• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Yeah. Reviews before baskets shouldnt count. Gives the course no chance of goin anywhere on this website. #SadTruth

They shouldn't add a course to the course list if it doesn't have baskets.

They shouldn't add a course to the course list if it doesn't have baskets.

Isn't there a way to add a course but to have it in like a "closed" status? I think I've seen this before.

I can understand wanting to list a course ASAP - even before baskets are in to generate interest but if there is no way to stop people from posting reviews before it's complete then it seems a little pointless....

Belle Isle is putting in the permanent baskets today and will be ready to be played tomorrow!

All I can say is, "Damn, they better mow that course," otherwise, you're really gonna be playing safari golf.

I can understand wanting to list a course ASAP - even before baskets are in to generate interest but if there is no way to stop people from posting reviews before it's complete then it seems a little pointless...
Agreed, what's the point? Everyone wants to make a splash... "Look at me!"

Last edited:
Isn't there a way to add a course but to have it in like a "closed" status? I think I've seen this before.

I can understand wanting to list a course ASAP - even before baskets are in to generate interest but if there is no way to stop people from posting reviews before it's complete then it seems a little pointless....

Looks like it is listed as "Unplayable" and in RED on this site. Guessing the two reviews are from people who helped work on the course, so there is going to be some bias with those early reviews.

Not sure how I feel about it, by rating it so high they could set themselves up to look bad if people come out there and are not immediately impressed with it. Kind of think it would be better to let some players not associated with the project make the first reviews. By throwing up that 5* review early they are almost asking to be critiqued harder by new visitors.

I hope it lives up to the hype it hasn't earned yet. :\

Just got back from a couple "up north" disc golf swings. I had a chance to play in a tournament at Mt McSauba, in Charlovoix. It was their opening of this Epic ski hill course. I will try to do a brief review on DGS. Massive uphill holes and downhill bombs. Super tight technical wooded in between. A Hanson Hill type workout, but worth the hike. Fantastic views of Lake Michigan. Elevated and landscaped tees and pads. Votex baskets were catching machines. Long and shorts present very challenging pad and pin placements each. A little tough to navigate, but some play will create paths and the boys up there did a great job on temp signs. Some work to go out there, tee pads are currently being finished up, a few rough pads, a little trimming, permanent tee signs are all being finished up on this 19 hole monster. Don't miss this course. Huge thank you to all the guys up there putting in the hours and work. A course of this magnitude and elevation present additional challenges to the already daunting task of course installation. Between Boyne, Avalanche, Petoskey and the Traverse City offerings, this is a premier disc golf destination.

Just got back from a couple "up north" disc golf swings. I had a chance to play in a tournament at Mt McSauba, in Charlovoix. It was their opening of this Epic ski hill course. I will try to do a brief review on DGS. Massive uphill holes and downhill bombs. Super tight technical wooded in between. A Hanson Hill type workout, but worth the hike. Fantastic views of Lake Michigan. Elevated and landscaped tees and pads. Votex baskets were catching machines. Long and shorts present very challenging pad and pin placements each. A little tough to navigate, but some play will create paths and the boys up there did a great job on temp signs. Some work to go out there, tee pads are currently being finished up, a few rough pads, a little trimming, permanent tee signs are all being finished up on this 19 hole monster. Don't miss this course. Huge thank you to all the guys up there putting in the hours and work. A course of this magnitude and elevation present additional challenges to the already daunting task of course installation. Between Boyne, Avalanche, Petoskey and the Traverse City offerings, this is a premier disc golf destination.

Is the course officially open? I'm really excited for this one. Such a perfect spot.

Is the course officially open? I'm really excited for this one. Such a perfect spot.

According to Ric Evans, the baskets were staying in. Very playable. I think they are still working on where to park and bring golfers in. McSauba has some sort of summer camp with kids, at the lodge. They have a facebook thing, Chain 'O Lakes disc golf or something close to that. Sorry, don't do the facebook thing. I was able to touch base with him at time on DGS. I would think it is open for play.

Mt.McSauba Disc Golf Course in Charlevoix, Michigan

This course is AWESOME! 19 holes with 19 baskets installed. We had the 'soft' opening on July 20, 2013. All holes are playable, most with two sets of tees, temp signs are in and permanent signs are being worked on! The course is 100% playable. Awesome views of Lake Michigan, be prepared to hike! Tight lanes, dual lane options, elevation changes everywhere, incredible par 3 and 4's! Played it again yesterday and I am loving it! Still working on scorecards, benches and trash cans. Mixed tee's, some concrete, diamond dust, a few carpet, all play really well! This is a MUST PLAY course! Every hole has taken full advantage of the topography which makes hiking up and down these hills well worth it! The risk vs. reward here is unmatched on some of the holes! Play's best with a partner or someone to spot on a few of the holes. Really easy to get to off US31, close to a few gas stations. Park down the dirt road where the swimmers park, that's hole 1, try not to park at the clubhouse.

