• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New video uploaded

Bradley, that stance you take to close the shoulder is something I've been doing for a couple weeks after I spoke with a friend (Roc Lover) about not feeling any hip power because of the direction of my plant step (which was basically straight towards my target). As soon as he turned me on to this stance, I started feeling far more snap. I can throw my Valkyries easily to 400' now, whereas before I was hitting maybe 360-380. I also use this stance for all of my standstill throws, and it has helped my accuracy immensely.

I've been trying to convey this to some other people in the area, and I'll definitely recommend your video to them. This is great. Thanks!

Nice shirt! Good video as well. I agree with you in the seeing of throws that are really broken into parts instead of a fluid motion. I like the disc that flew over the fence too.

whyd they delete the up in smoke thread, brad?

i heard that shit was a barrel of laughs.

Great video Brad. I actually have been having this same revelation in my own throw. I was finding the less I opened my shoulders the better I was able to snap the disc and get it to rotate around my index and thumb. What I was actually doing was throwing with my back against a fence, preventing my shoulders from opening past 90 degrees. I think what is interesting about your pointing about not spinning on the plant foot is that, in my opinion, the plant foot actually serves to stop your rotation. I have been messing with slowing the shoulders down so the arm will swing out naturally and the only way to do so (slow/pause the shoulders) seems to be a plant step that is firm and not spinning. Only in the follow through does it seem that the plant foot should be pivoting to point toward the target.

I feel that this video of Avery really demonstrates this point. Notice how his right foot (toe specifically) is pointing 90 degrees left of the target until basically the follow through. The shoulders have to pause in order for the lower arm to swing out with the momentum provided by the hips, torso and shoulders.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for the great video Brad and I am glad to hear I am on the right track.

Thanks for the video Bradley. I've delayed the foot pivot and shoulder turn lately automatically, when i concentrated on pushing the elbow farther toward the target prior to the elbow chop. With less, but some, emphasis on keeping the thumb pointed away from the target as long as possible.

I had noticed from a high speed video that my form had deteriorated in that i wasn't getting the elbow out far enough. I was doing a bent elbow form and with an early shoulder rotation and foot pivot spinning to follow through early on. When i managed to delay the shoulder rotation and foot pivot long enough to get the elbow forward all those practice points combined gave me more D.

I tried active wrist snap too, but i am really lacking in stopping the wrist after the active wrist snap. I may be too late in trying to apply the brakes in the wrist once it goes actively plus passively past neutral left-right wise. Active wrist snap didn't give so much extra D that i could say for sure if it gave me added D. The differences between throws were so small, the winds varied and i had too few repetitions to determine anything.

I think it is time to revisit right then left pec drills concentrating on elbow moving forward and delaying the shoulders and leg pivot accordingly. Once this darn cold lets me. The weather is going awry fast.

Whiz said:
G I was finding the less I opened my shoulders the better I was able to snap the disc and get it to rotate around my index and thumb.

Your shoulders will open, just much much later than sooner... It allows the arm and wrist geometry to develop...

Latest posts