• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] OS Midrange: help me spend money!

The only zone i have thrown is esp. its not really midrange speed. You wouldnt see any difference in distance from your rhyno in my opinion. I would say go ahead and try a normal midrange like gator, justice, drone, demon and if those are too stable try hornet, bard, m1 if they are too fast then zone, or too slow then go to trident, viper, moab type disc.

I personally currently carry harp, demon, and trident. That distance hyzer is very common in charlotte so i have alot of flexibility for that slot. Where you probably dont need all 3.

Verdict is a great disc. Flat topped and OS but has great distance potential. If you want a little shorter, os and smaller diameter the glow gator is really really nice too!

Btw I absolutely agree with bagging a OS mid (and OS fairway).

so does that mean that ALL Star Gators are beadless? Or did they realize the error of their ways?
There are some on the Factory Store right now.

Well, to be honest I'm leaning towards the Glow Champ Gator or Drone right now so it might be a moot point.

I carry a Z Hornet, and in strong wind conditions might put a Star Gator (beaded) in my bag.

Having said that, I also have a Harp (approach) and a Champion Banshee (fairway) and could probably take the OS mid out of my bag.

I love the MOAB (retooled Viper) and the Kaxe for something a little less beefy, but still overstable. Lately, I've been adoring the Element Radium (proto 8) but that's about the same flight as a Kaxe for me. About a 6/4/0/2. Not super meaty, but reliable in wind and rarely turns over. For pure OS duties, I haven't found anything as good as a MOAB or Prodigy's A-series.

Btw I absolutely agree with bagging a OS mid (and OS fairway).

Me too. Powering down overstable fairways is doable, but has higher potential for weird skips/rolls. They also don't give as much margin for error with slight under-throws or over-throws, so I tend to fade earlier than intended more often than I would with an OS mid.

Granted, that's user error and I have plenty of room for improvement, but so far it's been worth keeping the OS mid in the bag, even if only for 1-2 shots per round.

So the Gator is more OS than a Hornet? I have a bunch of Hornets but have never even thrown a Gator.

The Gator tends to go straight (if thrown straight), then remembers it's supposed to be overstable, whereupon it'll seek the ground and dump straight to the earth. On hyzers, the Gator tends to fade/crash hard, which is fine if that's what one wants. I use the Gator for fighting winds, spike hyzers, and putting when the wind is beating my face (the Gator is very underrated as a putter).

For those that have not tried the Hornet: the Hornet tends to fade more "smoothly" and glide a bit more. If I need to clear an obstacle such as tree branches, I'll throw the Hornet out to the right (RHBH throw) and watch it glide around the obstacle and sail towards the basket. Also, just today I threw a fairly low shot between sets of branches and the Hornet skipped nicely and right up to the basket.

My Hornets (I have two, one as a backup) tend to go almost as far as my Buzzzes on the range on full power throws, though the Hornet loses just a bit of ground as it begins to fade sooner and longer. But it WILL get out there like a good mid. Disclaimer: I rarely throw the Hornet full power on the course; I use it almost exclusively for approaches.

so does that mean that ALL Star Gators are beadless? Or did they realize the error of their ways?
There are some on the Factory Store right now.

Well, to be honest I'm leaning towards the Glow Champ Gator or Drone right now so it might be a moot point.

Pretty sure all new star gators are beaded, but it is Innova so ya never know. As someone said, Hyzerbomb took over the beadless gator mold and call it the Mortar.

As far as champ gators, I think they have f2's in the pro shop or there are production metal flake. Just some cheaper options.

I love the Viper for that but having to buy from Innova Pro shop for premium plastic is a pain. Hyzerbomb MOAB is a similar disc that is available in premium plastic.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I'd almost always suggest a BT Harp here, but since he's looking for something that skips too, maybe a classic overstable driver like a whippet would work. Honorable mentions to the blaze and demon.

Verdict. A very versatile disc! It will save/shave strokes especially on wooded courses. Easy to range, easy to finesse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is the distance potential of a Zone? Is there enough distance difference to carry both molds?
I'm getting 175g DX Rhynos out to 275' or 300' (I think... I've never measured.)

No, the zone glides like a brick. Its really slow as well. You sound like you are looking for a more normal speed midrange.

Depends on what you get. I throw my Z's to about 260' on full pulls. I max around 380-400, for reference.

Between a Zone and a Firebird I see no need for an OS mid.

I think that there may be no real need for this slot when discs you may allready have will do just fine. But...

I too throw Rhynos but really max at about 250 on the overstable ones and rarely try to throw them that far. I also throw Zones b/c I find I cannot forehand the Rhyno as well. There is a bit of difference in distance between my really overstable Zone and Rhyno (I do throw the Zone backhand on occasion when I want to change it up a bit), but not enough to bother with if you don't carry a Zone yet.

I have carried a Drone in the past and would recommend this if you must fill the spot. It may have a bit more distance potential than a Gator as it is slightly faster, but the main reason is that you can easily find a Z Drone vs Champ Gator.

Last edited:
If you can throw a Rhyno that far and want the ability to get skips and throw rollers, I'd probably suggest a Justice or a Trident. How much further would any of the traditional OS mids be useful for over your rhyno? And a XXX goes just about as far as a firebird, at least when I've thrown them forehand.

I know there are a TON of responses already. But I have thrown a handful and Prefer the BuzzzOS, as I am a Buzz fan it feels great and does the job well:
Pther options
innova Gator
Innova Commander - wide diameter and fast
Dynamic Justice
Discraft Hornet
Prodigy A1/A2 - these are a little less distance potential, but nice and OS for short range duties
Discraft Zone - similar ^^
Westside Harp - Similar ^^^ but not as beeefy as A1 A2 or even the Zone

I was going to suggest the Commander as well. I see a number of the local pros running it and they get some crazy shots with it. Lots of field aces and has great skip. It just takes a fair amount of power to get those kind of shots, just like a champ monster.
Personally I rarely use actual mid ranges. I run the proxy/envy combo for most of those shots. They have crazy distance potential and the envy is surprisingly stable. For crazy overstable short range shots or skip around something shots I run a frost line XXX which is super beefy but I can also hammer on it if really needed and get some decent distance out of it. I also have the MVP matrix and the Verdict but now that I have the envy those rarely get used.
Other discs to consider would be: Discmania MD3, DD Justice, Suspect, Prodigy A3, Fluid Felon, Harp, I also like the A4 it felt like a longer harp.
I've ran gators and zones before, I know some people love them I just don't care for the feel of them.

Latest posts