• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well for now, you need to suck it up or bring a towel with.

How do you suppose they make a non-glossy feeling disc? Add texture? Have you ever thrown on of the 2nd run Ions? The texturing on the bottom is super slick.

dont be a fool now, the texturing is crap, i know.. i used to have multiple 2nd runs

i DONT want the texturing.. im interested in a DIFFERENT plastic all together.

do you guys know how to read? this is getting annoying =/ please go back and read what i said before posting another reply. "different plastic" does not mean "texturing on the bottom" thats not what i meant in any way.

wow you guys are crazy.. just because i suggest a different feeling plastic doesn't mean "low quality" or "base line" i dont see why they cant just make a plastic that feels more chalky, gummy, etc..? Anything... i just dont always like to throw these glossy feeling discs all the time, sometimes i need a diferent feeling plastic in wet/cold/sandy conditions..

get real guys.. this glossy plastic they have works great for normal conditions, but anything other than normal conditions and they become harder to grip.

i took my Neutron Ion out for a spin today and it landed in some very fine dusty dirt and my fingers just slipped all over the disc when trying to keep a grip... it SUCKED.

Most importantly, why wont they make Stiff discs.. this is what many of the people i play with want.. i talked to Dave Feldberg about MVP briefly and he said he didnt like how soft these discs are, He and I agreed that its harder to have a consistent grip and flight when you cant even get a solid firm grip on your disc.

So 2 things...

1 - Plastic with a different feel or consistency
2 - Plastic that is more stiff and allows for consistent grip and flight

Now im going to get flamed by some MVP fan boy tards im sure..
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE MVP discs! i just want them to be the best in every way :)

This is my feedback to MVP

Want to re-iterate, i dont mean keep the same plastic and just add sand blast texture to it, thats silly, im talking a whole new type of polymer plastic all together that has a completely different feel

While I probably wouldn't use it myself, I have to agree. A grippy pro-type of plastic would make mvp attractive to a whole new group of players. I can't imagine they are unaware of this. I guess this could be difficult or even impossible given mvp's focus on consistency, but I can't remember any comments from them on this except for the usual "anything could happen in the future"

1 - Plastic with a different feel or consistency.

Man, things get crazy in here at night.:gross:

First I just want to say that the MVP guys are extremely hard working and busy exploding the company...Every suggestion that has surfaced more than once on this thread they have researched>gotten ideas about how to possibly make it happen. The issue is that there is simply so much to do that they have to be extremely smart and careful about their immediate priorities, which I understand is to get more molds out so they are a viable, stand-alone DG manufacturer. There are many discs already designed, they are learning how to make molds(in house), so the momentum is picking up faster than ever.

When they choose to start doing serious production minded R&D on a totally new polymer family it will be expensive and time consuming, so they need to have a lot of other things on autopilot before they can devote the kind of resources necessary to do that right. As I understand this is the reality of the situation. So despite what anyone else says on this thread, MVP is not ignoring this request.

On a similar note I talked to the MVP guys about their plastic (and Lat's as well) and why it felt so different than say champ/Z when it is made of similar components...They said it was because their molds (and Lat's as well) or so new (and high quality) that the discs come out perfectly smooth, where when the molds get older (like Innova/DC) they get worn so that there is a microtexture on the inside of the mold that affects the surface feel of the plastic (and yes, this has given them some other ideas to test in the future).

I have a couple responses for this.

I'm lucky enough to live somewhere where I've gotten to meet/play with almost all of the world's top rated players. The trend I notice is that the older pros (especially Innova) do really prefer stiffer discs. Personally my take on this is that they learned to play with old dx/then CE where stiff = better in every way (durability, flight, grip), so that is what they are accustomed to. I say this because I don't see this trend in the bags and minds of the new generation of disc golfers nearly as much (though nobody likes really FLX-y plastic).

So there is certainly a market for stiffer discs...However, this is NOT what the PDGA wants. I'm not sure how many people noticed, but FR Vectors as well as the first run of proton Ions were stiffer than the newer discs. Those were barely approved do to the stiffness, so they've had to dial it down. Now I don't know if the PDGA would really flex their muscle on MVP, but I do know that MVP doesn't want to push their luck and disregard these guidelines (like some others have).

I also want to note that MVP gets more ideas out of constructive criticism than they do from people exclaiming how awesome their discs are, so by all means keep it coming!:thmbup:

yes you are misunderstanding me.

some people like stiff plastic, have you ever thrown a stiff aviar? its easy to have a perfect consistent release each time because it has absolutely NO GIVE.

and like i said, some people prefer different characteristics, "to you" its stiff.. but to me its soft. Hence why they put "soft" and "Medium" on the protons.

