• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Need a new midrange disc

timray109

Since I've started playing, my focus has not been on mids and fairway discs, and I have mainly bought putters and drivers. Now that I'm a decent putter/driver, I wanted to buy into some mids and some fairways to up my game. I'm really gonna try and focus on the mids for now. Any suggestions? I know a lot of people use the rocs, and if you suggest that one, what makes it so good?

There are a lot of good mids made by Innova. Anything specific you're wanting out of your mids? Straight, beefy, flippy?

The Roc gets the most love because they're great in DX plastic (cheap and grippy), season usefully across their entire lifespan, and cover a very wide range of shots (slightly overstable to super flippy understable) when in various stages of tune. They're fairly slow but have some serious distance potential in the right hands. They just need a little height to achieve that distance.

I'm looking for a fairly straight flying disc that might want to flip but can't. So something that turns just a little. It sounds like as you beat in a roc, it tends to do that?

another vote for DX Roc.. and of course i gots to throw in some Comet love.. best mid ever.. can do it all and do it all well

Best bet might be a Coyote or Mako, very straight flyers with good glide, easy to grip and very underrated.

These are the two I would think of with the new Atlas being another option.

If you're willing to consider something other than Innova, your options are vast.

DX Roc, Buzzz, MD2, Comet and Atlas from what I've thrown, are safe choices.
Feel you, just went to mids 2 months back. I chose Roc and Comet. Rocomet!(I'm tired.)

you care if the disc is beaded or not? if you have a decent retailer around i would suggest going by and feeling some up if possible.. plenty of great options out there and could just come down to whats more comfortable

i think every brand of any size has a disc like you describe. so get your hands on as many as you can and find one that is comfortable in your grip.

for new players i'd suggest mako, comet or fuse. it's way more about how it feels in your hand than anything. go to a store and just feel them up and when you find some you like buy them and see how they work out for you.

Mids are so personal. I had a buzz when i first started playing and then some one gave me a roc and i loved it. I carry 5 rocs in my bag all KC all in different stages of wear. I would recommend a roc in KC pro. If that doesnt feel good in your hand i would say try a 400G M4 or a 300S M3 or a TP Warship or an Opto Core. What ever feels good in your hand they all fly similar to me its what plastic i like the best.

star mako is nice, straight and comfortable. Or a others have said, you can beat in a DX roc

I'm looking for a fairly straight flying disc that might want to flip but can't. So something that turns just a little. It sounds like as you beat in a roc, it tends to do that?

Best bet might be a Coyote or Mako, very straight flyers with good glide, easy to grip and very underrated.

a coyote and mako will turn and not come back unless you throw them correctly. Also, you already have a stingray so it would just be overlap.

If I were you, I would go to a local DG store or tournament and fondle the mid ranges. See which one gets your noodle going so to say. Or test out the different ones that your friends have. I personally would stay away from the Roc, there are alot fo discs out there that will fly like a good seasoned roc right off the production line so theres no need to beat it in anymore. And then lets not forget the 6+ different molds all marked Roc.
But if you are just looking for suggestions:
Gateway Element - flips up flat easily pulls a little right (RHBH) but fades out into a very straight flight
Westside Warship - The VIP plastic rides real straight with good glide. it does tail off to the left a bit at the end. TP plastic flips a lil easier and doesnt fade back as much.
Discraft Buzzz - Z will have a strong fade at the end but is a real straight flier. ESP is just nuts straight.
Prodigy M3 - A slightly more stable buzzz with a tad bit more finishing fade.

Doesn't the Tangent have a fair amount of turn?

mine brand new had almost no turn. 2 rounds later it had no fade and lots of turn. and i was hardly using it.

Latest posts