• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nuke OS & SS

discspeed said:
Apothecary said:
theyre apples and oranges. z nuke ss is a fast distance driver where the xcal is a fairway and they both fly as such. no use comparing them beyond recognizing that theyre not in the same category. they dont have much in common besides being generally overstable.

I don't consider speed sensitive, 2.3cm rim width discs fairway drivers.

Me neither

Thank you for the comparison. would "XCal that goes to 11" make sense as a 1 sentence review?

XCal that goes to 14 and won't get flippy. Kindasortanotevenclosereally.

discspeed said:
The NukeOS is a badassmotherfucker of a disc.

If we are going with one liners, which never communicate much anyway, I'll stand by my original^^^.

And to Apoth's credit, the champ version does seem really slow for it's rim width. Kind of like the Max is much slower than it's rim width brethren (Monarch, Wraith, Teerex, Archon). Why is Innova so stuck on blunt noses for overstability?

StumperTX said:
discspeed said:
Apothecary said:
theyre apples and oranges. z nuke ss is a fast distance driver where the xcal is a fairway and they both fly as such. no use comparing them beyond recognizing that theyre not in the same category. they dont have much in common besides being generally overstable.

I don't consider speed sensitive, 2.3cm rim width discs fairway drivers.

Me neither

Thank you for the comparison. would "XCal that goes to 11" make sense as a 1 sentence review?

It's known for its sustain.

Hyzerline49 said:
still got a proto z nuke os and a le esp nuke os... if anyone is interested

I've got like three bucks for your nuke os... there's a alley cat that needs killing that's been fighting with my house cat. There's also a couple low hanging branches at my home course I could use the nuke os to chop off, otherwise no thanks. :wink:

i wanted to love the ss. its just too damn flippy. took it up to 8k' and planned on it being my money driver...it still turned so much that i couldnt really use it for anything more than a roller (useless on a ski slope).

Apothecary said:
i wanted to love the ss. its just too damn flippy. took it up to 8k' and planned on it being my money driver...it still turned so much that i couldnt really use it for anything more than a roller (useless on a ski slope).

Was it flat perchance? I have a Nuke with minimally concave flight plate and it is one of the flippiest discs ever.

I've been reading this thread and trying to get a good assessment, but lots of contradictions, even from the same people. For example...

NoLifeLeft said:
My Nuke OS begins fading earlier than my PD2s and has less glide but yields about the same distance because of its speed.

and

NoLifeLeft said:
Mine is more stable than my C-PD2s. Like a faster Spirit for me.

...makes no sense.

So what is it relative to a PD2? More stable, or more over-stable? First you say its straighter, then you say it fades before, a PD2. Please clear this up, I'm interested in getting into all these beefcake discs and figuring them out. I know Avery likes the PD2 a lot, but he isn't exactly a good benchmark for comparison for most players.

His statements aren't contradictory they are just worded poorly.

My statements were worded drunkenly and will live on in beautiful, quoted infamy. Wanna see what I said? Read on.

JHern said:
I've been reading this thread and trying to get a good assessment, but lots of contradictions, even from the same people. For example...

NoLifeLeft said:
My Nuke OS begins fading earlier than my PD2s and has less glide but yields about the same distance because of its speed.

and

NoLifeLeft said:
Mine is more stable than my C-PD2s. Like a faster Spirit for me.

...makes no sense.

So what is it relative to a PD2? More stable, or more over-stable? First you say its straighter, then you say it fades before, a PD2. Please clear this up, I'm interested in getting into all these beefcake discs and figuring them out. I know Avery likes the PD2 a lot, but he isn't exactly a good benchmark for comparison for most players.

Not many people I talk to about disc golf use stable to mean straight. Usually they mean high speed stable, with the word stable meaning resistance to high speed turn.

Anyway, the NukeOS has less glide, is faster, a little more high speed stable, and a lot more low speed overstable than the PD2. It is as if the PD2 is a Teebird and the NukeOS is a Firebird.

Under-Stable=Turns Over
Stable=Straight
Over-Stable=Hard-Hyzer

All the disc golfers I know use this terminology.

"Stability" is an exact engineering and scientific term. If you use it any other way, then you're off the beaten path.

Apothecary said:
flat as a pancake. like all the (10 or so) nuke ss's ive thrown.

Here is a legitimate issue: If you knew exactly what a Z Nuke or Nuke SS were supposed to be like and the flat or concave examples deviated from the factory spec are you allowed to try to return the disc to the factory spec? What the intended factory spec is can only be answered by Discraft so therein lies a practical problem for us if we wanted to get the return on our investment we wanted to have -a usable disc. If copying the dome height of other normally flying Nukes can't be used as a reference for dome height and PLH (why would it not be a legal point -if it weren't where is the rule that says similarly named discs must be shaped differently from each other?). Dome height and PLH are the usual suspects for flight changes between discs and the same discs over the wear cycle. I haven't checked the third factor the wing profile of the concave Nuke vs normal Nukes yet. The PLH is high on that mutant understable Nuke so that ain't the problem most likely.

Do you know about the Ching Rocs that have the factory made, thus legal, large stamp induced flatter top than other Rocs? Because you know that the stamping process changes the well known Innova mold are you allowed to return the Ching Roc back to regular Ranchero dome height?

Amateur said:
His statements aren't contradictory.

I would read this as fading earlier and more stable mean that the NukeOS is more overstable than the PD2. If you view a PD2 as an overstable disc, then something being more stable will have to be more overstable. Stable doesn't equal straight, it is a relative term used to describe disc flight. In relation to something understable, stable is more overstable.

For instance, If you view the PD2 as an understable disc and a NukeOS is more stable than the PD2 it would still be more stable, no?

More overstable is just plain, bad english. Not trying to be a dickaroo, but this really shouldn't be confusing to anyone. If anyone can explain this more good, please go ahead.
Ummmmm, no. Stable indeed does mean straight, won't turn, won't fade, overstable won't turn, will fade, and understable will turn, won't fade (in an idealized case). For example: A new C-MD2 won't turn and will fade. A beat up D-MD2 will turn and won't fade. A new D-MD2 won't turn and won't fade, so it's more stable than either the new C or beat D. Many disc golfers are just lazy or uninformed and say "more stable" when meaning "more overstable".

Back to the Nuke SS, from what I've heard they're all over the board. Some are the flippiest discs ever and some are actually usable. You'd need to hunt around for the good ones, and I'm not sure it's good enough to warrant that anyway.

I wonder if i was sold a Nuke SS as a Z Nuke. At the moment it is unusable for me. I roll with other discs. it is a fast and long roller for sure and easy to get to roll. Like stupid easy and horrible for anything else. It won't even barrel roll :)