• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Shock

keltik1

* Ace Member *
just announced today I think.

http://www.mvpdiscsports.com/

discuss (or merge with another thread.)

From MVP:

The Shock is our slightly overstable fairway driver.

The Shock is a more stable complement to the Volt. With a high power throw, it will hold a long straight line with less turn and immense glide followed by a late dependable fade.

That description sounds nice, I would rather see no turn, but this sounds like a good disc for their fairway line. It sounds like they are leaving the door open for an overstable fairway.

Jesse B 707 said:
Frank Delicious said:
God I hope this is what I wanted the volt to be.

Me too...but if it feels that shallow you can count me out.
Yep, that shallow feel the volt has is really tough for my grip, pretty much rules the volt, mamba, tern, etc out for me.

so the Volt and Mamba have the same depth? I have a Mamba and really like the lines it produces. the grip can be weird. I don't throw the Mamba often. I don't know if I'd want a workhorse driver in that depth...

It is ok for us with smaller hands and fingers but mine seems to flip and fade more than a straight disc should. In fact mine flew like a faster longer new C Eagle L or a broken in SEX. Good for s-curves but not lasers. There are different Volts out there and those are the ones that i'd like to have gotten instead. Who knows i might already have a Shock flight wise in my Volts.

JR said:
It is ok for us with smaller hands and fingers but mine seems to flip and fade more than a straight disc should. In fact mine flew like a faster longer new C Eagle L or a broken in SEX. Good for s-curves but not lasers. There are different Volts out there and those are the ones that i'd like to have gotten instead. Who knows i might already have a Shock flight wise in my Volts.

My Volt flew somewhat like 1st run S-CD's do for me, just not quite as consistently (my form is horrible still). I've also seen someone throw perfectly straight drives with another Volt.

From the descriptions of others here there are different kinds of Volts and looking at the videos by MikeC his disc is better than mine but still fading more than the longer River. Thrown low enough or with great spin the good Volts can be laser straight but that is true of many discs. My FR S CD is way more HSS and noticeably more LSS and more power hungry than the Volts i have. They would complement each other nicely but frankly i'd pick the FR CD River or Leo combo for different stabilities out of FWs first. But i don't do that i'm often not carrying two FWs unless there is wind and if i do it is beefier trick shot disc or a real wind beater (the same disc two roles) meaning probably an FLX Predator.

Disc variances suck.

I like shallower rim discs, such as the Classic Roc, XD, Clutch, Buzzz, Wasp, Squall, etc.. All this talk makes me want to pick up both a Volt and a Schock.

JHern said:
I like shallower rim discs, such as the Classic Roc, XD, Clutch, Buzzz, Wasp, Squall, etc.. All this talk makes me want to pick up both a Volt and a Schock.

Volt and Shock do have 1mm shallower rim than classic Roc. How shallow do you want to go? :)
1,1cm that Volt and Shock have is pretty common tho. Lots of drivers with the same depth (TD, Assassin, Leopard, Beast, Halo and dozens of others).

I think it is more the combination of wing width and depth that throws many people off. This past off season I have bagged a Leopard, Mamba, AMP, and Bolt. They are all the same depth according to the PDGA sheet, but they feel shallower as the rim gets wider. oddly the AMP feels just as shallow as the Mamba even though the wing is narrower. The Bolt almost feels too shallow but I can still get monster drives with it (needs a lot of lateral space). It may be that 19mm is the point at which an 11mm rim depth becomes awkward.

Here is the Zam/Skulboy stamp collaboration created by Disc Nation for the Shock.

8403492797_ceb853539e_o.jpg

And a link to explain how it all happened.
http://skulboydesigns.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-astounding-genesis-of-mvp-shock.html

Thanks for looking.

OMG you guys actually did the collaboration stamp?!!?!?!?!?!?!? the nWo has indeed begun...

EDIT: to avoid gushing I will just say that you and ZAM are both very skilled artists and I admire and appreciate both of your respective works. SB your stuff reminds me of the comics I read as a teenager.

Thanks, Keltik!
It was a really fun project and an honor to work with Zam.

I grew up around comics and still collect so my style most definitely reflects that.

Latest posts