• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Salient Ember shows the Catalyst its tailights

My order was for a camo, I didn't want the flat black.

Yeah, in my initial impressions, one of the only knocks against the bag is the lack of color choice. Black wouldn't be my first choice, but I'm not a fan of camo myself, so it was the default selection for me. Having a couple more options would be nice, but obviously not a deal breaker.

I just ordered shoes through the Salient site, and the shoes and bags are shipped through DN. Shipping on the shoes was free (and fast, I might add!)

I'm looking at an Ember because it's a great price and I get a discount...but it's hard to imagine it would be anywhere close to my Mahal. Kind of like going from a BMW to a Volvo. I'm definitely holding out for the ACU one though. Think I'll sew my nametapes, unit patches and American flag on there so I can match my duty uniform.

I just ordered shoes through the Salient site, and the shoes and bags are shipped through DN. Shipping on the shoes was free (and fast, I might add!)

I'm looking at an Ember because it's a great price and I get a discount...but it's hard to imagine it would be anywhere close to my Mahal. Kind of like going from a BMW to a Yugo. I'm definitely holding out for the ACU one though. Think I'll sew my nametapes, unit patches and American flag on there so I can match my duty uniform.

FTFY

Ember pics.

16283416277_483ac2498b_o.jpg

The new Ember on the left with the previous version on the right.

16281612498_8a1a404045_o.jpg

16283416097_4b0b2efa43_o.jpg

The redesigned side pocket. This was a major selling point for me.

16467569321_ffb757581d_o.jpg

Rain coat secured with 5 snaps.

I have not had a chance to take this to the course yet, but have some initial comments.
First off, it feels extremely sturdy and well put together and is adjustable to fit comfortably on the back. Real nice felt lined upper pocket. The redesigned large side pockets are a big improvement and are broken up to be able to hold smaller items.
What I'm not quite sure about yet are the redesigned lower side pockets. Although the pocket is a good 6" deep, the zipper opening is too small for my hand to fit into meaning I won't be able to reach smaller items in there. It will work fine for the rule book, but not sure what else. So now I'm stuck with 2 pockets of limited use that have replaced the 2 side pockets on the original bag that held 2 discs each. The main disc pocket may be bigger to accommodate those discs, but I know I'm going to miss those 2 side pockets.

All in all, I'm excited to get this bag filled up and hit the course to see how it does in the field.

Good pictures (better than the ones on the Salient site, that's for sure!)

I'm eager to here more of your feedback and how it holds up, specifically that upper putter pocket. Looks like it could fit three with no issues. Wondering if it will sag too much?

AndyJB, I just played my first tournament with it yesterday. The upper pocket does hold three discs and the material is a stiff insert. It seems like it has a good chance to hold up well.

My other initial impressions:
1. Very accessible for play. Nice to have the mini pocket at the top along with putters. My one comment is that you can't quickly grab your putters with the bag on your back. Since I am rarely close to the basket, this didn't make much of a difference.

2. I played on a moderately hilly course and never had concerns about the bag tipping. The interior framework/rail system did a great job. The rails also served their purpose in terms of keeping the bag raised enough so that, although it got a little muddy, no water soaked into the bag.

3. Water bottle holders are a great size. Easily fits bottles (and new gatorade bottles) in and out while still being snug enough to keep them secure.

4. There are enough side/top/small pockets to hold all my needed valuables/dirt bag/some towels. However, there is no pocket large enough to hold a jacket/sweatshirt. I solve this problem by rolling my jacket up and putting it in the back of the main disc compartment. This also pushes the disc forwards for easier access.

5. The side straps/stool pockets work well with a camp time stool. I haven't tried with an umbrella or disc gator but think they might work as well.

6. The straps were very comfortable. An 18 hole round didn't not leave me with any discomfort or fatigue. I have a large frame (6'3" with broad shoulders) so I'm not sure how it would work with a smaller one. It does feel pretty boxy compared to some of the other bags.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my purchase. No one will mistake this for a GRIP/Taj Mahal but thats not the purpose of this bag. It will be very utilitarian and provide an option for a backpack for those that can let their preconceptions from the Catalyst go.

Can someone please take pictures of them wearing this bag? If anyone has another bag for size comparison that would be great too!

Overall, I'm very pleased with my purchase. No one will mistake this for a GRIP/Taj Mahal but thats not the purpose of this bag. It will be very utilitarian and provide an option for a backpack for those that can let their preconceptions from the Catalyst go.
I agree with you on this, for sure.
I received my Ember on Friday, and played a tournament on Saturday(27 holes). Here's my initial thoughts...

The straps have less padding than I expected but are really comfortable anyway. I'm 5'9", medium build. I had my bag loaded with snacks, two 32oz water battles, a small stool, and 18 discs(could fit more) plus 3 in the putter slot. My shoulders and back weren't sore at all, at least not from carrying the bag...

The putter pocket is great; I had three putters in there without crushing them. It has a horizontal divider which I liked.

The carrying handle on the top is fantastic. It makes it easy to pick up and go without any hassles.

Overall, the build quality seems good. I'm really happy with my purchase and I think it would be near impossible to find a better backpack at this price range. I'm glad I went with the Ember instead of a Grip.

I don't think anyone else at the tournament had heard of Salient though, as I had several people stop by to check it. It was an odd experience to have people ask, "Hey man, can I carry your bag for a minute?" or "Dude, I gotta get a picture of that thing". I didn't think to take a picture of anyone carrying it though...

Though my opinion isn't a secret, I do wonder how long it will take for the Catalyst thing to go away. I think it could go away more quickly if the company would learn from its mistakes, but hey, to each their own.

This does look like a much nicer offering and they did get into the market before the IKO from UB Disc, which I think would have been the main competition.

^ I don't think the Iko is happening. At least Salient doesn't steal from their customers.

We emailed on Saturday about the black bags, and Hilary responded that the camo bags are in as well now. So we decided to stick with the original order, and she said that packing slips would be sent out this week. Very excited.

Latest posts