superintendent:

Priorities for course improvements at Deer Lakes are
  • Building stone steps by tees for Hole 11
  • Drainage on Hole 3
  • Bunker mounds on green of Hole 8
  • Continued grass seeding/erosion control holes 2,18
  • Additional directional signage

I have a different schedule this year, so I probably won't be planning Deer Lakes work days, but, if anyone wants to step up to help, go for it. Perhaps I'll try to organize a litter crew round, though, in a few weeks.

From the desk of J. Gary Dropcho, PFDS Course Superintendent:

Priorities for course improvements at Deer Lakes are
  • Building stone steps by tees for Hole 11
  • Drainage on Hole 3
  • Bunker mounds on green of Hole 8
  • Continued grass seeding/erosion control holes 2,18
  • Additional directional signage

I have a different schedule this year, so I probably won't be planning Deer Lakes work days, but, if anyone wants to step up to help, go for it. Perhaps I'll try to organize a litter crew round, though, in a few weeks.

Those all are great ideas that need to be worked on.

Drainage on 3 is terrible. Usually when I get to 3 i contemplate just skipping it and not dieing.

Id love stairs on 11. I usually take the cart path on the right instead of going down the hill

Ive played a couple rounds there in the last 2 weeks. Cant beat this weather were having. Overall the course is in pretty good condition. Some of the hills are muddy/covered in leaves making them tough to climb. 3 is really wet/icy when i was there. 14 had some mud issues.

Vince,
That picture of Deer Lakes is amazing. You wouldn't know it but 80 degrees in February (the current Texas temp) is such a horrible temperature.

And to anyone who hates hole 6 and thinks its hard just should start throwing LHBH. It's the one hole that lets me rip a long drive from the longest tees and keep up with you higher rated people.

I think a great example of a pro-design grip and rip course is Carousel in DE. It consist of long relatively open holes that let those with huge arms just get up and launch their discs.

Sorry just read this thread in its entirety so I am mostly commenting to the reactions after the PFDO.

Is there anything better than a round at Deer Lakes the day after a fresh snowfall?

picture.php

Yes, a round at deer lakes when its warm and hasn't rained or snowed for 3 weeks.

The whole course is relatively in good shape. Few muddy areas here and there. But #3 is terrible. There is tons of water and mud on the fairway. We need to figure out how to eliminate this so it will dry out.

The whole course is relatively in good shape. Few muddy areas here and there. But #3 is terrible. There is tons of water and mud on the fairway. We need to figure out how to eliminate this so it will dry out.

I propose a boardwalk all the way down (and then up) the fairway. Then also a shack that sells sunglasses.

Enjoyed a round at Deer Lakes just before dark this evening. Ran into this fellow chewing on lily pads in front of Hole 15.
picture.php

can one of you good folks reserve me a spot for the PFDO.....also what courses are being used? I heard the big 3 but also heard just the big 2?

can one of you good folks reserve me a spot for the PFDO.....also what courses are being used? I heard the big 3 but also heard just the big 2?

Still many spaces left, so I don't think you need to worry:
http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/78088%26s=1755356676

For Ams, it's two rounds Saturday at Deer Lakes, one round Sunday morning at Moraine, and a finals round at Knob Hill for those who make the cut. An ideal setup, if you ask me. Pros play Saturday at Moraine and Sunday at Knob Hill.
http://www.pfds.org/index.php?optio...ttsburgh-flying-disc-open&catid=83&Itemid=435

The pro's don't play Deer Lakes? (not that I'm a pro or playing in the tourny)

Not this year. I don't know exactly why the decision was made, but three courses in two days does make transportation a little difficult, especially for any pros trying to get in practice rounds at each course. Plus, I think there's a segment of the pros who really like Knob Hill, so with this arrangement they can play two rounds there.

Knob Hill has served as a fine course and tournament central for decades now, but honestly I don't understand why it would still be used for the PFDO now that Deer Lakes is a finished course, having been battle-tested in National Tour play last year. My $.02 is that only Moraine and Deer Lakes should be used, and let the PFDS officers decide which course should be used as tournament central for Finals for those who make the cut, and the award ceremonies.

