• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Nebula" Style Dye Tutorial

Me too. Gonna pull it tonight. Again that picture is from when I should of dropped the disc in. I did keep going with a toothpick and it blended a little more than I wanted. Hopefully it still comes out nice though.

The disc is a white discraft meteor
So just so I'm clear, you're using dishwashing gel as the base and mixing laundry detergent for the dye mixture? Are you using idye? And can you give us some clarity of the "brands" for DW gel and Laundry detergent? Thanks!

So just so I'm clear, you're using dishwashing gel as the base and mixing laundry detergent for the dye mixture? Are you using idye? And can you give us some clarity of the "brands" for DW gel and Laundry detergent? Thanks!

The dishwasher gel was from dollar general and I believe its their brand. Its called DG home. The laundry detergent is just a free and clear meijer brand detergent. Depending on where you're at you may or may not have Meijer in your town. Any free and clear detergent should work fine. Free and clear is not necessary I don't think, I just get that cause its clear and it makes a nice dye mixture. The dyes were previously mixed into pint size mason jars approximately 3 tspn dye to 16 ounces of water. I am also using a dye carrier nsc, synthrapol, and white vinegar in my dye mixes. I posted my ratios for those a while ago in the alternative dyes thread if your interested. The dye carrier and synthrapol (wetting agent) come with the pro chemicals sampler pack.

This dye bed was not done with any idye poly but I can't see any reason it wouldnt work as well. Lately I have been using a lot of the prochemical dyes that I got in their sample pack. I also have been using some Pylam disperse dye that seems to work quite well. This was done using a combination of the two types. I will be pulling it out of the bed in a few hours when I'm outta work. I will post my results.

So here it is...Im pretty happy with the way it came out although I think it would of been much better and more detailed if I had stopped where I was at in that previous pic I posted and placed it in the dye bed at that time. I just kept going with the toothpick a bit much and think I got carried away. It had about 22 hours in the dye bed total to achieve these colors. I am fairly confident now to say that I am pretty sure that this is at least the technique and at least some of the dyes being used by Jeff Ash and possibly wondernut. The colors are very vibrant and similar. I am pretty sold on the prochemicals dyes now as well as the pylam disperse dyes Im testing, especially their yellow! Im loving that one. Its great for turning a green into a much more neon green.

Odyssey, that's the biggest contribution to this this guy forum in 2014. I will definitely be trying these new dyes as well as the dish washing gel. Mad props.

Odyssey, that's the biggest contribution to this this guy forum in 2014. I will definitely be trying these new dyes as well as the dish washing gel. Mad props.

Thanks man. I appreciate the awesome compliment. Im just a semi-rookie dyer that has OCD and loves bright colors. ;) (and wont stop at nothing until I find the ones I want!!) I couldn't have done it without all the shared knowledge I found on this site and the other users sharing their knowledge. I just rolled the dice with a bunch of dyes and got extremely lucky.

I am in the process of setting up a website dedicated to artists and disc dyers willing to share their techniques and info in exchange for exposure and community respect. It will be very tutorial based. I am really excited about it, I just need more time to work on it (stupid day jobs! lol). This site has inspired me to do so, because I do feel that we can learn so much more as a community and sharing info together, and then building upon it.

Got one more sitting in a bath right now...Gonna give it 24 hours and will post the results tomorrow. Go easy on the dishwashing gel. I think the technique I am finding is to use "just" enough for the disc at hand, also the size of the plate should fit the disc to a "T" for best results.

Damn that thing looks awesome! Pylam & Prodisperse, huh? I may forego the Spikeit, and get the Prodisperse sampler after seeing that. Really nice work, Odyssey!

Damn that thing looks awesome! Pylam & Prodisperse, huh? I may forego the Spikeit, and get the Prodisperse sampler after seeing that. Really nice work, Odyssey!

They both have amazing dyes. I have a couple of favs on each side so far. I have been doing a lot of mixing the three dyes together as well.

