• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Magic is it for beginners or pros?

hmmmmmmm, and all this time i thought he putted Wizards:doh:

He used to.......but that is when all we had was Wizards. He likes the fact they are straight since he already puts a lot of hyzer on them and the extra glide is a plus.

I have always felt they were a little touchy.

been puttin' with them for about 2 months now and it's improved my putting game tremendously. they are really touchy but when played with just the slightest hyzer they're great (this keeps them from turning right on you as a touchy putter might)

drive with rhynos here as well as mids, but for putting, it's the magic for sure.

if you can dial in a magic....well, anyone can be awsome. not a noob putter in my opinion. lot of finesse involved.

Nikko putts with the magic.........he is kind of a Pro

anyone wanting to see a magin in action needs to look up a video on youtube.com, staring nikko, called "just another day" bob marley's "jammin'" is the song playing. that's how you'll know it.

anyways, watch the vid and you'll see why a magic is so carzy good.

I love the Glow one! I use it for approaches and long glidey anhyzer floaters. Strictly putt with Wizard.

Do you find the Magic too limited by its flight characteristics (hyzer preferred) or is it the Wizards wind resistance that helped it win the battle for the SHORT shots?

Change in shot maybe in the circle? That's where my problem started anything too close for a line drive <40 I opt for an arm only spinning lob and at that slower speed I find it really easy to oversnap the Magic/ Torquemonkey it.

Do you find the Magic too limited by its flight characteristics (hyzer preferred) or is it the Wizards wind resistance that helped it win the battle for the SHORT shots?

Change in shot maybe in the circle? That's where my problem started anything too close for a line drive <40 I opt for an arm only spinning lob and at that slower speed I find it really easy to oversnap the Magic/ Torquemonkey it.

It's rare I pick up anything other than a Magic for approaches. My home course is very heavily wooded. The Magic is the only disc I've found that I can point it at a hole in the brush 80-100 feet away, toss it flat, and watch it go.

I don't ever really have a problem oversnapping a Magic on approaches. I don't really think I snap them at all. They're so gliderific.

You're torquing a disc for a shot under 40'? I'm guessing you need to be a bit gentler on the disc. Accelerate later in the stroke instead of trying to huck it from the start. More wrist, less arm, maybe?

Yeah anything under 40 I run straight at the basket and rarely miss hitting it, make most of them. From that close if you miss a straight run at it the come back putt should still be a gimme.

The magic is like the comet of putters in that a little snap and a flat release can make it sail dead straight on a shorter throw for approaching. I find being able to throw it as gently as I do makes me more accurate.

Thanks forthe video link, I'll check it out.

If you find them touchy on a putt you can always use some hyzer. They'll follow a hyzer putt line within 60 ft with no issues unless you're facing a ridiculous headwind. Even then it might be possible throwing really nose down.

Cool Vid!!! That's awesome to see how it should be done.. Nikko uses lots of straddle putts and always a heavy hyzer angle.

I've never had a lot of luck throwing a Magic flat or nose down, it's always with a hyzer bias and usually a little nose up for my straightest flights. I feel unless I get it up to what feels like cruising speed I don't trust it to fly straight and I don't need 40 ft blowby on a 30' putt. They catch and funnel air underneath very well and get blown around ridiculously by light breezes with a light throw. I used a Voodoo this winter for that reason.. better results downhill too.

and blah blah.. So I'm to understand other people can throw these with a FLAT release and they don't dive over? Which plastic? Maybe a medium is a good idea, and how far?

I've been using a flat release within 30' with no wind or obstacles. Out further, or with a headwind and I use some hyzer. I haven't had too many bad misses resulting in long come backs, except for one or two long headwind putts I mis-judged this week. When I use a nose down putts I usually combine it with hyzer, a technique I use for headwinds.

i putt with sss magics
but just ordered an HPP for driving
i would like to hear about others experiences driving with HHP Magics

the 4 year bump almost to the day!!!

great disc for driving. i prefer to throw the glows but again magics are very straight to anny!!! control shots that go straight.

perfect first putter.

Wowza, 4 year necro-bump! A young MikeC no doubt sold a few shelves' worth of Magic with his comments here in 2010, just as he does with Envys today. Some things never change.

As for HPP Magics, expect less glide and a little more high speed stability than a fresh "S" plastic Magic. In calm conditions you can really lay into 'em and get some lasers.

Ok, so my new blue 178 HPP Magic just showed up.
It's soft,flexible, and kinda gummy.
It's sweet.
Not like my HPP Wizards
I could almost use this inside the circle.

Magic is a great mold that has done me right as a main putter, hyzer flip drives, downhill approaches, short up shots with minimal fade.

I love the Wizard too but recently tried the P2 because I really prefer beadless. I'm not sure if the P2 will season as well as a Wizard or BB Aviar but I rely on it for headwind putts and as an OS driving putter. The D-Line is firm but is nothing like Gateway's Soft. I'm VERY concerned if I hit a tree with D-Line but Soft has always held up. The P-Line doesn't seem as OS as D-Line. How OS is a new Warlock?

Sorry to change the subject. Magics are for every golfer. The worst disc gold advice I ever received was "Don't buy a Magic." Glad I didn't listen.

Latest posts