Knob Hill has served as a fine course and tournament central for decades now, but honestly I don't understand why it would still be used for the PFDO now that Deer Lakes is a finished course, having been battle-tested in National Tour play last year. My $.02 is that only Moraine and Deer Lakes should be used, and let the PFDS officers decide which course should be used as tournament central for Finals for those who make the cut, and the award ceremonies.

Having seen the amount of work it takes to run this event, I'm completely fine with allowing whoever's running the tournament decide. The PFDS is very much a course-rich, labor-poor club.

Although I of course prefer Deer Lakes, I can understand how travel logistics and hotel sponsorships would make for a Knob-Moraine combo getting chosen over a Deer Lakes-Moraine combo. And Knob's blue tees with the right pins can still make for a tourney-worthy course.

Plus, I don't think this will matter in another year or two or three anyway when Linbrook Park is tournament ready.

What's new this year in Eastern PA, Jeff? I expect to get to the new course in Carlisle next week.

Not this year. I don't know exactly why the decision was made, but three courses in two days does make transportation a little difficult, especially for any pros trying to get in practice rounds at each course. Plus, I think there's a segment of the pros who really like Knob Hill, so with this arrangement they can play two rounds there.

Probably because all the pros complained about Deer Lakes last year?

Probably because all the pros complained about Deer Lakes last year?

That was only before they played Moraine. Then the complaining really started. Some of the top pro's got absolutely shredded by Moraine.

For what it's worth I think Knob blue tees are the hardest blues in the Pittsburgh area.

lots of reasons why the format changed this year. But I can assure you that it was not because of some whiny disc golfers who got their ass handed to them at what was probably the toughest courses they played on the NT last year.

2012 Scholl's Bicycle Center Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open format

The format was determined by TD Scott Hartle and I believe reasoned by logistics. Knob Hill was not available for play on Saturday because of a Community Day celebration, but kept as final location for Sunday because of central location and hotel sponsorship.

I greatly respect the PFDS' officers' decisions. Indeed, the Knob Hill course from the blue tees is a challenge and it's centrally located. For future PFDOs consider however that there's no reason that the hotels in Cranberry and Warrendale can't still be used even if competition isn't taking place locally. Again, I just feel that while Knob Hill has served as a fine course and tournament central for decades now, a switch to using just two courses would make the logistics that much easier by requiring less travel between courses, especially on Sunday. It would also give amateurs and pros alike more chance to interact, compare scores, generate ratings, etc. And although I'm hearing great things about Linbrook Park, knowing the PFDS, it's not going to be used for tournament play for quite some time. Based on past experience, it seems like the PFDS is reluctant to put a course into play until they feel it is 100% ready. To wit, I would have declared Deer Lakes an absolutely suitable A-tier worthy course as early as 2009 but it was not included in the PFDO until 2011.

Vince, I think you'll really like the Coyote Hills course. There's only a handful of pro par four/five holes but some of the par 3s are a real bitch! I know of only a few golfers who have broken 54 there...just shooting in the 50s is a real accomplishment.

Correction

Still many spaces left, so I don't think you need to worry:
http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/78088%26s=1755356676

For Ams, it's two rounds Saturday at Deer Lakes, one round Sunday morning at Moraine, and a finals round at Knob Hill for those who make the cut. An ideal setup, if you ask me. Pros play Saturday at Moraine and Sunday at Knob Hill.
http://www.pfds.org/index.php?optio...ttsburgh-flying-disc-open&catid=83&Itemid=435

Correction for Ams. According to the TD's posting on the tourney's Facebook page, it's only three rounds for ams. The Sunday afternoon round at Knob Hill is just a showcase round for top pros. This shouldn't be a total disappointment, as ams can play their round at Moraine, go swimming in Lake Arthur, play nine holes at Linbrook Park, and then drive to see the pros finish up at Knob Hill.