• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My version of the Grip Eq bag

Yeah I have some of that for the bottom but I was talking about the whole bag :)

The stuff I listed is pretty legit. Super high silicone content and no harmful aerosol spray, it's a pump. Multiple applications make it work better.

I didn't even see your stuff Rogue. I was hoping to find something I didn't have to order though.

If there is a store that sells high quality boots (Danner, White's etc.) and or repairs boots and leather ( in other words a cobbler) they may stock it. Otherwise you can find similar but lower quality products in the camping section of your local China product retail store (Walmart). :)

Cabela's Bag

Hell yeah...just picked up 2 on Friday for my son and I and we played two rounds on Sat and one on Sun. I love it without the internal frame but might put one together this week just to see. Thanks to everyone and all the great ideas for modifications.
Without any mods - 22 discs in the bottom - Banger GT/FLX Buzz/King in top pocket
Towels, cell phone, wallet, LED kits, duct tape, knife, sharpies, pencils, scorecards, misc food, & 4 Beers in the other pockets!!
On sale for $49.99 are you kidding me??

Great deal - thanks again guys!

I tried out this configuration and really liked getting the discs from the top rather than the bottom-front. I still wanted to have some storage space, so I made this--
img5419fv.jpg

So the discs are now sitting a bit higher. Since I hacked off the sunglasses holder, the top-front flap can be folded in.
img5422e.jpg

Opening the bottom-front, you can store a few things: couple of water bottles, some extra towels, or even a small insulated lunch bag.
img5423nx.jpg

Yes, when you open the bottom, you will see the bottom of the discs. I didn't want the discs to sit too high, so I tried varying heights. This is what I settled on. Plus, the strip between the bottom and top openings help to hold in the discs.

One thing I did notice is that there's a slight bulge from the discs in the middle of the back. Nothing extreme; most of the weight is now there instead of the bottom. Also, I think with this setup you may lose a disc or two of capacity. Not sure. I've got 4 putters (not counting the two in the pocket), 4 mids, 4 fairways, and 4 drivers with room for one more driver.

I have yet to take it on course to give it a real go.

I like they way you did your config. It does add a little more variation to the bag. :hfive:

Man, I certainly hope that this bag being 'discontinued' means that they are modifying it and coming out with a new version, rather than just simply discontinuing it. From what I understand it's very popular, so I can't imagine it actually getting discontinued.

I found this thread in early December and started talking about my bag ideas with relatives. Well, too my surprise, I received one as a gift for Christmas but it's the XPG "X-TREME" model (the more expensive one) and the lower compartment seems smaller than the one that's mostly featured here, but I do like the additional smaller compartments. I did see some pictures of the "X-TREME" early on in the thread but no mod suggestions. Anybody else using this one? and if so what mods did you make to it and if you added PVC frame, what dimensions? Would I be better off exchanging it for the other model?

Thanks.

Dimensions?

Hey Yang,

What are those dimensions of the PVC?

I tried out this configuration and really liked getting the discs from the top rather than the bottom-front. I still wanted to have some storage space, so I made this--
img5419fv.jpg

So the discs are now sitting a bit higher. Since I hacked off the sunglasses holder, the top-front flap can be folded in.
img5422e.jpg

Opening the bottom-front, you can store a few things: couple of water bottles, some extra towels, or even a small insulated lunch bag.
img5423nx.jpg

Yes, when you open the bottom, you will see the bottom of the discs. I didn't want the discs to sit too high, so I tried varying heights. This is what I settled on. Plus, the strip between the bottom and top openings help to hold in the discs.

One thing I did notice is that there's a slight bulge from the discs in the middle of the back. Nothing extreme; most of the weight is now there instead of the bottom. Also, I think with this setup you may lose a disc or two of capacity. Not sure. I've got 4 putters (not counting the two in the pocket), 4 mids, 4 fairways, and 4 drivers with room for one more driver.

I have yet to take it on course to give it a real go.

If there is a store that sells high quality boots (Danner, White's etc.) and or repairs boots and leather ( in other words a cobbler) they may stock it. Otherwise you can find similar but lower quality products in the camping section of your local China product retail store (Walmart). :)
Silicone and similar fabric treatments need to be re-applied periodically (just like shoes) and only make the fabric water resistant, not water proof. Play a soggy course and I bet the bottom is nasty after 18 holes of setting it down on soggy fairways and muddy areas. Also, it does nothing to improve durability. I suppose you could use it on the rest of the bag, but, other than the bottom, I don't see the need to make the bag water repellent.

