• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Let's talk Deer Lakes

Matt,

Maybe you could establish a Pittsburgh social group on this website to keep things up to date on here for the people who are either not yet members of the PFDS or do not check the PDGA or PFDS forums. Maybe update the DGCR calendar with upcoming events etc. I think there are plenty of people on this site that are not members but are still active players. If you are not interested in doing it let me know and I will set something up.

I don't see this as an inherently bad idea, but it really doesn't address what I was objecting to. The PFDS has a website and a forum. Nothing is stopping the PFDS from using that forum (that everyone can use) instead of a forum that only PDGA members can use. Of course, I raised this objection there also last year.

If you want to make a social group here, I'll be happy to join it. But I'm not interested in scraping information off a forum I can't participate in, and parroting it here.

Matt,

I think you missed my point completely. I will set something up later today.

Vince, are there still plans to make tiers for the pins on hole 15? I remember this being discussed a while back.

I don't see this as an inherently bad idea, but it really doesn't address what I was objecting to. The PFDS has a website and a forum. Nothing is stopping the PFDS from using that forum (that everyone can use) instead of a forum that only PDGA members can use. Of course, I raised this objection there also last year.

If you want to make a social group here, I'll be happy to join it. But I'm not interested in scraping information off a forum I can't participate in, and parroting it here.

I think the new www.pfds.org website just went online and soon the PFDS-specific forum for all PFDS members should be operating. The plan is for all PFDS members to have their own login and special website privileges, but I don't know the timeline and details.

Matt,

I think you missed my point completely. I will set something up later today.

Vince, are there still plans to make tiers for the pins on hole 15? I remember this being discussed a while back.

I haven't heard anything about that from J. Gary, but I don't think I really knew about it so I've never asked. There's a lot of basic stuff to be done related to grass/drainage/dirt around teepads and fairways that we haven't talked about projects like that.

PFDS.ORG has just been updated. In the coming days people will be able to create their own account for the page and the forum will be a great tool for communication.

As for getting involved, we have the PFDS site, we have the PDGA site, we use facebook, and we also send out emails. If you are interested in being included in our emails, please send me an email to chris.deitzel at pfds.org THANKS

And I am sure we will overwhelm you with what you can do for the club and the courses in the area.

Work Days at Deer Lakes

The Pittsburgh Flying Disc Society is hosting a series of work days over the next few weeks to spruce up the Deer Lakes disc golf course for a new season of recreational play and tournaments. All disc golfers ready to give a little back to top ten-rated course in the country are invited to help with various important tasks related to course upkeep in order to make Deer Lakes the best course it can be.

Please bring work gloves, shovels, pruners and other implements of construction. Meet at the Anglers parking lot (near #1 tee). Contact PFDS Director at Large Vince Slaugh at [email protected] with any questions about the workday or if you would like to help. We hope to see you there!

Dates and times are as follows:
Saturday, March 26, ~2:00pm (This will be a light work session after the PFDS monthly at 10am and a proposed group trip to the Deer Creek Diner for lunch.)
Tuesday, April 5, 5pm-dusk
Tuesday, April 12, 5pm-dusk

Any updates or changes to this schedule will be posted at www.pfds.org or http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=125. In case of inclement weather, check either of those sites for announcements.

4/12 Work Session Cancelled

100% chance of rain tonight, so let's cancel our work session for tonight and let Mother Nature do the work to get our grass to grow. Look for upcoming announcement about more opportunities to help out at Deer Lakes.

Now #5!?!?

Holy cow...now Deer Lakes is #5! I'm not sure whether to be thrilled that my home course is #5, or be depressed from inferring that there aren't that many courses of similar quality around the country. It's a fantastic course, but it's not outright magical...I hope Pittsburgh will have four more courses (Linbrook, upgraded Old Economy, Slippery Rock, some TBD Allegheny County park) of similar quality garnering similar ratings (maybe even better) within two or three years.

Is Deer Lakes really better than all but four courses in the country, or does it just hit the different parameters with the perfect balance (not too hard + not too easy + not too hilly + not too flat + not too wooded + not too open + nice teepads, etc.) to please an unusually large segment of the DGCR community?

I really think the multiple high quality tees is what the dgcr community gives it a bump for as well as it's noT overly difficult.

