• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Salient Ember shows the Catalyst its tailights

just take a peek at the UB thread I bumped. horrible company. the hucker magazine BS should have been enough to make them go OOP :|

Last edited:
...yeesh.

I think all of these issues point to one thing: owning a business is not as easy as people think it is. You can't just put up a website and take people's money and have that be enough.

Sitting in a lobby waiting for a job interview right now, so can't give elaborate details, but I got a chance to finally use my bag yesterday. I played 47 holes, and the bag performed fantastically. Very comfortable, and sturdy. It was a warm day here, but I carried a fleece vest with me just to see how it'd work. It was a tight fit in the side pocket, but it did fit in there nonetheless. The putter pocket was nice, very easy access. I also like the small valuables pocket on top, it's a very convenient spot to keep my phone which I use for score keeping.

The immediate shortcoming of the bag for me is the lack of divider. I carry less discs than it can hold, so would like to keep them separated and upright. I'm working on fabbing up a diy solution. I would also have preferred a little more storage - - if you stick your hand in the valuables pocket, you can feel around and see how much empty space is there. It would be nice to take advantage of that space, but doing so could probably present problems for making it top heavy, and encroaching on the bottom compartment.

All in all, though, I'm very satisfied with the purchase. I was hesitant to pre-order, just because it's always a gamble, but this one paid off. If we're doing car comparisons, I would say this is more like a Honda. It may not have all the bells and whistles of the "status" brands, but it functions well for what it's made for. Factor in that it is literally less than half the price of some of the competition, I think it's the best balance of quality and price out there.

...yeesh.

I think all of these issues point to one thing: owning a business is not as easy as people think it is. You can't just put up a website and take people's money and have that be enough.

For sure.. I'm still pissed about the work I put into Hucker Magazine with no compensation. There is a UB sponsored player here in the area and he hasn't had any communication with them in months. I don't know what their deal is.

Salient, on the other hand, has really impressed me with their turnaround. I went from a full blown Salient hater to paying my 23 bucks to be on their Salient Squad in about a year's time. Hiring Scott for their PR was a huge step. The old Physical Flight bags were amazing and They've always had excellent plastic blends. It just took them awhile to get all the pieces to fit together. I think the current three bags as well as some quality molds and last years sponsorship of fan favorite John E McCray really helped them turn a corner and surge into a very crowded market.

I'm not a Salient apologist though. They still have their problems (their website is dreadful, for one) but they can get there. I will be ordering an Ember soon and can't wait to try it out. Hopefully this bag meets enough people's needs to bring them closer to the Physical Flight glory days, such as they were.

I have to say, this bag looks really nice. I was thinking about a Catalyst back when, but then all that stuff happened, and I ended up getting a Ranger (which is nice)

I would like to see a more natural/neutral color option like green/brown, instead of all these lime green, bright red, all black, or... camo :x But. It doesn't really matter what I think right now, I'm actually thinking of selling off my Ranger.

Ol' Crunchy is enough for me right now, and for the foreseeable future. I need to work on my game instead of buying shiny new things, and the 13 discs I can tote around in my Crunch Box is enough.

But. If I sell off my Ranger, and I ever get to the point where I feel I need more of the discs I carry, or, crossing fingers, get to the point where I can actually throw distance drivers, this is a strong contender for bag to get. Probably between the Ember and the Voodoo Mojo. Them duffel bag styles are pretty good on storage.

Well, after many sleepless nights, and much hand-wringing and days spent in self-imposed solitary confinement, the Ember was the medium-sized backpack bag I finally decided on. Ordered it this morning and I already got an email that it's been shipped. Can't wait to check it out!

I think you'll be happy with it. One of things I really like about the ember is the "valuables" pocket at the top. Some might complain that it could be bigger but I like it as is. It's almost like a hammock, the pocket hangs down in the putter area but doesn't really touch anything. So, my glasses and phone aren't being crushed, they just kind of float there.

The two small pockets at the bottom/side area seemed silly at first because I can't fit my hand in them. Then it occurred to me to keep my granola bars or whatever in there. They work good for that since I don't have to reach down in the pocket.

I have an Ember arriving tomorrow. I'm currently using a Gateway backpack so this should be somewhat of a more sophisticated design. In my four or so years in DG I've been somewhat of a bag fiend, owning way too many bags for the frequency that I play. So far I've had a Gateway Ozark, Grip, GB Simian & now to my Gateway backpack. There have been pro's & con's of all of these bags and I am hoping that the Ember is the winner to my quest for the perfect bag. I honestly love the construction of the Grip and if I were to go back to any of these bags, I would choose the Grip. That said, at times I found it to be just too much bag for my pretty casual game.

On paper, it appears that the Ember is relatively similar to the Grip in terms of features but holds a few less discs than the large grip but more than the small grip (the names escape me). Hopefully the overall build quality is nice and tough bc I have high hopes for this bag!

On paper, it appears that the Ember is relatively similar to the Grip in terms of features but holds a few less discs than the large grip but more than the small grip (the names escape me). Hopefully the overall build quality is nice and tough bc I have high hopes for this bag!

I would say it is most directly comparable to the Grip, however I don't know how much smaller it'll be. I think I fit like 23 discs in there when I loaded it up. I don't have a Grip to compare it to directly, but I'm thinking its a similar size. That's way more discs than I usually carry, so like I mentioned earlier, I'll be working on a divider.

Only time will tell, but the build quality seems good, and the materials nice and tough (pretty sure it's Cordura?) I can't say if it'll be your perfect bag, but I don't think you'll regret your purchase.

I would say it is most directly comparable to the Grip, however I don't know how much smaller it'll be. I think I fit like 23 discs in there when I loaded it up. I don't have a Grip to compare it to directly, but I'm thinking its a similar size. That's way more discs than I usually carry, so like I mentioned earlier, I'll be working on a divider.

Only time will tell, but the build quality seems good, and the materials nice and tough (pretty sure it's Cordura?) I can't say if it'll be your perfect bag, but I don't think you'll regret your purchase.

It is 1000d cordura yep. How does the interior liner feel? I know the Helix is 1000D throughout but I was curious if the Ember is as well.

I've got a camo Ember on order, I really wanted the Lime Spark look wise, but decided the extra room and better materials were worth not having my preferred color.

I have a Nutsac now and use an Addidas soccer bag I've converted to disc golf duties and am looking forward to a real golf bag.

Really hoping I get my tax return before the Camo Embers sell out. They are going pretty quick.

Damn gub'ment. Wait, I work for Uncle Sam...

Really hoping I get my tax return before the Camo Embers sell out. They are going pretty quick.

Damn gub'ment. Wait, I work for Uncle Sam...

I got the black one because I like to be different! :D

Finally got my camo Ember last night.

Really thrilled, ran it through to games back to back.

Really sturdy, and rides a lot higher than where my fade bag did with the straps, which I'm happy about. Can't quite get the right placement on the straps yet, but that may wear in.

All of the discs I want to carry fit fine, and I can actually fit extra stuff like snacks and kleenex and other such in the sides. I can even strap my stool to the side by running it through the loop on the side and one left through the outside pocket.

Going to get to see how it handles in rough weather with the rain jacket tomorrow. I have noticed that I have to have the back facing uphill or it tips (this is probably obvious, but I just didn't realize) and the pencils stay in the bottom spots much better than the tops.

Really thrilled so far though. Very happy.

Latest posts