• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Losing crucial trees

Chutney

Bogey Member
I've been thinking about how to maintain the integrity of a wooded hole after a crucial tree loss. A gap about 100' off the tee now has lucky routes that let through bad shots. Would it be tacky to cement a 4 x 4 x 10 post into the ground to guard a newly planted replacement tree to protect it and maintain the integrity of the hole? It could be painted or stained to blend in with the surrounding environment as well.

Not at all.

The trick is planting a tree in the woods, and getting it to thrive.

At a local course, on a semi-open hole, we lost a crucial tree and planted a replacement. We built a wooden frame with a net to protect it. (Alas, the tree didn't make it---but at least it didn't die of disc wounds). The frame stayed for a few years, anyway.

I don't think that would be tacky. There is a dead tree on hole16 at vallarta ast that was trimmed but left in place, this is good short term but I would like to see another tree planted behind it.

I agree with the other posters, but I'd try to make it look nicer than just a 4x4 stuck in the ground. Maybe make a fence or lattice in front of the new tree and add a mando to the right or left? It will protect the tree better and add more difficulty.

Griggs Reservoir, a local course for me, lost a bunch of ash trees a few years ago. I wish they would do something like that to make the course more challenging again.

Used telephone poles work well as 'fake' trees. Utility companies might donate some. Good for keeping mandos alive or creating 'trees' where there are none.

We also have tried planting a tree to replace one that have died.
It died suddenly after it was in the ground a couple months.

It's hard to replace trees in the woods.

We tried an old telephone pole, but the P&R didn't like it and took it down.

Duke Power just cut EVERY tree in a 150' swatch under the power lines at Bailey Road park....GAH!! Gonna be a lot of work re-configuring holes.

My home course (Maxwell Park in Normal, IL) lost a massive amount of trees recently due to emerald ash borers. It really makes the course a lot more plain and boring. I wish the city or club would do something innovative to keep Maxwell somewhat interesting.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll do the posts to protect a few new trees from disc hits. The lattice is a good idea too but I'm afraid it may get broken.

Last edited:
We have a course (Woodson park) that lost a bunch of trees to the pine borer and others to ice. This course is long and flat and needed the trees to guard pins and shape drives. A few of us locals had trees to plant. We called the city for permission to plant the trees and they asked "why would you want more trees?" We told them for shade on the tee and to replace the ones that were lost. We were told to contact the local club and make a plan for maintenance and watering. The local club has no interest in this course, so there is no hope of getting the trees in the ground. I guess we could do like the people that put up illegal homemade futbol goals and plant and water the trees ourselves.

Yes at Montgomery Hall. On the hole 12 tee pictured (numbered differently now on the course)

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_pics/787/c7acb2da.jpg

We've lost trees on both sides of this gap and now all kinds of stuff gets through. Also on one of the newer holes we've developed there are similar issues.

Good point about the telephone pole. I'll look into that

Last edited:
BRP has "Fake" trees on many of the holes, usually where old trees have died off, and occasionally for other uses like blocking the "sneaky" route or just adding challenge.

We have a course (Woodson park) that lost a bunch of trees to the pine borer and others to ice. This course is long and flat and needed the trees to guard pins and shape drives. A few of us locals had trees to plant.....I guess we could do like the people that put up illegal homemade futbol goals and plant and water the trees ourselves.

You have my approval for a civic surreptitious strike. :D

I've been thinking about how to maintain the integrity of a wooded hole after a crucial tree loss. A gap about 100' off the tee now has lucky routes that let through bad shots. Would it be tacky to cement a 4 x 4 x 10 post into the ground to guard a newly planted replacement tree to protect it and maintain the integrity of the hole? It could be painted or stained to blend in with the surrounding environment as well.
I like the idea, especially if the reason for the post is to allow the tree to grow.

We have a course (Woodson park) that lost a bunch of trees to the pine borer and others to ice. This course is long and flat and needed the trees to guard pins and shape drives. A few of us locals had trees to plant. We called the city for permission to plant the trees and they asked "why would you want more trees?" We told them for shade on the tee and to replace the ones that were lost. We were told to contact the local club and make a plan for maintenance and watering. The local club has no interest in this course, so there is no hope of getting the trees in the ground. I guess we could do like the people that put up illegal homemade futbol goals and plant and water the trees ourselves.
Seems lame on the part of the local club. Could ego/personality clash be the culprit?

Last edited:
BRP has "Fake" trees on many of the holes, usually where old trees have died off, and occasionally for other uses like blocking the "sneaky" route or just adding challenge.

Do you have any pictures? I'd like to see what those look like.

It would offer a new challenge that replaces what was there. Plus the fact that I like wooded, technical courses even though I would rate my play on them below average. I've tried an all open course and I sucked even worse than on the wooded courses.

It's definitely not tacky, and I'm sure that players that have been playing for a while would agree. I've only played since February this year but have had the luxury of playing with more seasoned players that are willing to share their in sight, which I'll gladly take.

I'd buy the argument that doing as the OP suggests maintains the integrity of the hole as intended by the designer(s).

... A few of us locals had trees to plant. We called the city for permission to plant the trees ...We were told to contact the local club and make a plan for maintenance and watering... The local club has no interest in this course, so there is no hope of getting the trees in the ground.

I'm sorry, but you have to think outside the tree here. Join the club, have them appoint you to the office of "Head Arborist". If the club is so lame that they are not even active, then it's time for a new club. I hereby appoint you as President for Life.