Pylam:
Yellow (is the best bright yellow ive ever seen between all three (idye, prochemicals, and pylam that is). Mixed with the prochemicals Synthrapol and dye carrier NSC)

Prochemicals:
Bright Red - Very nice red
Bright blue - very nice as well

If you talk to Aaron at Pylam, tell him Odyssey Artwork & Disc Dyes sent you his way. He's been super cool with me so far with hooking up the samples. They hooked me up with like 6 ounces of 6 types of disperse dye just to sample.

I am in the process of setting up a website dedicated to artists and disc dyers willing to share their techniques and info in exchange for exposure and community respect. It will be very tutorial based. I am really excited about it, I just need more time to work on it (stupid day jobs! lol). This site has inspired me to do so, because I do feel that we can learn so much more as a community and sharing info together, and then building upon it.

Not trying to burst your bubble, I love the idea, but isn't that what this dye forum is all about?
We've all shared our trials/tribulations/blunders/successes/failures/experiments/etc on these forums, and Dan was great to incorporate all of the most pertinent info into one common thread. I don't see much more to be learned outside of this forum.

Very nice man.. I am going to be slow to get dyes done this month... but next month I will be all over this. Great work... I really like the looks of this.

Not trying to burst your bubble, I love the idea, but isn't that what this dye forum is all about?
We've all shared our trials/tribulations/blunders/successes/failures/experiments/etc on these forums, and Dan was great to incorporate all of the most pertinent info into one common thread. I don't see much more to be learned outside of this forum.

I agree. This site is great. I learned most of what I know from it. I plan to make the site about other art techniques as well though and it may end up being more of a tutorial based site, not so much of a forum. Not just disc dyeing, all forms of art. Kind of an open source art technique sharing site. Its still in the works and I'm still mulling around ideas on it. Any suggestions please pm me. I'm open to ideas.

I agree. This site is great. I learned most of what I know from it. I plan to make the site about other art techniques as well though and it may end up being more of a tutorial based site, not so much of a forum. Not just disc dyeing, all forms of art. Kind of an open source art technique sharing site. Its still in the works and I'm still mulling around ideas on it. Any suggestions please pm me. I'm open to ideas.

Gotcha, sounds great. I love doing tutorials! Haven't done anything for a while in that department(do video course walkthroughs count?).

I used to do a good bit of Photoshop tutorials. I could probably do a few Illustrator tutorials now with years of honing the skills for plotting. If you need anything like below, hit me up, plenty more on my oldddd deviantart account.

__I_am_woman______walkthrough__by_bennettua.jpg
Raised_Grid_Tutorial_by_bennettua.jpg

Gotcha, sounds great. I love doing tutorials! Haven't done anything for a while in that department(do video course walkthroughs count?).

I used to do a good bit of Photoshop tutorials. I could probably do a few Illustrator tutorials now with years of honing the skills for plotting. If you need anything like below, hit me up, plenty more on my oldddd deviantart account.

For sure Bennett. That would be helpful. I could setup a section for graphic design as well on the site. I am still in the very early stages of setting it up and deciding what direction and format to go with it. I got a lot of brainstorming to do yet, but I would love to get some help with it once I get going. I will keep you posted on the progress.

So Here is my last nights gel/dye bath results...I am learning a few main key points to this technique the more I do it.

1. Use JUST enough dishwashing gel to offer the dye a base to sit on.
2. DON'T OVERBLEND! If using a toothpick or utensil to swirl around.
3. Pop as many bubbles as you can see in the dye bath before placing the disc down. I had a couple white spots on this one that missed the dye because of a few bubbles.
4. I think not using too many colors at once might help as well. Ive been kind of overdoing it on my last two runs. I might try to limit myself a bit more on the next one I do.

