• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Salient Ember shows the Catalyst its tailights

Well, I could fit more, but I've got a box of clif bars in one side because it's the easiest way to hold them. Um...14? And then two drivers and two putters up top?

How many discs are you getting in the main compartment?

Ok, i just got this bag yesterday and played 2 rounds with it today. To answer your question first, I don't carry this many, but i could get 17 discs comfortably in the main compartment, that would be 12 drivers and 5 mids. You could get 4 more in the putter slots.

As for my first day impressions, the bag seems to be really well made, with sturdy materials. The big side pockets are a bit disappointing, as i think separate pockets would be more user friendly than the one big top-to-bottom pockets that are on both sides. The little pockets that are there are too small to get more than 3 fingers in to, but i put a small bottle of hand sanitizer in there, so it's somewhat useful. There are some small pockets inside the big pockets.

The upper pencil slots are ridiculous, they are too shallow, which wouldn't be a problem if they weren't also too loose. A couple of times i bent over to pick up my disc with the bag on and my pencils fell out over my head, along with my mini. The lower pencil slots are better but won't accommodate the typically short pencils.

My biggest gripe will be the comfort of the bag. After playing one round, I was really starting to notice how the stiff bottom part of the bag was digging in to my lower back. I tried to make adjustments to the straps, but when I cinched them up, the straps became too tight, made the bag harder to put on, and the bottom was just digging in higher up on my back. I have rolled up a washrag and stuffed it in to a slot along the inside of the bag between the stiff bottom shelf of the main disc compartment and the back of the bag, and i'll try it again tomorrow for a few rounds to see if that helps, fingers crossed. Otherwise, i can't see myself carrying this bag for long.

So they make shoes only for a select size of people, and now apparently their bags are only comfortable for people of certain sizes.

:\

that would eliminate a HIGH number of potential sales... I am 6'0" which is a pretty average height, at least around here.

that would eliminate a HIGH number of potential sales... I am 6'0" which is a pretty average height, at least around here.

Sure would, but possibly it's a manufacturing inconsistency. I don't remember anyone mentioning this particular problem with this bag when I was researching the threads on here and trying to choose a bag. I was pretty disappointed after the first day. And, I have seen the customer service complaints, so if i do end up returning the bag, i'm not looking forward to dealing with the hassle that will go along with that.

My biggest gripe will be the comfort of the bag. After playing one round, I was really starting to notice how the stiff bottom part of the bag was digging in to my lower back.

I had the same problem with my innova disc carrier and Grip bag. I flipped the hard bottom piece, on the innova bag, up so that it would not dig in. On the Grip bag I had to put some soft weather stripping along the back edge. Hopefully you can find something to make it more comfortable.

Sure would, but possibly it's a manufacturing inconsistency. I don't remember anyone mentioning this particular problem with this bag when I was researching the threads on here and trying to choose a bag. I was pretty disappointed after the first day. And, I have seen the customer service complaints, so if i do end up returning the bag, i'm not looking forward to dealing with the hassle that will go along with that.

It was an issue with my helix from testing but it was said that padding and other stuff would be addressed to fix those problems. I cant really wear the helix b/c of it either so I hear you. Didn't think it would be an issue with these production models. Its the bottom support hitting you in the back which should have been contoured at a angle with more padding (specially for the helix being a monster in size) Putting a small dish towel under/around it works OK.

I'm not saying that at all, just curious because I'm 6'3ish and I like to notate these things. Thanks for your answer.
Do you have this bag, or are you just considering it? If you have it, how does yours fit? Maybe i'm too short instead of too tall? :p

I had the same problem with my innova disc carrier and Grip bag. I flipped the hard bottom piece, on the innova bag, up so that it would not dig in. On the Grip bag I had to put some soft weather stripping along the back edge. Hopefully you can find something to make it more comfortable.

Funny you say that, because I had my choices narrowed down between this bag and the Grip C-14. Now if I end up returning this bag, the C-14 may no longer be my back-up plan. Could be back to the drawing board. :wall:

Do you have this bag, or are you just considering it? If you have it, how does yours fit? Maybe i'm too short instead of tall?

I'll find out soon I believe, just like hearing other people's experiences so I can pay attention.

Jeezus. You guys realize there are adjustable straps on these bags, right?

I'm 5' 9" and have never had an issue with my A-Series, C-14 or hell, my Cabela's DIY.

I used the straps to raise or lower the bag as necessary to accommodate my height.

Took my Ember out to the course and was very happy with it. The comfort of the bag is definitely a step up from the Catalyst.
I'm 5'11" and really liked the fact that the bag road high and that the bottom of the bag rested in the small of my back. There is a decent amount of padding in the lumbar area and I didn't have any issues of lower back discomfort.

Was carrying 20 discs overall with 3 in the putter slots and room in the main pocket for at least 2 more. Took a suggestion from an earlier post and used the small pockets on the side for energy bars.

Ordered the ACU colorway Ember today. My plan is to use it for every day rounds and events on courses that I am familar with. If its a big event or a course I'm not familiar with, I'll stick with the Mahal. I'm 5 foot ten and 230 pounds so I will let you all know how it works for me (most backpacks do not fit a man of my size at all)

I took part in a tournament yesterday, and I loved having this bag with me.

I wanted something could carry two hydro flasks and all of my extras (snacks, kleenex, etc.) and it did all of that fine. Additionally, even though picking it up one handed lets you feel the weight of it, once it was on my back it was no problem at all. I will second the poster above, it rides high for me at 5' 11", and it's very comfortable. I'm just having to get used to the straps, slightly.

Totally off track here, but aside from athe aforementioned Clif Bars, what snacks do you guys carry and why? I've never been in the middle of a tournament (or casual) round and thought I needed some food. I don't even see where you'd have time for it.

I digress. I'm hoping mine gets here in time for my tournament this weekend, but with the holiday and all the crazy weather going on right now I'm not optomisitic.

Latest posts