• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No more Jump Putting?

Now there will be time to perfect a new backhand throwing technique. After release you quickly transition into a spinning figure skater to avoid going past your lie. It's just a question of who will have the first instructional video of this new throwing style: sidewinder or Lamar Maughan. :popcorn:

Yes, you can run up to your disc on fairway shots. When you make that final plant of your foot and release the disc the plant foot must be withing 30 cm (11.81") of the back of your disc/marker disc at time of release. Note, your entire foot does not need to be inside the 30 cm area just part of your foot.

Side note, it must also be on the center line from the center of the basket running through the center of your disc. Hope that helps.

Clarifies it perfectly! Thanks!!

Not some...ALL need Board approval. Nothing in those documents has been officially proposed for the rule book. It's all in-committee discussions and actions. From what I can tell, the voting tallies aren't whether the committee wants to propose the changes. The votes are regarding furthering the discussion of or killing each proposal. Still a lonnngggg way to go before these things get to the official rule book.

This isn't the first time that the RC has "leaked" their talking points and proposals for the next edition of the rule book. And I suspect that like the last time they did so, not everything they discuss will ultimately be proposed to the Board for approval or approved by the Board once it gets to them.

Much ado about nothing, in other words.

Some good points here. Pretty clear this was meant for internal use only and it somehow got out there. Good on PDGA for getting out in front and making sure people know there aren't any changes going into effect for 2017.

Now there will be time to perfect a new backhand throwing technique. After release you quickly transition into a spinning figure skater to avoid going past your lie. It's just a question of who will have the first instructional video of this new throwing style: sidewinder or Lamar Maughan. :popcorn:

Skip to about 1:20. :D

Skip to about 1:20. :D

I remember watching that video a couple years ago, never tried his technique though and have never seen anyone throw like that. But yes that 360 spin move could be the future for non tee shots. Imagine the top pros throwing like that though, yikes.

I remember watching that video a couple years ago, never tried his technique though and have never seen anyone throw like that. But yes that 360 spin move could be the future for non tee shots. Imagine the top pros throwing like that though, yikes.

Nah, all the momentum transfers to the disc/hammer. Downhill lies would be a bit problematic though.

McBeth would be the only foot fault here:

I was thinking Brian Boitano. :|

How about expressly saying that within a certain range 30-50 meters you can not have the throwers feet may not come off of the ground.
I bet there is a better wording of what I want to say but I will leave that up to you.

I guess the other way of looking at it, might be rather than try and keep stretching hole lengths, especially where so many courses have limited real estate, is to impose this kind of limits.
Rather than changing the courses and par numbers and worry if 36 down is appropriate make it a bit more challenging to reach those same distances from fairways and long putts?

From a difficulty reaching distance and adding throws to the game on longer holes I don't have any issue with the ideas or even stand and deliver for that matter.

But,
what you bring up about how to enforce and certain shot shaping like hard anny flex shots or something with questionable footing it could get dicey.

This logic is bad. Regressive.

Anyone for the record can apply to be on the rules committee. It's a thankless volunteer role that requires a hell of a lot of lateral thought and, crucially to this debate, the willingness to consider and discuss any possibility however crazy it might seem. It takes a heck of a lot of logic and rational thinking to see all of the ramifications of every proposed change.

What you all saw was a working document which will have more advice and information presented with it when given to the board for ratification. I'd imagine the contentious and major changes of some of the ideas is why the PDGA/rules committee have not pushed forward for a revision in 2017 and are taking time to work this out for '18. They are not a shadowy cabal of people out to ruin your entertainment, they are trying to find ways to simplify the game and find solutions to as many real world issues as possible - they do a pretty damn good job of it (let's compare to another "governing" body that tried to do similar...)

some of the ideas I don't personally agree with but at this stage that's all they are, ideas, possible solutions to counter the endless debate over jump putts and walking putts + others. I believe the votes are not necessarily votes "for" the motion but for further discussions and to take the ideas further

Please don't insult the members of the committee for doing their jobs in considering all options (if they and the board put a couple of the proposals through though, fire away ;) )

And also (this is less relevant to this thread and more the Reddit one) a lot of people really need to understand the rules as currently written before criticising changes!!

Like I said, I don't think it's a big deal. Lots of whining and hand-wringing about injuries and hole length and blah blah blah, though.

Watch any dg video of tournament play and say it is not a big deal. Foot faults would need to be called like crazy.

Nah, all the momentum transfers to the disc/hammer. Downhill lies would be a bit problematic though.

McBeth would be the only foot fault here:

McBeth wouldn't be foot faulting because these are all tee shots...

Summary:

Make all throws putts, essentially. For any throw other than from a tee, players would not be allowed to go beyond
their lie after release.

Virtually everyone, at times, follows through past their lie on non-tee shots. And as courses get longer and longer, more players will want to use 360's from the fairway.

Even FH run up bombs in the fairway would be next to impossible for a lot of players.

This rule change proposal is one that really needs to die on the vine.

Weird....what happened to the last few posts?

A couple of mine were misfires I wanted deleted, looks like a little more cleanup was done.

To answer an earlier question, it looks like the docs are now unrecoverable. I have a copy of one of them and could have saved copies of all of them, but decided it wasn't worth the effort since they were just working documents. And it sounds like the pdga didn't really want them out for public consumption anyway, can't blame them.

I'll ask hoping my post doesn't end up getting deleted again.... Anyone have a working link? The links given are broken.

I'll ask hoping my post doesn't end up getting deleted again.... Anyone have a working link? The links given are broken.

Everything was taken down. There's nothing to link to anymore. Best bet is trying to find a cached version of the site, instructions for which are further back in the thread.

"Supporting point contact with or beyond the marker disc after the disc has been released is not permitted."

So just fall on your face making sure your feet are in the air.

The only one I saved is the Stance supporting document -- screenshots attached:

Attachments

• IMG_1346.JPG
    IMG_1346.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1347.JPG
    IMG_1347.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 22