• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

On course injuries/medical emergencies?

12-13 years ago,playing France Park,in Logansport IN., #16 approach shot took one step. The grass was cut level with a hole. Rrriipppp....Twisted ankle. By the time I took a few steps,Well just think of a softball cut in half. Now put each half on either side of your ankle! I actually HEARD the tear! A trip to the ER (and $800) an Air cast l was playing a few days later. AIR CAST'S are GREAT!!!

Early in the summer, I smacked my hand on a tree following through on an anny shot. Hairline fracture, still hurts when somebody grips too hard on a handshake. Before I did that, I always thought "How could anybody ever do something so stupid?" :doh:

On absolute that I have learned over the years. During your practice swings if you think there is a possibility your hand might hit a tree, you will, and harder than you think. Time to step out the other side and throw forehand.

It wasn't me, and I wasn't even there, but I heard a good story when I was checking people in at AmWorlds this summer.
A guy stopped at the course up in Norwalk, OH the night before AmWorlds began. They had just installed tee signs at the course, and he wasn't used to them. On his drive he hit his hand on one of the new signs, and split his finger/hand open.

Guy couldn't play AmWorlds after that. I felt bad for him. I think he went ahead and played a couple days into it just to play some.

It wasn't me, and I wasn't even there, but I heard a good story when I was checking people in at AmWorlds this summer.
A guy stopped at the course up in Norwalk, OH the night before AmWorlds began. They had just installed tee signs at the course, and he wasn't used to them. On his drive he hit his hand on one of the new signs, and split his finger/hand open.

Guy couldn't play AmWorlds after that. I felt bad for him. I think he went ahead and played a couple days into it just to play some.

That's bad course maintenance at it's finest! It should not even be remotely possible to hit a tee sign with your hand when you tee off.

Somebody fell into a thermal feature at the Old Faithful Non Existent Disc Golf Course in Yellowstone, WY. They have this stuff called floating grass. You are walking, and suddenly all the land around you wobbles, like it's on top of water. Well, it IS on top of water and sometimes you fall through. He only suffered 2nd degree burns though, so thats good.

Danger on the Old faithful course I broke through ground into a scalding hot pot behind hole #5. I ran/limped to the Firehole river (sounds hot but is really cold) and dunked my foot in there. I eventually had to walk back about half a mile to my car and drive myself to the clinic where the doctor told me I had 3rd degree burns on my foot and with no pain meds I got to watch them cut the skin off of my foot.

Old Faithful is still my favorite course and now I have a foot shaped hot pot named after me! :clap:

Other Injuries that occured on the Old Faithful course not to me - My buddy knocked out cold by hippy chick grip locking - Buddy gets gored by bison (I climbed tree), cuts along shoulder, no serious injury - A guy on the course at the same time as us gets pinned against a tree by a bison, broke 6 ribs - A stupid girl gets second degree burns on her hand trying to retrieve her disc after throwing into a hot pot, the steam in the middle of summer apparently was not a give away that she should use a stick. :wall:

Last edited:
*Johnson * thought he'd try something new and did a 360 spin, let go early and nailed my wife in the temple. I thought she was going to die, it was the hardest throw ever imagined with an overstable driver, I believe a nuke, anyhow She was standing about twenty ft ahead of the tee and thirty ft to the left next to a tree. This injury was a month before our wedding and she was worried the bloodshot eye and bruised temple/goose egg wouldn't go away, but it did. *johnson* doesn't like me telling this story, I wonder why? Btw it was a pretty safe place to stand and this was a freak accident. *johnson* was just trying something new and it went horribly wrong. I haven't seen him throw a 360 spin ever since

It was truly a horrific throw, haunts me to this day. Pretty sure it wasn't a 360 though...

1986:
I was playing a casual game with a lady friend and her kids when I went to block a shot. Suddenly the wind changed the flight path and my hand went to deflect the disc (In fun ya know) and I crushed my hand into the basket. My hand didn't hurt to much later. The doctor put my hand into a wrist brace for six weeks. I still have a lump on my hand from this.