If you're looking to treat the bottom of the bag, nothing beats the brush on Plasti-Dip. Not only does it water proof the bottom, but it's quite tough and fairly abrasion/wear resistant - it will really extend the life of your bag if you do it early (i.e. before fabric shows significant signs of wear). Flex Seal and Plast-Dip Spray work well, and are are easy to apply, but simply don't provide as much wear resistance as the brush-on's thicker coats. 3-4 coats should give you lots of ptotection and truly water proof the bottom. Plus, it makes it easy to clean mud and dirt of the bottom.

Last edited:
Silicone and similar fabric treatments need to be re-applied periodically (just like shoes) and only make the fabric water resistant, not water proof. Play a soggy course and I bet the bottom is nasty after 18 holes of setting it down on soggy fairways and muddy areas. Also, it does nothing to improve durability. I suppose you could use it on the rest of the bag, but, other than the bottom, I don't see the need to make the bag water repellent.

If you're looking to treat the bottom of the bag, nothing beats the brush on Plasti-Dip. Not only does it water proof the bottom, but it's quite tough and fairly abrasion/wear resistant - it will really extend the life of your bag if you do it early (i.e. before fabric shows significant signs of wear). Flex Seal and Plast-Dip Spray work well, and are are easy to apply, but simply don't provide as much wear resistance as the brush-on's thicker coats. 3-4 coats should give you lots of ptotection and truly water proof the bottom. Plus, it makes it easy to clean mud and dirt of the bottom.

I think he said he already coated the bottom and he was looking for water resistance for the rest of the bag.

Hey Yang,

What are those dimensions of the PVC?

I used larrod's dimensions for the basic setup. discdognation posted a youtube with dimensions at the end of his vid. I think he did a full box if I recall correctly.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1735742&postcount=385

For the setup I changed to:
4 x three way elbow
4 x 90 degree elbow
4 x tee
4 x 10 7/8 inch
4 x 3.5 inch
2 x 6.5 inch
4 x 1 1/4 inch

All doable with one 10 ft pvc pipe.

Not sure how it'll go with the larger backpack.

Thank you

I used larrod's dimensions for the basic setup. discdognation posted a youtube with dimensions at the end of his vid. I think he did a full box if I recall correctly.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1735742&postcount=385

For the setup I changed to:
4 x three way elbow
4 x 90 degree elbow
4 x tee
4 x 10 7/8 inch
4 x 3.5 inch
2 x 6.5 inch
4 x 1 1/4 inch

All doable with one 10 ft pvc pipe.

Not sure how it'll go with the larger backpack.

Yeah I watched the discdognation vid and was going to use that frame but I'm not sure it will fit in the X-treme version. I sent a PM to Younggunlefty to get his dimensions since he has the same bag as I.

Thanks again!

I'll be testing out the Cabella XPG X-TREME version today, on my lunch break, sans PVC frame or sealant. I'll report back. It was nice to be able load my discs as well as my cold-weather clothing, including shoes, all in one bag for a change.

Hooray for Hockey!

Has anyone tried painting the bag at all? I am looking to paint the dark green panels. I am trying on a small section now with acrylic paint, but its not looking so good so far. Anyone suggestions would be awesome. Thanks.

I made mine at the start of the 2012 season and here is what it looks like now, at the start of the 2013 season. Got it for $49 and free shipping. Have about $5 worth of pvc pipe in the frame. I can fit 18-20 in the main compartment, two putters up top and probably another 10-15 in the top compartment if I wanted to, but I don't. I can fit a hoodie, 5 towels, snacks, extra water bottle and gateway stash bag in the top compartment. All in all a pretty reasonable bag.

** One thing to note, when making your pvc pipe frame, I recommend going a bit short than most on the dimensions(I can get the measurements of everything I cut for anybody that wants to know them). It will make it easier to get it in and out of the bag if you want to actually use it for a tackle box(Which I do).

Has anyone tried painting the bag at all? I am looking to paint the dark green panels. I am trying on a small section now with acrylic paint, but its not looking so good so far. Anyone suggestions would be awesome. Thanks.

I have toyed with the idea of using a bleach pen to bleach the green area and then re-dye it with a different color to see if it will hold.

Latest posts