• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

most COMMON rule violations???

The issue people are trying to address about the jump putt rule is about another rule (I do not have a current rule book) but I believe the rule is you have to have a supporting point behind your marker when you release the disc, and many people jump and then release, meaning no point of contact behind your marker.
If you could jump then release before you hit the ground (like shooting a 3 pointer in basket ball) why don't guys run (sprint) to their lie when they are behind a tree and jump laterally to gain a few extra feet to get around from a tough lie?

I see many rules violations every tournament round I play...Open Masters tend to be lenient on some things and hyper critical on others. I've seen very lenient views of backing into lies...hitting a branch on numerous warm up motions...and the run up plant that is 8-10 inches off to the side of the mini. I've seen hyper critical calls about falling putts, arguments over what 'Ten Meters is'...I hear 30 feet...it's not...it's 32 feet...9 and 45/64ths of an inch...approximately :)

I think it has to do with Open Masters concentrating on the part of the game that truly matters most in our outcomes..and that is putting. When someone goes deep in the crude off a drive we tend to be more forgiving because we feel bad for them..but we won't let them putt illegally.

The two I see that drive me nuts....and they are nothing short of deliberate are:

1. Someone walks up to their lie and they lay the mini down to the right edge or the left edge of the disc...whichever gives them the advantage getting around an obstacle....instead of drawing a line from the basket straight down the center line of their disc...or before a dog leg....drawing a center line down the fairway center point thru their disc...and yes I realize this can get fuzzy when you are near the corner of the dogleg and then just let the guy mark it either way..but not something different for the sake of getting around an obstacle.

2. Walking up to your lie very quickly while everyone is catching up....tossing your mini down in front of your lie all willy nilly...could be six inches ahead of where it is supposed to be...and then have the audacity to put their foot up against the mini to putt and I'm watching the mini flip up as they shift weight in their putt.

I could mention a 3 here...but sometimes it is hard to tell if it is intentional or not..but still against the rules...the old 'Patent Pending Putt'....where you turn your back to your throw...place the opposite foot behind your lie...and throw out of trouble...but 99% of the people lift their supporting point behind their lie and spin on the supporting point that is out..thus giving them like 5 foot of clearance around obstacles.

I've changed from jump putting to the Feldberg Walk-Thru putt because some people said I was leaving the ground before I released...sometimes I wasn't...but other times???? Who knows...so I myself changed so nobody can try and use that to get in my head. After getting my form and technique on putting down...I have the strength to straddle at 25ft and just pound it in with very little effort...outside of 30ft I'll walk thru...and outside of 50ft I just toss one under the basket...take my 3 and walk on...I mean what's your percentage of making that shot anyway?...versus the extra stroke you could possibly take on a blow by that is once again outside your high percentage putting zone?

With all that said...I think the biggest rules violation is this: People only calling foot faults or other infractions when it suits the results....as in...if you miss the putt they won't call you on the back foot coming down pass your mini....they won't call a bad drive where your plant foot was 6 inches in front of the teepad when you released...they won't call you on a jump putt...if you miss....etc

Wow interesting reading, here in South Africa bending of the branches is done all the time (including myself).. will be interesting to see the guys reactions when i suggest we play to that rule.

They definitely need to point some of those slow-mo cameras at jump-putting pros. I think it would be fairly eye-opening. I saw a video of a long jump putt off a log that was a ridiculous violation but no one called it. Probably another rule that needs to be revised, because it's violated often and is very hard to call accurately.

Last edited:
Like I said earlier, I've never seen anyone actually do a legal jump putt. They all jump towards the target and release the disc after both feet have left the ground and are usually a good 2 foot ahead of their lie. You asked which one I see broken the most. This'd be the one. And for the record I never call anyone on these things, what I do is wait for a time and call them aside and have a quick word in private. Never get into any arguments about it on the course that way, and it makes them think about it a little.

yeah as a white boy i can't jump putt anyway... i would say that the majority of people i see trying to do this ends up really just throwing a falling putt any way... re-write the rule so that it is perfectly clear what the hell is going on in this motion...

Throwing discs more than 2 meters, taking second/even third shots from one lie, foot faults, not marking lies, flipping discs for marking lies, pissing on the fairways, littering, smoking, drinking, talking while someone is throwing, being in the flight path/walking ahead.

All kinds of things go on at my local course during casual play but when we have tournaments there the rules get tightened up and everyone complies.

Holding on to something BEHIND your lie is not prohibited by the rules, provided that the tree that the golfer is using as a supporting point is in-bounds (803.03.A (3)). The branch must not be moved, or else the player would be in violation of one or both of 803.04.D and 803.05.A, which require you to take the stance that results in the least movement of objects that are part of the course and which prohibit you from moving a branch to "make room for a throwing motion".

trampling the grass would violate this....so would pushing back into the brush

You are interpreting this completely wrong. If I were to step up to my marker and place my foot, I can get into my stance and have branches pressed against my back. I cannot walk ahead of the lie and press everything back, but anything behind the lie is allowed to be held back by my body but not by being held. I cannot grab a tree or branch and hold onto it, but I can get into my stance which may cause branches behind me to be moved by my body.

I could mention a 3 here...but sometimes it is hard to tell if it is intentional or not..but still against the rules...the old 'Patent Pending Putt'....where you turn your back to your throw...place the opposite foot behind your lie...and throw out of trouble...but 99% of the people lift their supporting point behind their lie and spin on the supporting point that is out..thus giving them like 5 foot of clearance around obstacles.

I'm fairly certain that I do this. I don't mean to. I try to keep my toe down but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't always stay down.

You are interpreting this completely wrong. If I were to step up to my marker and place my foot, I can get into my stance and have branches pressed against my back. I cannot walk ahead of the lie and press everything back, but anything behind the lie is allowed to be held back by my body but not by being held. I cannot grab a tree or branch and hold onto it, but I can get into my stance which may cause branches behind me to be moved by my body.

803.04 Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off

D. A player must choose the stance that will result in the least movement of any part of any obstacle that is a permanent or integral part of the course.

If you are bending branches to take your stance you are violating this rule.

Lets say you are under a bush. You can't bend the branches of the bush back to take your stance. You have to get down, slide a foot in and try to minimize movement. This includes movement from the natural position of the branch.

I think you are interpreting things differently. I have spent many a day in an awkward, one knee, almost on my side stance to try to avoid bending branches from their natural position. To do otherwise would require me to move them, which is against the rules.

You can't hold back the branches with your back.

Foot Faults
Falling Putts
Putting out with out marking discs
Moving/Breaking objects in your lie
Courtesy violations
Skipping Mando's
Throwing from OB
Ignoring OB
Of course, I run an Am League so thats where we teach these guys the rules.

thats solid info too :thmbup:

I've never seen an illegal jump putt. I've seen video of many of the most profient jump-putters and it's clear that in each case the disc has left the thrower's hand while his toe is still in contact with the ground. The idea is to generate more forward momentum than is possible while standing behind the lie. When you consider the mechanics of this throw, the point where the most momentum is generated is when the body first becomes fully extended. Anything before or after that point is wasted energy.

I think it would be very difficult to throw a disc after having left the ground, so much so that I can't imagine any advantage to even trying it. To suggest that you could accomplish this after having traveled 2 whole feet in the air, well I think it would 1) look really goofy, and 2) have less than desirable results for the player.

Latest posts