• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Let's talk Deer Lakes

Hole 9 is now in A but won't be for long, so now's your chance if you're searching for an eagle at Deer Lakes.

Unfortunately, this is the time of year when foliage is at its fullest. So golfers have to deal with full trees around the landing area, and a tighter approach to the pin. I think it's probably a marginally 'easier' eagle in the spring before the leaves grow in, or in the autumn after they've fallen.

I usually try a roller on my approach, and most of the time I stand it up too soon and finish to the right of the path. Or occasionally I don't stand it up enough and end up over by the pavilion. I've hit metal with a long 'hope and a prayer' bid, but one of these years I'm gonna get it just right and roll down the path and get to within putting range and cash that sucker! :thmbup:

Unfortunately, this is the time of year when foliage is at its fullest. So golfers have to deal with full trees around the landing area, and a tighter approach to the pin. I think it's probably a marginally 'easier' eagle in the spring before the leaves grow in, or in the autumn after they've fallen.

I usually try a roller on my approach, and most of the time I stand it up too soon and finish to the right of the path. Or occasionally I don't stand it up enough and end up over by the pavilion. I've hit metal with a long 'hope and a prayer' bid, but one of these years I'm gonna get it just right and roll down the path and get to within putting range and cash that sucker! :thmbup:

Maybe a little easier although I don't think it's too bad now as the branches are decently high. I can see how a roller could be fun and effective, but the pathway to the basket is set up perfectly--if you're RHBH and have the arm--for a big anhyzer flex shot that hits the corner and unwinds its way down the path to the basket. I've taken 3s two of my last four rounds parking the B pin that way...from the blues with a big sweeping seeing-eye Katana as my approach and from the whites with a cobra that flew straight and then fell to the right and beautifully down the path.

What's new in the eastern half of the state, Jeff?

Played a round tonight, and the course is looking absolutely beautiful! :thmbup:

Lots of people out too. If there's a nicer park in Western PA, I haven't seen it.

5f3a7543.jpg

Looks awesome. You Lehigh Valley folks are going to make it tough for Pittsburgh to keep up. The Bear Creek course looks a little like the Seven Springs holes on top of the hill, which I really liked. And the Sellersville course looks like a perfect simple Par 3 9 hole course, although I think I'd be so excited to play the finishing hole that I wouldn't be able to concentrate during the round.

I'm pretty sure J. Gary said the park or water authority stopped trying to fix the pipes under Hole 16's fairway and finally just cut off the water.

Is that all the water or just specifically at 16? Just wondering because on hot summer days those spigots were a savior, at least for dousing my head in cool water.

Is that all the water or just specifically at 16? Just wondering because on hot summer days those spigots were a savior, at least for dousing my head in cool water.

I think it includes two, maybe three, of the water spigots in that area. The one in front of 12's tees is turned off, and there's a lock on the one by the restrooms near 17's tee. What I'm not sure about is if the spigot that's near the swingset between 16 and 17 (actually closer to 17's pin, I guess) is working. The spigot on Hole 7 is good, though.

I think it includes two, maybe three, of the water spigots in that area. The one in front of 12's tees is turned off, and there's a lock on the one by the restrooms near 17's tee. What I'm not sure about is if the spigot that's near the swingset between 16 and 17 (actually closer to 17's pin, I guess) is working. The spigot on Hole 7 is good, though.

There is also one to the right of Hole 11s tee by the picnic bench area

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?id=4565&p=484d7aa5

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?id=4502&p=08a45834

:)
Looks awesome. You Lehigh Valley folks are going to make it tough for Pittsburgh to keep up. The Bear Creek course looks a little like the Seven Springs holes on top of the hill, which I really liked. And the Sellersville course looks like a perfect simple Par 3 9 hole course, although I think I'd be so excited to play the finishing hole that I wouldn't be able to concentrate during the round.

Vince,

I saw Opti at the Lehigh Valley Open and he was a little modest about his Sellersville course...other folks that I've talked to who have played it say that it's a really really nice course, one of the best 9-holers they've ever played, and made just about the most perfect use possible with the land available. I really can't wait to get down there and see it myself.

Bear Creek on the other hand...let's just say that I never seen land with so much potential turn out to be such a steaming pile of crap. You pick an aspect of course design, ANY aspect, and they blew it at this course. The wooded holes on the front nine are just about the most ridiculous I've ever seen, and they play dangerously down walking / mountain bike trails which come out of nowhere all over this section of the course. Fairways? They apparently never heard of them. Hole#2 is okay, but it's almost impossible on hole#1 to throw a drive which doesn't end up either wet or in the poison ivy woods unless you throw a putter 100 feet off the tee...and this goes for both rightys and leftys, backhanders and sidearmers. Who wants to deliberately throw their first drive into the poison ivy woods to avoid losing a disc?

