• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Bag Company - Grip Equipment

Amazing. We(FR people) don't find out until we get the bags that the material was different from the protos and now Grip is going back to the original cordura. Real cute.

cfair said:
I don't know why ya'll put up with Grip... I am so glad I missed that train.

it is an awesome bag

but this does kind of drive me crazy

Yes, the vast majority--who had minor issues--will get second run (to be done by May 31) bags. There are a few exceptions where people had more exaggerated issues who am I trying to line up reinspected first run for so that we can get those bags replaced asap.

I am pretty sure I am in the exaggerated issues crowd(missing snaps, small & broken quiver, and ripped seams on day 1). I would rather get a 2nd run than get a "reinspected" bag.

heh,changing back to original materials and moving production to the states. Im glad i sold mine before it ripped and ordered a mahal! Just sayin...

Booter said:
heh,changing back to original materials and moving production to the states. Im glad i sold mine before it ripped and ordered a mahal! Just sayin...

Read my mind, just wish I would have done the same.

Yes, the vast majority--who had minor issues--will get second run (to be done by May 31) bags. There are a few exceptions where people had more exaggerated issues who am I trying to line up reinspected first run for so that we can get those bags replaced asap.

This just seems bass ackwards to me, especially since he said that they were totally scrapping the first run. I preordered and had issues with stitching before I even got a round in. Justin promised me a new bag and told me that I could keep the original. Who wants to purchase my reinspected first run bag when I get it? I'm guessing nobody...FML.

I'm glad to hear about the improvements in the pattern and materials, the color options sound cool too.

My quiver snap broke and I haven't gotten around to fixing it, quiver opening was very very snug, but I stretched it every day with a few drivers, still snug but with two hands I can pull a putter out when I have two in there. The pocket over the main flap that covers the disc compartment showed signs of failing at the top seam like several others have wrote about so I just quit using that pocket. I am now wondering if I should have been pestering Justin to get a better bag when the production runs are actually fixed. Not sure why I am making exceptions and dealing with minor inconveniences for a bag of this qualify and cost. I guess I felt like every bag that was replaced hurt the chances of Grip succeeding and I didn't want to be a part of a company that I think will do great things for the sport going down.

I think Justin and Grip will be fine. He is going to have to eat a huge loss in the beginning though.

Booter said:

I see a lot of people say things like this about grip. What I don't get is that everyone seems to want the quality of the Mahal bag - which has been produced by a well established outdoor gear company - from a startup company in gripEQ.

Personally, I think gripEQ is doing a fine job refining and fine tuning a well designed bag. The problem is that gripEQ only has ONE product, and the entire focus of the disc golfing community is on the single produce. I'm positive that other bag companies have lots of issues with their multitudes of other products.

gripEQ doesn't get a fair shake in our disc golf market. In 2 years, I have a feeling everyone will be clamoring about the high quality of the gripEQ bags, and how far the small start up company has come since the beginning.

and no, I don't own one. I just call it like I see it.

jnecessary said:
I'm glad to hear about the improvements in the pattern and materials, the color options sound cool too.

My quiver snap broke and I haven't gotten around to fixing it, quiver opening was very very snug, but I stretched it every day with a few drivers, still snug but with two hands I can pull a putter out when I have two in there. The pocket over the main flap that covers the disc compartment showed signs of failing at the top seam like several others have wrote about so I just quit using that pocket. I am now wondering if I should have been pestering Justin to get a better bag when the production runs are actually fixed. Not sure why I am making exceptions and dealing with minor inconveniences for a bag of this qualify and cost. I guess I felt like every bag that was replaced hurt the chances of Grip succeeding and I didn't want to be a part of a company that I think will do great things for the sport going down.

J, this is exactly how I've felt. I haven't said a word until I heard about this second run because quite frankly the bag works, sort of... and I want Justin to succeed. Now that he's scrapped the first design and is pretty much reinventing the bag I'm jaded enough to get vocal. I honestly wish I'd sold mine off months ago and just put the money towards the Mahal I ordered because I have no doubt I'll only get half for it what I could of before the news of this second run. I can only blame myself for pre-ordering a newly conceived product, that's a taboo that I should have known better than to tangle with. And please don't misunderstand, I'm not standing on a soapbox demanding a free second run bag from Justin either, I'm just venting frustrations. If this was a larger company like say... Apple, I would definitely be standing on a soap box demanding reparations. But this is my sport, my passion, I have a vested interest in Justin's success. I guess if this is the part I had to play to get to an end product that actually meets my wants/desires/expectations... then so be it. It just sucks paying to be the guinea pig.