Looks like it is listed as "Unplayable" and in RED on this site. Guessing the two reviews are from people who helped work on the course, so there is going to be some bias with those early reviews.

Not sure how I feel about it, by rating it so high they could set themselves up to look bad if people come out there and are not immediately impressed with it. Kind of think it would be better to let some players not associated with the project make the first reviews. By throwing up that 5* review early they are almost asking to be critiqued harder by new visitors.

I hope it lives up to the hype it hasn't earned yet. :\

^this... course might be great, might not be, might be somewhere in the middle but I agree with you 100% These ratings wreak of homeboy, "that's my baby," bias. :\

This course is AWESOME! 19 holes with 19 baskets installed. We had the 'soft' opening on July 20, 2013. All holes are playable, most with two sets of tees, temp signs are in and permanent signs are being worked on! The course is 100% playable. Awesome views of Lake Michigan, be prepared to hike! Tight lanes, dual lane options, elevation changes everywhere, incredible par 3 and 4's! Played it again yesterday and I am loving it! Still working on scorecards, benches and trash cans. Mixed tee's, some concrete, diamond dust, a few carpet, all play really well! This is a MUST PLAY course! Every hole has taken full advantage of the topography which makes hiking up and down these hills well worth it! The risk vs. reward here is unmatched on some of the holes! Play's best with a partner or someone to spot on a few of the holes. Really easy to get to off US31, close to a few gas stations. Park down the dirt road where the swimmers park, that's hole 1, try not to park at the clubhouse.
I wish I would have known about the soft opening! On Sunday I was at a ball golf driving range throwing discs wishing a course was closer and wondering when McSauba was gonna open. I had heard there was a disc golf tournament going on as part of Venetian Fest, but I thought it was a fundraiser or something for the course. I guess I should have done my homework!

Anyone ever hear anything about a new course in the Ypsilanti/Belleville/Romulus area? A guy I worked with found it listed in an app (UDisc or Discasaurus I think) last year. Pretty sure it was at a ball golf course. He called them and they said it would be opening this summer.

I haven't heard anything more about it, don't work with the guy anymore, and can't get those apps on my phone so can't check myself. I've tried doing some Googling but haven't had any luck.

^ Are you sure that's not old info regarding Ponds at Lakeshore? It's on an old bolf course.

I haven't heard of anything since Hamburg, but PM'd Innovadude to see if he knows what's up with that - he's pretty plugged in.

Anybody heard anything about the 2nd course Rolling Hills is putting in? I heard some buzz about it in the spring, but since then it's been quiet.

Anybody heard anything about the 2nd course Rolling Hills is putting in? I heard some buzz about it in the spring, but since then it's been quiet.

I would think they could fund a new course with the bags of PBR and Natural Light cans on this course. :p Sorry, I think it would be great to get another course in here, though the price is a bit steep for my taste.

^your post is the first I've heard, but Ypsi's a bit of a schlep from my house.

...but that'd be another good question for Innovdude.

I would think they could fund a new course with the bags of PBR and Natural Light cans on this course. :p Sorry, I think it would be great to get another course in here, though the price is a bit steep for my taste.
Agreed, the $9/day park entry fee for non-Washtenaw County residents it steep, but it'd sting less if you could make a day of it by playing 2 courses (a'la Hudson Mills). Throw in Indy Lake for a triple play and $9/day is a bargain. Bring a couple of friends and you're paying a measly $1 a round, each.

Last edited:
^ Are you sure that's not old info regarding Ponds at Lakeshore? It's on an old bolf course.

Yeah, definitely not Lakeshore. I think he was actually looking up the # for Lakeshore to check the hours on the Throw Shop when he noticed the new course listing. He said he spoke to a woman and she said it wasn't open yet - this was probably late last August or so - but would be this summer. Even if he'd just messed up and called The Throw Shop they wouldn't have said that. I heard his half of the conversation, too, so it's not like he was making this up. It seemed the ball golf course was still operational, too.

He told me the name of the place but I can't remember it. Maybe I should just start calling all the ball golf courses in the area....

Years ago I heard they were gonna expand the existing course to 24 holes. Thought they were actually doing some work in the woods for it. Obviously didn't happen and I've never heard that again.

I've definitely never heard anything about a 2nd course. That would be awesome, though! I don't get there enough even though I'm only a few miles away...often too crowded for my tastes. A second course may help with that a bit.

I just sent them a message on Facebook. We'll see what they say.