Many of the back nine holes simply just play straight up the mountain...they are eerily reminiscent of the first Campgaw layout. Once Dan Doyle saw some other ski area courses and realized that ski area course holes should tick-tack their way up the mountain and use the woods and not just play straight up the hill, the later versions of Campgaw were much better. Plus, Dan realized that not everyone was a marathon runner like him with that kind of physical fitness. Holes#10,11,13 & 14 are just so gosh darn BORING in the way they play straight up the hill.

The only thing that saves this Bear Creek course from being one of the worst I've ever played is the last four holes...holes#15, 17, and 18 persuaded me to believe that whoever designed the course actually played at least one other disc golf course before attempting this design, because up until that point I was convinced that the designer had never touched a disc golf disc before in his life. The only thing that could save this course is a complete and total re-design of every single hole up to #14. I work literally 10 minutes away from this course and you could not pay me enough money to play it again unless we climbed up to hole#15 and just played the last 4 holes. And at least then we could park at the lodge and wouldn't have the asinine walk back up to our car at the tee of hole#1. I don't know who the pinheads reviewing this course and giving it 3-4 stars are, because this course rates a half star at most.
icon13.gif

Vince,

I saw Opti at the Lehigh Valley Open and he was a little modest about his Sellersville course...other folks that I've talked to who have played it say that it's a really really nice course, one of the best 9-holers they've ever played, and made just about the most perfect use possible with the land available. I really can't wait to get down there and see it myself.

Bear Creek on the other hand...let's just say that I never seen land with so much potential turn out to be such a steaming pile of crap. You pick an aspect of course design, ANY aspect, and they blew it at this course. The wooded holes on the front nine are just about the most ridiculous I've ever seen, and they play dangerously down walking / mountain bike trails which come out of nowhere all over this section of the course. Fairways? They apparently never heard of them. Hole#2 is okay, but it's almost impossible on hole#1 to throw a drive which doesn't end up either wet or in the poison ivy woods unless you throw a putter 100 feet off the tee...and this goes for both rightys and leftys, backhanders and sidearmers. Who wants to deliberately throw their first drive into the poison ivy woods to avoid losing a disc?

Many of the back nine holes simply just play straight up the mountain...they are eerily reminiscent of the first Campgaw layout. Once Dan Doyle saw some other ski area courses and realized that ski area course holes should tick-tack their way up the mountain and use the woods and not just play straight up the hill, the later versions of Campgaw were much better. Plus, Dan realized that not everyone was a marathon runner like him with that kind of physical fitness. Holes#10,11,13 & 14 are just so gosh darn BORING in the way they play straight up the hill.

The only thing that saves this Bear Creek course from being one of the worst I've ever played is the last four holes...holes#15, 17, and 18 persuaded me to believe that whoever designed the course actually played at least one other disc golf course before attempting this design, because up until that point I was convinced that the designer had never touched a disc golf disc before in his life. The only thing that could save this course is a complete and total re-design of every single hole up to #14. I work literally 10 minutes away from this course and you could not pay me enough money to play it again unless we climbed up to hole#15 and just played the last 4 holes. And at least then we could park at the lodge and wouldn't have the asinine walk back up to our car at the tee of hole#1. I don't know who the pinheads reviewing this course and giving it 3-4 stars are, because this course rates a half star at most.
icon13.gif

Glad to hear about Opti's course. Pictures make it look like there are some beautiful disc golf shots there.

And so you're saying it sounds like the same people who designed Overlook got another commission at Bear Creek? It's funny...there was just a twenty-page thread here entitled "What's Holding Back Disc Golf" and I don't know if the issue of course quality came up. I think we as a disc golf community really need to expect more in our courses and promote the art and science of course design.

Vince, my only suggestion would be to make it bigger ;).

Just kidding, that looks great. Next up Caddy Book!

We got a good preview when Barry Schultz took on the The Hunt last year. He put down a 56 from the longs which is pretty amazing.

Work Day on Thurs 7/21

Meet at Blue Gill parking lot at 5pm. Help prep the course for the PFDO! Work directed by Scott McIntyre. Contact Vince at 412-450-0705 or [email protected] with questions.

Latest posts