• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Most sensitive discs?

mutteriwiritys

Birdie Member
Hello!

I've been playing disc golf for a summer now, and my goal is to improve fast - just like most other addicted players out there. I've already got rid out of my few high-speed drivers I had bought when I didn't know much about disc golf yet.

As a good form is the basis for ability to throw well all kinds of shots, I'm going to practice it to a good level right in the beginning so I don't have to fix it a lot later..

I've heard that for example the Comet is a very sensitive disc and will punish hard if thrown incorrectly, so it's seems like a very popular disc for "form-fixing".

So I'm wondering, what other discs are very sensitive like the Comet and good for "form-fixing"?

Putters, Lids, and Comets.

I would suggest trying a Superhero. If you can throw that cleanly at full power, your form is pretty darn smooth.

I'm a big fan of throwing putters. It's helped my game a ton. However, somthing for you to think about, drivers are actually more sensitive when it comes to nose angle.

Seasoned speed Six fairway drivers (Cheetah, Cyclone, Gazelle, Leopard, etc.) or a seasoned moderately overstable mid (DX Roc is the best example), all in base plastic. You'll learn a lot by throwing them.

I agree with what everyone is saying here. Comets and putters are great for cleaning up your form. Like with everything, there are caveats with each type of disc. Putters generally require a slightly nose-up release to get long distances which can be a problem when switching to drivers. Mids aren't as nose angle sensitive but still won't really help you with a nose-down release angle. Drivers can be much more forgiving of strong-arming and OAT which can result in creating bad habits.

The thing with Comets is that when you throw them either correctly or incorrectly, you'll definitely know it. Being slow, smooth and explosive will result in an absolutely gorgeous flight. In my experience, an Axis can be thrown like a driver (nose-down) and get a really nice, low-line flight. It's one of those discs that can be thrown with nose-up and not really stall as well as nose-down which results in a driver-like flight. My advice is to throw neutral discs (not understable or overstable) in all three categories: putters, mids and drivers. On the driver side, Leopards can be a good place to good start.

if you want to practice with drivers take 150 class discs (no blizzard etc.) or little beat up base plastic. try to keep silly understable disc stable.

I disagree with the Axis.

Throw some neutral discs in baseline plastic in light weights or 170g. Dx plastic, pro D, etc.
If you can make those discs fly smooth without wobble, and go far without trying too hard, you're doing good.

Everyone's suggesting putters, and they're right. But some putters won't work for this. Stay away from OS putters like the Pig, Rhyno, Zone, Sinus, VP, etc.

slower beaded putters will also show release angle/arm motion flaws as they tend to hold the initial line in which they are put on longer IMO compared to how an unbeaded disc would. You put OAT on a beaded disc and its going to turn bad where un-beaded tend to just go right or even straight given the mold and relative speed with less noticeable "wobble" on bad throws or like said above can also be covered up by a disc being too OS. Middle of the road in regards to stability is always best IMO for learning.

If you want to go driver, a light Latitude 64 River can be pretty damn sensitive to OAT. But it has to be a lighter one.

neutral flying stuff gives good feed back on you ,not the disc.......i made early improvements with mako. it will hold the angle you release and help you make corrections. stuff thats too flippy will get you going down the hyzer flip road. not the best form. thats what happen to me, now trying to break that habbit with more stable stuff.

Comets can be unforgiving, but as for a class of discs, I'd have to say lightweight high speed drivers.

neutral flying stuff gives good feed back on you ,not the disc.......i made early improvements with mako. it will hold the angle you release and help you make corrections. stuff thats too flippy will get you going down the hyzer flip road. not the best form. thats what happen to me, now trying to break that habbit with more stable stuff.
Still that's not the exactly same thing, having a flippy disc or having a sensitive disc. Comet will fly straight with good form I've heard but for example those DX discs will flip to the right even with good form.

Latest posts