• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One Day in L.A. - Where to Play?

Luke@DiscTrips

Bogey Member
I've never been to SoCal before, but on a Sunday in March I'm going to wake up early in Riverside, grab a rental car, and play as much DG as possible before getting on an 11:00pm red-eye flight at LAX.

So..... where should I play?

Clearly, La Mirada is at the very top of my list. But in addition to that, it's all about quantity... how many different courses in the area do you think I can hit (or suggest I try) in that long day, given the city's crazy distances & drive times?

For me, an easy 9 with some scenic or cultural flavor is just as interesting as (if not moreso than) a big, tough 18 where all the pros can be spotted.

I'll spend time with this site's mapping tool and reviews, but I especially want some logistical input on the "how many" as well as the "which ones." Thanks!

Depending on the time you set out, and the time it gets dark, you could probably play three or four. Either way there are probably a few routes you could take. You could do - La Mirada, Huntington, Long Beach... then the airport (or) La Mirada, Oak Grove, Sylmar... then the airport.

The first route would give you more options for lunch/dinner at a nicer restaraunt & those three courses are "longer" in general. The second route would allow you to play OG (the first DG course ever) and Sylmar (one of so-cals more fun DG courses). These courses are shorter and more technical in general.

I've played Sylmar, Cerritos, Huntington Beach, and Oak Grove in one day before. But I started in Sylmar. Your issue is starting in Riverside, it's out there quite a ways (although Riverside might be close enough to La Mirada - idk).
DSCJNKY

LA Trip

Not having played all of these courses, I can't tell you which would be preferred. In terms of Logistics, I would go the La Mirada, Oak Grove, Sylmar route (Or you may want to consider Chavez Ridge- scenic views of LA). It depends on what day of the week you are going as well. Good Luck.

Cool, thanks guys. It'll be on a Sunday, so hopefully traffic will be lighter. I like the idea of hitting Oak Grove for the historical value, and I've read good things about Sylmar. And scenic views of LA at Chavez Ridge might be cool too....

This is all really helpful for my planning. I can't wait to get out there!

Logistically-speaking, your best bet is going to be La Mirada, El Dorado (Long Beach) & Huntington Beach if you are coming from Riverside. However, if you get up early and don't mind the extra driving, you could do Sylmar, Oak Grove and Chavez Ridge or Sylmar, Oak Grove and La Mirada. Too bad you won't be here in the summer because you could get a lot more disc golf in. Last summer, I headed out early and played El Dorado, La Mirada, Oak Grove and Sylmar in the same day. Any way you go, I am sure you'll have a great time out here in So Cal!

If heading out toward Sylmar, what about Whittier Narrows in South El Monte? I think that's a pretty good course too. I'd rate it a 3.5.

If you're curious, I thought I'd let you know how my one day in L.A. turned out. I took your advice and picked three major courses to hit, but filled in the gaps with stops at three fun little neighborhood 9s. (Why doesn't anyone ever suggest the 9-hole courses?)

When all was said and done, I had played 87 holes on 6 courses -- both personal single-day records (prior marks of 63 holes & 5 courses). Boo-yah! It was a gorgeous, if a bit cool, day in L.A. Here's how it went:

1. La Mirada (I played 23 of the 36 holes -- sorry, but it wasn't as amazing as I hoped)
2. Liberty Park (9)
3. Private Anderson Park (9)
4. Mills Park (9)
5. Chavez Ridge (18) -- LOVED it. Great elevation & views.
6. Oak Grove (19) -- the first DG course ever, now on my list.

So yeah, good times. The entire outing took only 7 hours. Thanks again for all the tips!

La Mirada is big enough that I would definately suggest that you plan your day around. The only other course you might consider doing this around with is Sylmar.

So, La Mirada/Huntington Beach/El Dorado makes a good combo.

Also, Sylmar/Oak Grove/Chavez Ridge makes a good combo as well.

I would take the first one personally. Depending on how early you start and when you start you might be able to get them all in.

Latest posts