I took a friend to the Disc Golf course for his first time about two years ago after he had a heavy night of drinking. He threw a couple practice putts then turned towards me and froze. His body went rigid and he started to experience a Gran Mal (spelling?) seizure when he had never had a seizure before. A putter was gripped tight in his hand the whole time and he slowly fell to his side, where I ran to on the phone with 911 unsure of what was going on. He turned out to be fine, but it scared the crap out of me.

Danger on the Old faithful course I broke through ground into a scalding hot pot behind hole #5. I ran/limped to the Firehole river (sounds hot but is really cold) and dunked my foot in there. I eventually had to walk back about half a mile to my car and drive myself to the clinic where the doctor told me I had 3rd degree burns on my foot and with no pain meds I got to watch them cut the skin off of my foot.

Old Faithful is still my favorite course and now I have a foot shaped hot pot named after me! :clap:

Other Injuries that occured on the Old Faithful course not to me - My buddy knocked out cold by hippy chick grip locking - Buddy gets gored by bison (I climbed tree), cuts along shoulder, no serious injury - A guy on the course at the same time as us gets pinned against a tree by a bison, broke 6 ribs - A stupid girl gets second degree burns on her hand trying to retrieve her disc after throwing into a hot pot, the steam in the middle of summer apparently was not a give away that she should use a stick. :wall:

These stories are proof that hippy chicks can be just as deadly as wild animals :)

@hooked312 got a bad case of the 10 minute itch which is this plant that if it makes contact with your skin makes it feel like satan him self is raping every square inch of exposed skin. It was pretty awesome to witness.

At the George Anderson DGC at Lake Yellowstone, they have a 'classic' every year and there is a keg, and a bbq, and its loads of fun.

This year, about 30 bison decided to join us for the festivities. They didn't injure anybody but a few folks stuck VERY close to the keg for a while. After the bison left the winds arrived. Hooray!

I don't know if anybody remembers but this asshat was in the park a week or two prior and everybody was a little on edge for a while http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwUD51DeKqo

Thought I would add a potentially disastrous blurp with a good ending just to keep morale up :)

Last edited:
There is a few rope swings setup at Chestnut Ridge... you can see where this is going. My friend, who had been using all of them rather sucessfully throughout the round decides to use the last one a few times. He ends up getting his foot stuck and falling into the creek backwards with his foot still caught. He ended up with a really bad bruise on his back and shoulder and probably a concussion but finished out the last few holes.

almost broke my arm on a tree, checked to make sure my arm wouldn't hit the tree in front of me when I threw, didn't realize there was a tree behind me, threw as hard as I could, when my arm went behind me...THUD!!...and I was bent over almost in tears. Nice huge bruise on my arm, I was in a tourney the next day, claim thats why i lost :)

Doesn't compare to most of y'alls stories but it is regular and long lasting.
The evil, dreaded P.O.
P1010889.jpg

@hooked312 got a bad case of the 10 minute itch which is this plant that if it makes contact with your skin makes it feel like satan him self is raping every square inch of exposed skin. It was pretty awesome to witness.

Oh yea, had me freaked out. I almost stripped naked on the course. Good thing there was the stream so I washed some of it off!

WTF!?! I'm NEVER playing that course!

Makes Diamond X sound pretty tame...

I took a friend to the Disc Golf course for his first time about two years ago after he had a heavy night of drinking. He threw a couple practice putts then turned towards me and froze. His body went rigid and he started to experience a Gran Mal (spelling?) seizure when he had never had a seizure before. A putter was gripped tight in his hand the whole time and he slowly fell to his side, where I ran to on the phone with 911 unsure of what was going on. He turned out to be fine, but it scared the crap out of me.

Scary stuff, bro! My buddy had never had one, and I had never seen one.

Throwing RHBH I had a bizarre throw go high and right, kinda slipped, don't know what exactly happened but I ended up tweaking my LEFT shoulder. Weird right? Still pops to this day...

Latest posts