• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Midrange As Putter?

I've played with about 4 total putter molds in my entire life. Glow Proton Ion, Dx Aviar, DX Dart, F2 Challenger. I've used the Ion the most and I love it. Whether driving or putting it flies straight with minimal fade at the end of the flight. I recommend sticking with 1 mold of putter that feels good in your hand then just use that putter constantly.

I used to putt with a DX Roc as it was my only non-driver disc. I did ok but I also didn't have any idea what the hell I was doing. I bought my Ion about 7 years ago and I've used it for driving, approach, putting. Flight characteristics of the disc stay mainly the same regardless of distance or actual spin put into your shots. You throw it on a flat line, it will land on a nearly flat line. I really recommend that disc.

If you're putting with a mid by choice you probably like the weight of the disc and feel like you can throw it with more certainty that it will reach the chains. That's fine, there's no rule against it. Keep doing it if you are happy with your consistency but if you are looking for more ways to throw long shots without skipping or preventing a ton of rollaways, switch to a putter.

I would advise not switching between 7 different molds, for putting, during a round. But, i get it. You putt with suspects, and we all know now.
I use one of them during a round and at least putt with that mold at least 4 or 5 times. I'd rather stick with 3 or 4 discs than 20. JMO

Have you ever used the screwdriver on a pocket knife to tighten a screw?
It (eventually) works, but it is a PIA, compared to a full size screwdriver.

Putting with a mid is the same in my eyes... It will work, but there are better tools available for the same application. Just use the tool that was designed solely for the task at hand.

The more you can get acclimated with a putter, the more strokes you will save. I generally don't go to a mid unless I am >275' from the pin...

Welp I might change my name to Bullfrog now haha. I've been using that, Spider, 2 Rivers,. and TB.

In strong Winds I use my Pro or Star Shark both around 175 grams as a Putter and I will use the Star in place of a driving putter as a putter tends to not work as well for me unless that putter is almost in the putter shaped midrange slot, like my #2 Upshot in Prostyle. Then an Uncle uses the DX Spider as his putter and has since the early 2000's when he was looking for a lower profiled Magnet (he hated how tall an slow the Magnet was) and the old 170 gram DX Hydra was not out yet or he might have chosen that disc when it came out. My brother used a DX Gator though beat in to fly straight the same one in mid 2004 for putting and a further one that was more near new for longer shots as he did not like the Putters that were out in the 2000's. It was not until last year 2018 I got him 2 DX Stud for birthday as it was the closest to a Gator in flight and feel but in a true putter style disc.

In my post above that should be XD not DX.

Last edited:

Latest posts