• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Holes Played in 24 Hours

Mr. Miller, the PDGA draws the line this way. 3600 feet minimum for 18 holes; or using the no hole less than 100 feet, then 1800 feet total would have to be the absolute minimum for 18.

I think that's where I'd draw the line. 100 feet minimum per hole. Hey, someone used actual data!

It only says "should". It doesn't say it's not a course if it is shorter.

I remember one of, if not THE first person from this site to break the old record. I believe it was Donovan. There was pics of his feet the next day. It was hard to look at. I am pretty sure that it was a course that averaged at least 150 ft. per hole, maybe more. I am sure that thread is around somewhere. If only Prerube was here. He always knew where all of the threads were hiding.

just wanted to second (or third or whatever) the idea for extra course categories, especially putting courses and mini courses, maybe even tone pole courses. and btw, what is a tiki course?

also liked the idea of having those pages be a different color. i'd also propose that on the course search page these separate course categories all be listed under one 'specialty course' tree that can be turned on or off in one click, or separately selected.

cool ideas, dudes

I remember one of, if not THE first person from this site to break the old record. I believe it was Donovan. There was pics of his feet the next day. It was hard to look at. I am pretty sure that it was a course that averaged at least 150 ft. per hole, maybe more. I am sure that thread is around somewhere. If only Prerube was here. He always knew where all of the threads were hiding.

Here you go: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11835

Feet pics post #206.

As far as I'm concerned, if there's at least one degisgated starting point and one designated finishing point, you have a hole. The distance between those points is irrelevant.

If you have at least two such things and some sort of alphanumeric designation of the order they should be played in, you have a course. You could set up baskets in your living room and bedroom, tape lines on the floor of where to tee from, degisnate one as '1' and the other as '2' and call that a course.

Now should that course be listed on here? Used to set a world record for most holes played in 24 hours? Taken with any grain of seriousness? Probably not on all three, but as far as some of us are concerned with respect to the record, that threshold has already been crossed, and with holes being a non-standardized unit of measurement (unlike say feet or meters), and no minimum distance standard established prior to so many attempts, that was inevitable.

Maybe the record should be for longest continuous time playing disc golf. Like the old dance marathons in "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?"

I think these speed records are dumb

Ok.

What if we break down these speed records into total course distance?

One world record for courses 3000 to 4000 long.
One for courses 2000 to 3000' long

etc?

Or something broken down like that. Obviously, a course record where the hole length average is 150' needs to be treated differently than a Houck Design course that is like 9000' or something crazy like that.

-Dave

Ok.

What if we break down these speed records into total course distance?

One world record for courses 3000 to 4000 long.
One for courses 2000 to 3000' long

etc?

Or something broken down like that. Obviously, a course record where the hole length average is 150' needs to be treated differently than a Houck Design course that is like 9000' or something crazy like that.

-Dave

Base it off distance covered, not quantity of holes.

Since this has sort of evolved into two different conversations...

The conversation about the course itself: how it should be listed/rated, etc... more appropriately belongs in the Michigan New Course Updates thread.

The conversation about the record, setting the record, and how short a course should be to set the record... belongs should continue in this thread.

The obvious point he was making was that you used a citation from the PDGA which clearly contradicts your claim.

It doesn't contradict it. Do you understand the meaning of the word contradict?

Base it off distance covered, not quantity of holes.

That's not what I am saying. Still count the number of holes but divide it up into categories based on course length. What you're suggesting is "lets see how far we can run while playing disc golf." I'd rather it still be how many DG holes can you play in 24 hrs on X length course.

-Dave

That's not what I am saying. Still count the number of holes but divide it up into categories based on course length. What you're suggesting is "lets see how far we can run while playing disc golf." I'd rather it still be how many DG holes can you play in 24 hrs on X length course.

-Dave

It would give a sense of actual achievement. Playing a 8000-foot course 7 times in a day (126 holes/56,000 feet) is much more impressive than playing a 500 foot course 100 times(1800 holes, 50,000 feet).

It doesn't contradict it. Do you understand the meaning of the word contradict?

Yes. I do, but apparently you don't.

You wrote this:

Mr. Miller, the PDGA draws the line this way. 3600 feet minimum for 18 holes; or using the no hole less than 100 feet, then 1800 feet total would have to be the absolute minimum for 18.

I think that's where I'd draw the line. 100 feet minimum per hole. Hey, someone used actual data!

Then, Steve pointed out that:

It only says "should". It doesn't say it's not a course if it is shorter.

Then you acknowledged the difference:

You're a genius. Thanks so much Captain Obvious.

For short courses, the PDGA clearly doesn't have any minimum lengths because these are only recommendations. But you say you they *draw the line* at 3600/1800 ft.

Ergo: Contradiction.

Do you have any other elementary school-level logic for me to make plain for you?

Last edited:

Latest posts