All in all, I'll probably buy a second run, or wait for the third...

I don't get what you guys with a first run bag are all bitchy about. Jesus. I bought a car once and the very next year a new model came out with some cool new features! Can you imagine how I felt about that!?

You guys bought a bag based on a description and some video of a prototype. Grip told you it came with a lifetime warranty and thus far has proven that he stands behind it. What's the problem?

what'shisname said:
I don't get what you guys with a first run bag are all bitchy about. Jesus. I bought a car once and the very next year a new model came out with some cool new features! Can you imagine how I felt about that!?

You guys bought a bag based on a description and some video of a prototype. Grip told you it came with a lifetime warranty and thus far has proven that he stands behind it. What's the problem?

Well my "new car" was missing pieces when it arrived. I don't think anyone with a grip bag is unhappy. We have all clearly stated we understood this was a new company with a new business model(for disc golf bags). I will own a grip bag for a long time if he can continue to improve on the main concepts. The only problem is I have been happily totting around an incomplete bag for almost 4 months now. Hope that clarifies it for you.

I think the complaints about this bag are in the minority...it's just that the people with problems speak louder when it comes to these forums, and we're not hearing from all the happy customers.

I was at a tournament this past weekend, hoping to meet someone with one of these so that I could get a first hand look at one....and there must have been 10-15 people with them there (including one in each of my foursomes that day). Without exception everyone that I asked about it raved about how much they loved the bag.

I'm sold, and on the list for the next run.

zj1002 said:
what'shisname said:

Well my "new car" was missing pieces when it arrived. I don't think anyone with a grip bag is unhappy. We have all clearly stated we understood this was a new company with a new business model(for disc golf bags). I will own a grip bag for a long time if he can continue to improve on the main concepts. The only problem is I have been happily totting around an incomplete bag for almost 4 months now. Hope that clarifies it for you.

Oh, I totally get that and it's been addressed. He's going to get you a new bag, awesome.

My comment was more directed at those saying that their first run is going to be worth less now because of the new run coming out is going to be superior. It's almost like some expected the bags to increase in value or something. It's above and beyond to give someone a totally new bag AND let them keep the first one because of a defect.

what'shisname said:
zj1002 said:
what'shisname said:

Oh, I totally get that and it's been addressed. He's going to get you a new bag, awesome.

My comment was more directed at those saying that their first run is going to be worth less now because of the new run coming out is going to be superior. It's almost like some expected the bags to increase in value or something. It's above and beyond to give someone a totally new bag AND let them keep the first one because of a defect.

Aside from the increase in value statement, which is ludicrous because that's not what we're talking about: If I put a 1st run bag and a redesigned (with the new cordura fabric and fixes/tweaks in place) bag in front of you, which one would you choose? So which one do you think is more valuable?

These bags aren't cars in the same sense that this next run is the 2012 model and we all bought the 2011. We're talking about a car with known issues that's being scrapped, redesigned then redistributed. Is this really that hard of a concept for people?

Jeronimo said:
If I put a 1st run bag and a redesigned (with the new cordura fabric and fixes/tweaks in place) bag in front of you, which one would you choose? So which one do you think is more valuable?

These bags aren't cars in the same sense that this next run is the 2012 model and we all bought the 2011. We're talking about a car with known issues that's being scrapped, redesigned then redistributed. Is this really that hard of a concept for people?

I really don't get what you're saying. He's addressing issues with the product, that's a good thing, ya? You've got the first run bag, if it has issues, J@ is going to give you a 2nd run bag when they're out. What's the down side here? Who cares that your first run bag's only going to be worth half of what it was before news of the 2nd run? How is that even relevant?

J@ via gripeq.com said:

And more...

From the DD camp last night:

As you probably already know there are more complications with dealing with Grip Equipment. I will leave it at that. We are trying to figure out the situation in full and will be getting with everyone in detail shortly.

As always, trust that you will be taken care of one way or another.