Maybe you cant read? im not sure.

I think they should add a Harder plastic to the lineup as well as a different feeling disc

So, do you a want a rock hard putter like some of the "soft" Wizards?

I think the market for very stiff putters is fading away. How does the soft Proton sell compared to regular? How do SSS, and SS Wizards sell compared to S?

Sure, there are guys out there that want to throw bricks, but sales most likely show otherwise.

Besides, they have too much to worry about before making another plastic.

haha.. well still, theres no reason they cant make a different feeling plastic besides "glossy"

A premium plastic that isn't glossy? I'm not sure that exists. Even the grippiest nice plastic I have (a very odd Star Monster) has some gloss to it.

dont be a fool now

do you guys know how to read?

wow you guys are crazy..

get real guys..

Also,

For you kids out there:

your all avoiding my suggestion like good little fan boys..

Maybe you cant read? im not sure.

Why all the insults and name calling? Maybe putting people on the defensive for no apparent reason is preventing them from having an honest discussion with you. Took me a minute to sift through your insulting comments to find your point, is this really the best way to get your message across?

I don't see any reason why anyone would shoot down your message, asking for a harder disc is well within reason. As you stated, they have Soft and Medium, so there is an obvious hole in the line up. And to bring in some of those players who prefer a harder disc to a softer disc, it would be beneficial to explore this option. I hope the MVP rep reads this and considers it. Good feedback. :thmbup:

But if you are resigned to name calling and labeling anyone who doesnt understand you a "fan boy tard", you are diluting your own message and that would be a shame. As the old saying goes, you attract more bees with honey than you do with vinegar. Just my $.02.

I have zero interest in baseline MVP.

Things I would like to see:
- Soft Neutron plastic
- Understable mid-range
- Super overstable approach (something between the Zone and Gator)

THIS! Only thing I might add is some lighter weights, but I realize that may be impossible. I have switched from Axis/Vector to Pain/Warship because of lighter weights, and that the Axis wasn't quite understable enough for me.

An understable midrange would be nice.^^^ :eek::eek:

THIS! I stopped using the Axis because it didn't seem to fly as well for me at lower speeds as I wanted.

wow you guys are crazy.. just because i suggest a different feeling plastic doesn't mean "low quality" or "base line" i dont see why they cant just make a plastic that feels more chalky, gummy, etc..? Anything... i just dont always like to throw these glossy feeling discs all the time, sometimes i need a diferent feeling plastic in wet/cold/sandy conditions..

get real guys.. this glossy plastic they have works great for normal conditions, but anything other than normal conditions and they become harder to grip.

i took my Neutron Ion out for a spin today and it landed in some very fine dusty dirt and my fingers just slipped all over the disc when trying to keep a grip... it SUCKED.

Most importantly, why wont they make Stiff discs.. this is what many of the people i play with want.. i talked to Dave Feldberg about MVP briefly and he said he didnt like how soft these discs are, He and I agreed that its harder to have a consistent grip and flight when you cant even get a solid firm grip on your disc.

So 2 things...

1 - Plastic with a different feel or consistency

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE MVP discs! i just want them to be the best in every way :)

This is my feedback to MVP

So you and Dave don't like soft ones huh. Proton is very stiff, I'd say MVP is as stiff as anything Innova makes.

Last edited:
Proton is very stiff, I'd say as stiff as anything Innova makes.

As stiff anything Innova is currently making, though there are a lot of old Innova discs that are stiffer. As the sport has grown the PDGA has toughened up on enforcing rigidity standards. This probably has to do with more people playing and greater chance of injury.

I have a brand new Proton Anode right here with me. Very little flex to it, and it definitely wouldn't flex with the benign motion of a putt. As Discspeed said before though, the "Medium" 2nd runs, along with the FR Vectors were VERY stiff.

I have a brand new Proton Anode right here with me. Very little flex to it, and it definitely wouldn't flex with the benign motion of a putt. As Discspeed said before though, the "Medium" 2nd runs, along with the FR Vectors were VERY stiff.

Can it be verified that all the textured opaque discs were done during one run? I find this terminology to be somewhat deceptive. I would think that with how many of the textured ions there are floating around there would have been more than one run. I have also seen sellers calling anything opaque "2nd run" textured or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.