• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

They retooled a lot of molds while bringing production in-house.
Volts became a lot more stable. Amazing for flex lines, not so good for hyzer flips or lower speeds. All new volts (fission may be an exception) will be the more overstable kind, like the cosmics.

Volts became a lot more stable. Amazing for flex lines, not so good for hyzer flips or lower speeds. All new volts (fission may be an exception) will be the more overstable kind, like the cosmics.

Yeah...wtf...i just saw the descriptions on OTB of the Volts. They all have DOME....

I thought I read that somewhere too. Do you know how to tell the difference? I just got an eclipse volt that I haven't gotten a chance to throw, and am hoping it's not too beefy.

I thought I read that somewhere too. Do you know how to tell the difference? I just got an eclipse volt that I haven't gotten a chance to throw, and am hoping it's not too beefy.

From my pretty decent understanding of things....the "retooling" didn't involve actually changing the molding surfaces of the tools. The changes you're seeing are likely from the different machines they are now running them on and the new/different parameters.

They haven't run eclipse volts in a minute so I doubt it's a new run.

The way to tell is look at the bottom of the flight plate. There should be two marks where the injection molding took place. If they're the size of a dime and about two inches from the edge of the disc they're the old mold. If they're the size of a pea and within an inch of the edge of the wing it's the new mold.

They got new machines and redid a lot of the molds to fly like they were initially intended to. So I think they actually did retool the mold in some instances vs it just molding up different.

Yeah...wtf...i just saw the descriptions on OTB of the Volts. They all have DOME....

Yeah I'm a sucker for board flat discs and wasn't happy to see the new proton volts are all domey. I actually just took volt out of the bag - reactors go so dang far with such good HSS that I throw them 350-360. My board flat new run Photons pick up from there. So no need for the volt :(

From my pretty decent understanding of things....the "retooling" didn't involve actually changing the molding surfaces of the tools. The changes you're seeing are likely from the different machines they are now running them on and the new/different parameters.

You likely have a better understanding than I do, but I thought I read somewhere they did in fact redo the entire mold - that could just be straight horse manure that my mind made up though. At any rate, I prefer the flight of the new runs better but wish they were flat like most other MVP discs.

You likely have a better understanding than I do, but I thought I read somewhere they did in fact redo the entire mold - that could just be straight horse manure that my mind made up though. At any rate, I prefer the flight of the new runs better but wish they were flat like most other MVP discs.

I've actually done the retrofitting that they had to do. It involves basically redoing a lot of things, but the one thing that doesn't need to change is the actual molding surfaces. It's mostly nozzles, locating rings, water fittings, thermocouple wiring, ejector system tie-ins, things like that.

Sounds like they reworked cooling systems, which could be to blame for the change in the discs we are seeing.

*Basing my info off one of their lab report videos and my personal knowledge in what it requires to run old molds on new equipment*

I don't think they've run an eclipse volt in the last 3 years.. Or longer. The 2018 envy was the first glow flight plate and I don't think they've produced a glow rim since.

I also don't think dome will be a bad thing for the volt.. I enjoy my fr medium dome, those early volts were sought after because they are slightly domey and not board flat, unlike some of my other fr's haha :D. The early flattys fly more stable both ends, less glide.

I think the dome should moderate the flight and break in to a solid disc. Might make it a touch more hss but also less lss with added glide. I haven't seen a new one or thrown them though. My medium dome 165 fission fresh is very close to my fr 172 medium (5-6/10) with the benefit of 7g less.

Last edited:
Help! I recently purchased a Fission Volt 165g, my initial impression is rather poor. I'm fully willing to admit it could be (probably is) operator error but I can't seem to get the a decent flight out of it. Also it seems to slip a bit in my grip. The flight seems to be a less glidey more dumpy Teebird, could be the newness of it and it just needs to get broken it a bit.

I tossed my newly acquired beat in Fission and now I'm confused as to throw this or my Clash.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Got my hands on a 165 Neutron volt very happy with it I'm considering trying to get a fission one but I'm wondering if they tend to come out with a dome or flat? I have a fission that's fairly flat

Got my hands on a 165 Neutron volt very happy with it I'm considering trying to get a fission one but I'm wondering if they tend to come out with a dome or flat? I have a fission that's fairly flat

The last two fissions I bought are flatter than the proton I have.

I don't have a lot of Volts but it seems my older ones were pretty much all flat regardless of plastic.

My more recent acquisitions mostly have a mild dome but I have two cosmic neutrons that have a very noticeable dome and are noticeably more overstable than my other Volts.

I keep coming back to and moving away from Volts....I recently saw a beautiful blue sparkle from an older run and it's unbelievable....flies like no other Volt I've thrown before. I'm hoping I can get away with that, a cosmic for OS, and an electron for US and be set.

Hey, all. I'm very new to the MVP world. Recently picked up some overmold stuff to play around with, one of which is the Volt. I have one in Neutron and one in Plasma. I thought by the numbers and the reviews I'd read, it would fly a lot like my Rivals or Instincts.

However, they're way more overstable than I thought they'd be. Definitely more OS than my Teebird3. Certainly not long and straight with a moderate fade. They fly like baby Firebirds. Did I get weird ones? They're both board-flat.

Hmm. I guess you got weird ones. I have them in Neutron, Plasma, and Cosmic Neutron. The cosmic has noticeably more fade than the others but they are all pretty straight flyers with a 1.5 to 2.0 fade at the end. The cosmic is probably a 2.5 fade but definitely nowhere near anything like a Firebird.

Hey, all. I'm very new to the MVP world. Recently picked up some overmold stuff to play around with, one of which is the Volt. I have one in Neutron and one in Plasma. I thought by the numbers and the reviews I'd read, it would fly a lot like my Rivals or Instincts.

However, they're way more overstable than I thought they'd be. Definitely more OS than my Teebird3. Certainly not long and straight with a moderate fade. They fly like baby Firebirds. Did I get weird ones? They're both board-flat.

Im not saying this to be a dick.... :D haha.... Any chance you are trying to throw them nose up? Because gyro don't play that way homie. Gyro punishes you for nose up.

With a lot of gyro too it doesn't hurt to drop 3 or 4g down from your regular weight. That said I look for mild domes and weights around 167 or less.. From what I can tell my dome love is a minority preference. Depending on power (I'm 330' maybe).. I think the flat will turn more but fade harder if you have more juice. I haven't thrown any new ones

New volts are beef. I can get a relay or crave out in the 350-380 range forehand and maybe 320-330 with a volt?

New proton and CN volts fly like pd's. Buddy of mine can push 450 backhand and my volts are beefy for him too.

Latest posts