• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mid Range Question

I don't think so based on the repeated performance and throwing much more finicky discs better. It was more likely a funky disc. It happens.

So no on the shark back to the question. What's the difference in the comet and buzz ss

Comet is slower with more glide and will turn gradually. Comet will fly further when thrown higher. Buzzz SS is faster and will turn sharper, and doesn't need as much air to get distance.

So where are we guys... For a newbie the buzz, buzz ss, or comet??? Still not sure the difference of them all

Why not buy all three and decide for yourself? I prefer the Comet, and that is what I typically recommend to everyone, newbie or otherwise.

pask2155 said:
So where are we guys... For a newbie the buzz, buzz ss, or comet??? Still not sure the difference of them all

If you only want to by one of those and don't know which one, get a pro-d buzz. A good disc and a cheap experiment.

I should have explicated that I've only thrown Z Buzzzes. Perhaps one way to summarize is: a Buzzz, Comet, Shark or several other options are all mid-range discs that can fly remarkably straight, but if they don't do so for you, don't be discouraged- it's not the disc.

I haven't thrown Buzzz SSs because people here said that they were as beefy as Z Buzzzes. The plastic you choose with a Buzzz comes down to your preference of grip and how much user error tolerance you want. The more you get the less the disc will indicate sloppy form. So in the short term your score will be better and skills will improve slower because you think everything flies ok if that pesky putter wouldn't flip, flutter and roll :) D Buzzz will change to flippy soon. So i'd pick any from most flippy and grippy X to ESP in between to the Z Buzzz which is the hardest fading not flipping when flat topped and high on the outside edge and concave in the wing and slippery. Since you need to ask i wouldn't get a Ti or Glo Z Buzzz at this point. The D Buzzz money can be invested into a lot more durable and better for a greater time flying harder plastic so that you don't need to buy another disc in a month or two. And not a Comet just yet to save you grey hairs :) The time for it needs to come eventually but i'd throw the Buzzz for a few months first.

been playing for about 8 months now and can recommend the innova spider, when your arn gets a little bigger the cro and when you understand the game/discs a little better then a buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Memory is coming back i think the Shark i had was actually a DX.

The Spider is a fine disc but it lives with speed. Like the Buzzz the Spider remains a useful disc as the power increases. It is an easy to throw very forgivable disc. It is good for scoring well early and poor for learning because it gives so much protection against the errors made by the thrower. At low power there is no glide with the Spider and it drops like a rock. At power it still ain't that long. Cro is a really beefy disc at lest star early ones and won't stay straight. At least if it ain't just off of the ground. The fade of a Cro is harder than that of a Buzzz.

So the Z buzz fades the most? Will it once it is "broke in"? Because as of now it sounds like the buzz is going to be a disc that I will grow with and so I may as well buy the durable plastic. At least that's what I'm thinking???

I just don't think a Z buzzz is a great beginner's disc. It has a lot of LSS, is fairly fast, and doesn't shape lines well. A beginners disc should be able to teach the person lines and should be easy to bring up to power. That is why the shark is a good disc, it shapes lines well and can be brought up to power easily. Other mids I would recommend before the Z buzzz:

Coyote
Mako
Fuse
warship
S Scout

I agree with Frank about the high power requirement=difficulty of shaping each line with the Buzzz. The reason i responded with the Buzzz was the forehand and backhand requirements and the need for some user error intolerance while being straight (the Buzzz has to be thrown low to remain straight).

Coyote, Mako, Warship, S Scout each work for new players shaping more lines than the Buzzz. The Scout being the least easy to be able to thrown on each line. But after a long while it will break into being more usable. Coyote is the longest. Z Buzzz ain't the hardest fading Buzzz variant. The Ti a little more then The Glo Z are even harder fading Buzzzes than the Z. Going down in flipping resistance and fade are the ESP and the X Buzzz. D won't last a long time so i recommend against it.

I'm still wary of the Shark. At least in windy conditions and powered up. They may be fine for new players in calm weather but i suspect they aren't good in the wind. To my amazement i taught a new player today who had started this season and he got the best results out of my X Comet. That is atypically good progress. The Fuse is doubtful in the wind.

Ask and you shall receive :-D But why push an idea and not have someone think for themselves. Silver bullet society is soon a dead society. Not everything should be handed out as ready made package. Learning to decide which discs to try and why is a valuable skill and i don't want to have him skip that thought process.

Frank Delicious said:
I just don't think a Z buzzz is a great beginner's disc. It has a lot of LSS, is fairly fast, and doesn't shape lines well. A beginners disc should be able to teach the person lines and should be easy to bring up to power. That is why the shark is a good disc, it shapes lines well and can be brought up to power easily. Other mids I would recommend before the Z buzzz:

Coyote
Mako
Fuse
warship
S Scout

"User friendly" and "teaching tool" are different things. For many a beginner the most user friendly disc would be something like an Optimizer ( ie... near as flippy as a paper plate) but as a teaching tool, with much greater long range benefit, a Buzzz is great. You must manipulate a Buzzz to get it fly straight. Once that task is learned (with the proper flat angle of release) a player can apply that lesson to other discs and take a big step toward competence.

Of course a Buzzz is not the only way to learn this lesson. But it is a disc which can remain in a player's bag forever as advancing skill does make it obsolete. Just the opposite, advancing skill makes it more valuable and cherished. Buzzzes are designed to fly straight, even when thrown with power and this is one of the most useful shots in the game.

A Buzzz for sure. Don't worry about durability in the future or anything. If you like the Buzzz you will end up having tons and tons of them. Then you will rotate them in and out of your bag, all doing slightly different things.

I would not worry about plastic type or weight to start. Simply go to the store and pick them all up. Find the one that feels the most comfortable in your hand and buy it.