• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Axis

I have to agree with you guys. I played a game with my axis since the dome popped up. although it did farther cause it was fly flipping flat (I had a beautiful hyzer to flat flip that went just over 300' with a strong headwind), it wasn't doing what I wanted it to do. It wasn't holding a line as It did fresh out of the box. I did my flattening method and put the disc in the freezer. hopefully the hot to cold with make the plastic hold it's new shape. I'll post some before and after pics and let you guys know how it worked.

Last edited:
Threw my Axis a bit today. I will say it flies straight and seems to be capable of the distances I get out of Fuses, but I only felt comfortable driving with it and not so much backing off. Think it is more about it being ~10g heavier I imagine. Still have some testing to do as I had a lot of trees to hit today.

Whoa whoa whoa, when did they start selling discs? The one on glenwood? How much are they there and what colors did they get?

Also, is it "supposed" to be domey or flat? Which one do I want to try if I want consistency through subsequent runs?

Also would like to know if those UV blues are flat or domey...

Yea they started selling discs when they opened for the season in august. I havnt seen what MVP they have now, I asked them to call me when it came in which was Thursday, I'm going up there tomorrow to grab some discs.

After looking at my red axis in the sun it's definitely orangish so that makes sense with what discspeed was saying about his red/orange.

Yea they started selling discs when they opened for the season in august. I havnt seen what MVP they have now, I asked them to call me when it came in which was Thursday, I'm going up there tomorrow to grab some discs.

After looking at my red axis in the sun it's definitely orangish so that makes sense with what discspeed was saying about his red/orange.

Cool man, let me know what you find! Has PIAS up there started carrying MVP and Lat 64 yet? I don't get up there regularly, but Cary isn't too far away...I'm just lazy...and MSt gets here like 2 days after I order. :D

I had my first opportunity with the axis and I'm pretty impressed with it. It held every line beautifully.

I did most of my driving with it where I had thrown other discs in the past. There was a little bit of wind, but nothing that seemed to throw it off.

I had my best round today shooting a -9 where my previous best was a -5.

I got a green 178 gram one today. Enjoyed throwing it in the woods. Stayed nice and straight as advertised.

Cool man, let me know what you find! Has PIAS up there started carrying MVP and Lat 64 yet? I don't get up there regularly, but Cary isn't too far away...I'm just lazy...and MSt gets here like 2 days after I order. :D

the pias moved to right near cedar hills and the don't carry either as of about a month ago

Whoa whoa whoa, when did they start selling discs? The one on glenwood? How much are they there and what colors did they get?

Also, is it "supposed" to be domey or flat? Which one do I want to try if I want consistency through subsequent runs?

Also would like to know if those UV blues are flat or domey...
They are all closer to flat with a small but gradual dome. There were only a few pink ones that were a little more domey and I had them accomodate for this while being made. This means there are only a small handful of the pinks that had more dome, so all the rest are closer to flat/small tiny dome.

just flattened out my pink AXIS. it's actually domed inward a bit but I know it will come back and hopefully be perfectly flat. Here's how I did it.
Here's how it looke prior to alterations.
2011-09-24_22-53-12_153.jpg

I took my usual disc altering bowl and put about 2 cups of realy hot water heated in the micro wave in the bottom then sealed the disc stamp side up in the bowl.
2011-09-24_22-54-59_755.jpg

The cooling water creates negative pressure and sucks the dome of the disc in, the heat helps soften the plastic and gives it new memory to hold it's new shape.

2011-09-24_22-55-14_712.jpg

and here it is after 15min. in the bowl and 2 hours of sitting so it can settle.

2011-09-24_23-02-34_593.jpg

it is perfectly flat and I expect it to stay that way.

Let me know how that throws, post-modification, DJ. :p

I ordered a red one from MS and got one of these domey pink ones. It is definitely pretty stable, more so than my Glo Buzzzes. I'll probably just put it in a box and see if people end up wanting them...and I'll order some other color in the meantime, cause I want to try some Axis-y goodness.

178g yellow axis played a round today with it.
First impressions:
Like a faster, glidier buzzz, with a little more fade.
Annies better than a buzzz, and throws a little further with less effort.
If you already throw a buzzz or ion, you can will be throwing the axis comfortably immediately.

I ordered my Axis two Thursday's ago as well as an Ion. The Ion showed up this last Thursday but my Axis has yet arrive. :( Whats the deal?

I ordered my Axis two Thursday's ago as well as an Ion. The Ion showed up this last Thursday but my Axis has yet arrive. :( Whats the deal?

From where? Some online dealers sell discs before they actually have them in inventory...

I would call them at Disc golf center. I had to do that once and they assured me it was in the mail, and then it came 3 days later. Pretty sure they didn't ship my order until I called, like it had been forgotten or something.

Been very disappointed with DGC lately so have been using DTW and MST.

Finally got to play a round today and tried to throw the Vector and Axis as much as possible...usually both on every hole.

Both remind me of Rocs as far as feel and flight..the Vector is that slightly more overstable brand new Roc that we all wish would stay that way and the Axis was like that just seasoned Roc that wants to turn slightly, but hold any line...and they fly at Buzzz speed. No problem getting my expected 300 ft. The Axis did power down really well, too. I threw it on a couple of short holes (250ish) and it held straight with only a bit of fade at the end.

I know its an Axis thread, but I was impressed with the Vector's distance, not being much shorter than the Axis, but with that reliable fade. I will definately use both.

I did notice that a sloppy release will send them over...something that a Z Buzzz helps me cover up. The rim is about the same thickness as a Roc, too, but with more of an inner slant.

One thing that I liked about the Buzzz (and this is completely my preference) is that it fit my hand better so my release was a bit more consistent. I think if I commit to the change, I will work out the release issues and remaining OAT. I'll probably be a better player for it in the long run.

Overall, I'm very impressed with it...MVP captured all the good parts of the two most popular mids and combined them.

178g yellow axis played a round today with it.
First impressions:
Like a faster, glidier buzzz, with a little more fade.
Annies better than a buzzz, and throws a little further with less effort.
If you already throw a buzzz or ion, you can will be throwing the axis comfortably immediately.

Faster, glidier buzzz? So it's a driver. :|

I see some online retailers list the Axis as "UV Blue", and some as "Clear". Now I know the blue is very transparent, but are there indeed colorless clear ones out there, or are they really just the UV Blue?

...One thing that I liked about the Buzzz (and this is completely my preference) is that it fit my hand better so my release was a bit more consistent...

This is my only concern with the Axis. According to the technical standards, the Axis is 2mm taller than the Buzzz (2.1cm vs 1.9cm). Did you get some forehand throws in? Would you say it's comfortable?

Latest posts