Dan Doyle, master course designer and creator of the world-reknowned Warwick Town Park and Campgaw Ski Resort courses, was in Pittsburgh for a conference and called me for a course recommendation. I directed him to Deer Lakes and hooked him up with J. Gary Dropcho, and they got 9 holes in yesterday evening before a massive thunderstorm moved in. Dan loved the course so much that instead of driving home, he stayed an extra night and then played the entire course this morning from the blue tees. He reports that it was easily in the top 5 of all courses he has ever played lifetime, and he started in the late 70s. :thmbup:

Dan Doyle, master course designer and creator of the world-reknowned Warwick Town Park and Campgaw Ski Resort courses, was in Pittsburgh for a conference and called me for a course recommendation. I directed him to Deer Lakes and hooked him up with J. Gary Dropcho, and they got 9 holes in yesterday evening before a massive thunderstorm moved in. Dan loved the course so much that instead of driving home, he stayed an extra night and then played the entire course this morning from the blue tees. He reports that it was easily in the top 5 of all courses he has ever played lifetime, and he started in the late 70s. :thmbup:

Massive thunderstorm...so that explains why I found a DX Cheetah this morning with the name Dan Doyle on it in the middle of the fairway on Hole 9:)

Deer Lakes is beautiful. So is Moraine. I think I still prefer Moraine for the challenge, but I like Deer Lakes for the sweet tee pads. Both have pros and cons. If I could only play 1???? hmmmm. I just don't know?

Linbrook?

And Vince you are right we are spoiled here. It sucks traveling to play courses only to be disappointed time and time again. Not many courses can hold a candle to what we have here in the Burgh.

Both of the courses you mentioned are amazing. Campgaw has the longest hole I have ever played and Warwick is in my top 10 maybe top 5.

More from my conversation with Dan:

Although he hates the term "filler hole" and is often annoyed when people use it in their reviews of Doyle-designed courses, he admitted that the phrase described hole#12 somewhat. He just thought it was somewhat blah when one compares it to all the other exciting holes on the property. His suggestion was to push the hole into the woods and onto the backside of the hill to make for a pro par four, or even past the walkway bridge to #13 and way up the stream to make for an outrageously cool pro par five hole. I pointed out that this would result in having a "murderer's row" of a par 5, followed by a par 4, followed by a par 5, which could be grueling.

Despite taking a 7 on the hole, his favorite on the course was #14. (Suck it, Deitzel! :p) Dan throws a very, very good sidearm throw for accuracy but just doesn't have the distance he once had. I told him how with two huge turnover bombs from the longest tee I have been on the hillside below the basket in two and looking up at a ~ 50' putt for eagle three, and I've also taken my share of snowmen on the hole. He liked hearing that the hole can result in so much scoring swing from one play to the next.

I would love to see Hole # 12 get turned into a Par 4 with the pin down near the creek. I agree that as it stands now the pins are kind of blah. I think the reason I never really mind it is because it is that last little repreive before 13 (new pin) and 14. Its nice going into those holes with an easy duece.

For Hole #14 even though I prefer side arm I found the best path is a BH with a slight anny to get down the right fairway. It always seems to leave me with alot of options on the second shot.

More from my conversation with Dan:

Although he hates the term "filler hole" and is often annoyed when people use it in their reviews of Doyle-designed courses, he admitted that the phrase described hole#12 somewhat. He just thought it was somewhat blah when one compares it to all the other exciting holes on the property. His suggestion was to push the hole into the woods and onto the backside of the hill to make for a pro par four, or even past the walkway bridge to #13 and way up the stream to make for an outrageously cool pro par five hole. I pointed out that this would result in having a "murderer's row" of a par 5, followed by a par 4, followed by a par 5, which could be grueling.

Despite taking a 7 on the hole, his favorite on the course was #14. (Suck it, Deitzel! :p) Dan throws a very, very good sidearm throw for accuracy but just doesn't have the distance he once had. I told him how with two huge turnover bombs from the longest tee I have been on the hillside below the basket in two and looking up at a ~ 50' putt for eagle three, and I've also taken my share of snowmen on the hole. He liked hearing that the hole can result in so much scoring swing from one play to the next.

That would be pretty cool to move 12 out of the grass and make it a harder hole. Right now, all i throw is an aviar on a slight turnover

Interesting ideas. Although as a RHBH thrower, I actually like 12 as a good challenge even if it's not the most aesthetically interesting hole. The B pin (to the right) is a very tough turnover. Plus if you go long on your approach, you're likely looking at a long putt back. The C pin (to the left) just stretches my arm enough to give me a shot a birdie if I throw a perfect drive, so it's a fun challenge.

The only thing to consider with stretching it to the stream is the combination of a blind shot and a walking/biking trail. Mountain bikers seem to materialize out of nowhere at Deer Lakes at certain spots. I forget exactly what the terrain looks like there though...

Next Work Session: Thurs 6/9 evening

Please join Pittsburgh Flying Disc Society members on Thursday, June 9, at Deer Lakes for a work session to help get the course in shape for hosting a National Tour Event that is less than three months away! Work will begin at 5pm, although feel free to arrive whenever you are able. Meet at Blue Gill lot, and if you arrive late look on course bulletin board for instructions as to where to go. Scott Macintyre will direct work, and we will most likely focus our efforts improving teepads (especially Hole 14).

Please bring shovels, rakes, and work gloves, if you have them. Contact Vince Slaugh at (412) 450-0705 with questions. We hope to see you there.

Moved baskets 7-10 and 12 today. Hole 9 is now in A but won't be for long, so now's your chance if you're searching for an eagle at Deer Lakes.

Latest posts