Still looks pretty cool though I think...Here it is

odyssey

first off thank you so much for your diligent efforts and willingness to share with other dyers. Just to clarify, when you say dishwashing gel, are you referring to the chalky white type that almost feels gritty or is there some type of clear gel?? i tried my first nebula style dye last night and it was in for 8 hours and didnt take any dye. I used baby shampoo that was heavier/more dense than the clear laundry detergent that I used to mix with the dye. the bed pattern looked good, I think i put too muchbaby shampoo in the bed and the dye/detergent mix sunk through it. Ideally do you think the best combination is dishwashing gel bed and laundry detergent as the dye carrier? thanks in advance

first off thank you so much for your diligent efforts and willingness to share with other dyers. Just to clarify, when you say dishwashing gel, are you referring to the chalky white type that almost feels gritty or is there some type of clear gel?? i tried my first nebula style dye last night and it was in for 8 hours and didnt take any dye. I used baby shampoo that was heavier/more dense than the clear laundry detergent that I used to mix with the dye. the bed pattern looked good, I think i put too muchbaby shampoo in the bed and the dye/detergent mix sunk through it. Ideally do you think the best combination is dishwashing gel bed and laundry detergent as the dye carrier? thanks in advance

Yes the clear gel is the one I am using, definitely not the powder. I got mine at dollar general for I think like $3 bucks (its called DG Home brand). Im sure others will work fine too, this is just the one that I had found to try.

Thats weird it didnt take any dye at all. What type of plastic are you dyeing? Seems that it should take at least some of the dye. And yes it is a good idea to keep just enough of a base layer for the dye mix to sit on top of.

Also I have been leaving mine in for 20 + hours lately to achieve optimum color. And yes to the third question. Laundry detergent is what I mix with my premixed liquid dyes. At least a couple of eye droppers (or more) full mixed with just maybe a couple of table spoons worth of liquid detergent. Also when I used the term dye carrier previously, keep in mind that is an actual chemical additive that gets mixed with the prochemical dyes. It comes in their sampler pack. Think it mainly enhances the color properties and allows more of the dye to be absorbed.

Yes the clear gel is the one I am using, definitely not the powder. I got mine at dollar general for I think like $3 bucks (its called DG Home brand). Im sure others will work fine too, this is just the one that I had found to try.

Thats weird it didnt take any dye at all. What type of plastic are you dyeing? Seems that it should take at least some of the dye. And yes it is a good idea to keep just enough of a base layer for the dye mix to sit on top of.

Also I have been leaving mine in for 20 + hours lately to achieve optimum color. And yes to the third question. Laundry detergent is what I mix with my premixed liquid dyes. At least a couple of eye droppers (or more) full mixed with just maybe a couple of table spoons worth of liquid detergent. Also when I used the term dye carrier previously, keep in mind that is an actual chemical additive that gets mixed with the prochemical dyes. It comes in their sampler pack. Think it mainly enhances the color properties and allows more of the dye to be absorbed.

Sorry if i wasnt clear, i knew it wasnt the powder detergent but the only kind I found in the bottle was the white lotion looking one that is kinda gritty. I will look for the one you're referring to. Since I couldnt find any, i used baby shampoo as the base because it was thicker/more dense than the laundry detergent that I mixed my liquid idye poly with. I was also surprised that no dye took, it actually seemed to pool together which i thought was weird. I am dying prodigy 400s plastic which I have sucessfully dyed in the past.

That said, i have a few questions for you. first, do you think that dishwasher gel or karo syrup is best? Also, any alternatives would be appreciated bc what I used for a bed didnt seem to work. Also, when adding the dye/detergent mixture, should it just sit on the top of the bed or will it sink a little? and lastly, on a different subject, the worm dye you talk about, if I wanted to do the outside rim of a disc with a basic masking job do I just paint it straight on? is it liquid? if so how do you keep it on the disc surface? add a thickener? I checked online, i think bass pro carries the spike it brand in the store, but I dont see the quick coat. Does the spike it brand work? last question, do you know if gateway evolution plastic will take dye?