• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Message board distance

i played a few rounds with a buddy of mine who played a crapload of ultimate in college. only owned one disc. threw FH on everything with a heavy ass polecat. no joke.

I have been questioning some people's disc choices on the Hole of the Day threads. Some people know they can't throw far and they will choose a high speed driver on a relatively short hole, and others will choose a slower disc for relatively long holes. At least a lot of people will post what their strategy is and what they expect, but others won't do that and just post the disc they would throw.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with any of that, this time last year I would have been the person saying I would throw a wraith to a 250' hole and hope to be parked. Now I would throw a teebird to a 400' hole and hope for a 20-40' putt and those 250' holes are the ones I am hoping to park with my aviar. Anyone want to come to Arkansas and verify this :popcorn: and also see how inconsistent I can be?

I "can" get my putters out to about 250' but really, if I see something over 225' I likely will shy away from that when trying to park it. If Im practicing, I still would try to get the putter out to 250'.

So, as far as capabilities go, there is a lot of rhetoric but while in a round, I think I usually am going to throw the putter when the hole gets up to about 225'; mid when its getting to 250'; then my speed 6 fairways(except overstables) I typically try to cap myself off there and will try those up to 350', which Im not going to reach; BTW as 325' with them would be about as good as I can hope for unless Im throwing from a hill or with a really nice tailwind. Anything beyond 350' and I reach for that super fast, speed 7 fairway driver as Im less interested in control, but it typically doesnt really get me much more distance.

EDIT: I rambled and forgot to address the quote and say I see this in the bag suggestion threads as well. "I throw 400'-450' and I use a Pro Katana for long hyzers"

Last edited:
I've thrown an honest 400'. Once. Downhill.

Regular drives (barring no tree hits) I get about 320-350'.

I've can get my Buzzz near 300' as well and I've got a putter (I'm not sure of the model) to 250'.

But if anyone asks, I'm trying to break the quarter mile mark.

I have been questioning some people's disc choices on the Hole of the Day threads. Some people know they can't throw far and they will choose a high speed driver on a relatively short hole, and others will choose a slower disc for relatively long holes. At least a lot of people will post what their strategy is and what they expect, but others won't do that and just post the disc they would throw.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with any of that, this time last year I would have been the person saying I would throw a wraith to a 250' hole and hope to be parked. Now I would throw a teebird to a 400' hole and hope for a 20-40' putt and those 250' holes are the ones I am hoping to park with my aviar. Anyone want to come to Arkansas and verify this :popcorn: and also see how inconsistent I can be?

I use a champion wraith on almost every hole for drives, ranging from 150' - 320' , it's all about know what you throw and what gets the job done. I am left hand FH.

There was an 8yo girl that played at US womens. She threw 50-100' but 100% dead straight every time. No matter the course we played she threw 110-121 strokes. It was kind of funny because everyone else had a pretty big swing but she was mega consistant...imagine if you could only throw 150' but never went in the crap how good you would be at technical courses.

yeah its pretty annoying really. I'm not going to call anyone out here, but it was easily an exaggeration of around 70ft. I read it and just rolled my eyes. so sad.

There was an 8yo girl that played at US womens. She threw 50-100' but 100% dead straight every time. No matter the course we played she threw 110-121 strokes. It was kind of funny because everyone else had a pretty big swing but she was mega consistant...imagine if you could only throw 150' but never went in the crap how good you would be at technical courses.
That's actually a good illustration of why the intended skill level (par) should be considered during course design. If you don't then you won't get a good score distribution.

FWIW, 110-121 is a 110 point rating swing. It's the difference between a touring pro and an OK intermediate player.

I will be real with you
Distance Drivers: about 275 tops
Fairway Drivers: about 250
Midrange: about 225
Putters: about 200
There you go and I have been playing about 3 days a week for over 2 years. I would really like to get to 300 ft that is definitely one of my goals.

My 10 year old daughter did this on the infamous hole 10 at Wilco. It's an 800ish' double dogleg shaped like a lightning bolt S with thick shule down each side. I five it on my best day and have carded many an 8 on this hole. The one time she played it she sixed it with her 146 pink Rancho Roc just by throwing straight 180ish' drives and staying in the middle of the fairway.

I can throw over 600 and would go get my $25K at the Big D but I don't want to embarass others

(or really embarrass myself lol)

Its the interwebs, I assume nothing is truthful....most of it barely has a ring of truthiness to it

That's actually a good illustration of why the intended skill level (par) should be considered during course design. If you don't then you won't get a good score distribution.

FWIW, 110-121 is a 110 point rating swing. It's the difference between a touring pro and an OK intermediate player.

Yeah it is a big swing, I realized that later, it just doesn't seem like it because they are such big numbers. It also proves to me why there needs to be Juniors ratings. This girl is going to be 275 rated or something like that but would probably smoke most girls her age on stamina alone (she never once complained...I can't get my 7yo through 9 holes without a complaint) and should be a J750 or 800 in my eyes...she is a US champ afterall. :thmbup:

This site does not cater to those who refuse to eat animals which is why I fit in so well here. I eat at least a pound of animal flesh per day.
Everyone note that sidewinding intentionally did not indicate which animals' flesh he ingests.

that's because he fears what the authorities would do if they caught wind of him eating the "ultimate animal"... MAN (wieners)!

Latest posts