• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No more Jump Putting?

Yeah, my discs land on smooth, flat, unencumbered surfaces all of the time. In the rough, underneath bushes, on the side of a hill, etc. is a different story.

How do you mark your lie now if you are stuck up a tree? There is currently no exact marking, this is no different or worse way.

Not sure why anyone marks their disc anyway other than if they wanted to reuse the previously throw disc for their next shot. Seems like a lot of extra bending over for no gain. As long as marking your lie is not required, I don't care what the rule is personally.

As far as jump putting, I've tried it on and off over the years. I gave a good run recently on several dozen rounds. Still not a fan. The only time I feel like I need extra oomph is on an up hill shot and a little hop can come in handy. But if that becomes against the rules, I'm fine with it.

How big is your foot? When you approach/fairway drive, your foot should pivot to release tension and stress on your knee in conjunction with the arm going forward, so the disc has not left the hand before the foot pivots (in good form). 8 cms means a footfault hitting the marker or going past every time. I'm pretty sure it's why Stokely got the famous call last year, his size 14's (around 35 cms) didn't pivot, they got stuck on a tuft of grass when normally they would have pivoted into a legal stance at release.

Wow, thanks for the DGCR quality form lesson :rolleyes:

If you don't want to risk the foot fault you stand and deliver on fairway drives, or you mark your disc. How hard is that? Or you make a run up on the 8cm spot and get good at it.

And no, Stokely did not get called because his clown feet failed to pivot into line, that is just silly.

Wow, thanks for the DGCR quality form lesson :rolleyes:

If you don't want to risk the foot fault you stand and deliver on fairway drives, or you mark your disc. How hard is that? Or you make a run up on the 8cm spot and get good at it.

Stand and deliver doesn't stop the need for the foot pivoting.

There is a different rule for marking a disc above the playing surface. That is not what is in question here.

Unless you take your plumbum out with you to the course there is lots of best intentioned inexact marking already. This is just a different way of marking that gives slightly less room for wiggle on finding a lie (IMO good, one of the main tenets of golf is play it as it lies, we already get away with a lot more than ball golf, this changes it to a standard 30 cms instead of potential 52) and has the expected result of speeding up play (albeit maybe not that much)

If your marking is out by 2 or 3 cms as a result of a disc in rough terrain (surely just as likely marking the back edge as the front anyway?) it's less of an issue than someone getting another 20 cms forward and opening up that line. We've all been in lies in the woods before where it does make that difference.

Playing it as it lies is a stupid argument for backmarking, as that is not what you are doing. In that case you are playing it from behind where it lies. If you want to argue playing it as it lies, front marking is the logical solution to this nonexistent problem.

Stand and deliver doesn't stop the need for the foot pivoting.

You must have clown feet and clown coordination.

Fine, your awkward self will not be persuaded, let's make the rule 45 cm behind the front edge of the disc. Now you get 23 cm without picking up a disc, enough space you clumsy oaf?

(50 cm better than 45 so it's half a meter)

Might as well also make the "Line of Play" as wide as the disc you leave on the ground for even more flexibility and better chance of hitting your mark on fairway run-ups.

(50 cm better than 45 so it's half a meter)

Might as well also make the "Line of Play" as wide as the disc you leave on the ground for even more flexibility and better chance of hitting your mark on fairway run-ups.

Cool with 50 cm, not so cool with "as wide as the disc" as that means each throw could potentially have a different line of play.

responding specifically to this line from Steve's post:
Why would anyone even mark anything, except to throw the thrown disc? Would there need to be a rule that if you mark it, you MUST use the thrown disc?

Currenty, the front egde of the disc defines the lie. If the rear of the thrown disc is very close to an obstacle (e.g. tree trunk, bush, bldg.) marking the lie with a mini provides space to place your foot for a legal stance without stepping on the thrown disc. That's the only legit reason I can think of for marking a disc you don't plan to throw.

I suppose players are also "entitled" to the step right up to the leading edge of the thrown disc, for those who feel that 8" or so is important at that time.

Last edited:
Currenty, the front egde of the disc defines the lie.

tha rulz said:
The spot on the playing surface behind the marker, upon which the player takes a stance in accordance with the rules. It is a line 30 centimeters in length extending back along the line of play from the rear edge of the marker disc. The lie for the first throw on a hole is the teeing area. A drop zone is also a lie.

Pretty sure the rule is the rear edge of the disc defines the lie, and I want it to be as you stated.

Currenty, the front egde of the disc defines the lie.

False, false, false. The REAR edge of the marker designates the front of the lie. That goes whether the marker is the previously thrown disc or a mini.

The front edge of the disc defines nothing under the current rules.

False, false, false. The REAR edge of the marker designates the front of the lie. That goes whether the marker is the previously thrown disc or a mini.

The front edge of the disc defines nothing under the current rules.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So we are all good with 50cm from the front of the thrown disc or the back of the mini marker? Yes? Hooray!! :clap:

We should also consider allowing the mark to be moved forward up to 50 cm from walls and tree trunks versus the current solid object relief going behind. Ideally, players would choose whichever involves the least movement from the front edge of their disc. This would eliminate the foolish go behind a building or rock wall and at the same time prevent someone from really moving forward when on a boulder where going back was closer to their disc's landing spot than moving forward.

at the same time prevent someone from really moving forward when on a boulder where going back was closer to their disc's landing spot than moving forward.

Refresh me on this scenario, I'm not following.

Latest posts