• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Midrange identity crisis

Tomphoolery

Par Member
So, I've been trying out different mids recently just to get a feel for what's out there. I ignored mids when I first started because *guess what?* I was throwing Wraiths and Destroyers that I had no business throwing. This board and people in Facebook groups talked me into discing down, and my midrange game has come along nicely. However, I seem to be unable to settle on what to bag.

My first workhorse mid was a DGA Rift. I then got a Buzzz to see what the hype was about and rotated the two for awhile. I also recently got a Truth because it was cheap. It's just okay. I don't know much about DD but I think I got the cheapest plastic so it's kinda a throwaway disc. I was loving the Rift but retired it because it's a first run and I didn't want to wear out the stamp any more.

So, I went a little crazy on black Friday. Somehow, I managed to buy an MVP Reactor, a Prodigy M3, and a new Rift. They all cover the same slot, straight, neutral-stable mid. I suppose I'm going to try them all out. I would kind of like to leave at least one unthrown to sell and get some money back. Right now I'm leaning towards benching the Reactor, but MVP is my main brand and people rave about them. I've been wanting to work in more Prodigys though, and I already know I like Rifts.

What's your preferred mid in this class? There's no point in bagging three or four discs that all do the same thing, so I'm trying to sort it out.

DX Leopard, BT Soft Harp, trash plastic Lucid Bounty. Leopard is very touchy for me - takes very little power, but the angle has to be right. New DD Bounty is a fantastic flip to straight disc. Harp is reliable. Great for flexing straight lines and soft landing.

even destroyer vs wraith

buzz vs rock

aviar vs wizard

sw vs rr

grab one or two and enjoy it

The Warship is my favorite beginner friendly mid. A little turn very little fade and a whole lotta glide.

I throw the Bard and Justice a lot myself but would not recommend them to anyone who doesn't throw pretty well and hard.

The Warship is my favorite beginner friendly mid. A little turn very little fade and a whole lotta glide.

I throw the Bard and Justice a lot myself but would not recommend them to anyone who doesn't throw pretty well and hard.

Been awhile since I threw my Warship but they go FAR. Further than some of my fairways.

Shark as the approach to very very short midrange. Shark is a slow putter like midrange that I also use in higher power for a driving putter slot. Champion Shark 3 for the more midrange like disc in glide I use as my true midrange. Sad to see the Shark 3 is going oop, and in its place is a disc that flies nearly identical to the Shark 3, the micro dome discs. All discs are ~175 grams Before this change in 2017, I was using a DX Stingray that was not holding up in wind due to how I have to power down a Stingray to have mold fly well and not turn and burn.

I also have ESP Impact and several backup used for between a midrange and fairway distance as well as tight tight longer gaps in the woods at the 170-172 and 173-174 gram weight sets as 169-175 grams work best for the Impact mold.

Finally the Archer is a fairway but is slow enough I can use it for my US midrange if I need to.

Last edited:
The "neutral/workhorse" mid is probably one of the more important slots in anyone's bag. It's a disc that gets thrown a lot, and you tend to rely heavily on it after a while.

There are dozens of different molds by quite a few different companies that fit this category. IMO there are two things that can determine what mold is right for you. How far you throw, and how you want the disc to feel in your hand. Not all neutral mids are the same. Some handle power better than others.

I personally prefer the champion Roc3 for the neutral mid slot. It takes power well without flipping, all while maintaining a steady, straight flight. I've found that discs like the Buzzz and Truth can turn too much when thrown hard. They don't fade enough to come back late either.

No one can really tell you which neutral mid is best. I guess you just have to try a few of them until you find one that fits. Give the champion Roc3 a hard look though. There's a reason it's among the most popular mids out there.

I love, love, love the Rift for my arm speed. It's the first mid I've thrown over 300 feet consistently. What I love most about it is the shallow and smooth feel in the hand. I'd totally buy more for the new bag that I've made, but they're so hard to find in that beautiful swirly ESP plastic, and the DGA site won't show you individual discs in that particular blend for sale. So instead for my new bag, I went and bought two ESP and 1 Z Buzzz. They're not quite as shallow unfortunately.

What are other low profile molds like the Rift?

Fresh Roc, used Roc, svea is my lineup.

Cheap plastic doesn't mean it's a throwaway. DX rocs are the best rocs.

If you like the rift, throw the rift. Who cares about the stamp getting worn, if you threw it it's already not a collector.

Any of the ones you have is fine. Bag whatever you like most. It doesn't matter. Many people have many oppinions. Knowing *your* mid is what matters, not if you throw the same mold others like.

As others have said, being confident in your mids and knowing how they fly for you is very important.

My mid lineup is simple. I bag two Buzzzes in premium plastic (a fairly worn Z and a fresher Big Z that is a bit more overstable). I throw both of these discs quite often, both off the tee and in approach situations, and both forehand and backhand and even overhand in spots. For me, the Buzzz was one of the first mids I tried. Due to comfort for BH and FH, and a versatile flight, it has stuck.

I also almost always bag a Z Comet. In general, I found I need a "turnover" mid. The Comet does that for me, and is simply an incredible mold. Nowadays, I believe there are many other molds that could fill a similar spot, but a Comet is special and does what I want it to.

I often throw a Z Wasp in the bag too, since it's a little more turn-resistant than the Buzzzes. But my Buzzzes are my most thrown mids, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Since you have quite a few right now, I'd continue throwing all of them for a little while before buying more. Think about what you like and don't like about each mold, from plastic to grip to flight. For me, the Buzzz love was almost immediate. Even as a new player, I loved how it flew. Add to that the nice feel for all kinds of throws, and it quickly became my staple. In your case, MVP (and Axiom?) have some great mids, from what I understand, though I've never thrown them. It would be easy to settle on some of those if you want to.

Lots of great mids out there these days... But there are some definite differences, so it tends to help one's game to settle on a smaller number to be able to work on form and shots on the course.

Latest posts