• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overstable Mid

SAxDrc

Birdie Member
I did a search for "overstable mid" and found a bunch of info but I guess I want something more specific to me.

I have 2 mids right now, a beat to hell comet and an gateway element. I find that the comet is fairly understable and the element goes pretty straight. I am looking for something more overstable. I used to have a 12x KC pro roc but lost it. Should I try another roc or something else? I don't care at all what brand it is.

Get a Z Hornet , and you will be very happy. I use it for all my overstable mid shots. It flies like an overstable Buzz

Another Roc would be a great compliment to the mids you already carry.

Last edited:
I use a Wasp to go with my Comet collection...very similar feel in the hand
I found the Hornet to be REALLY overstable and I think all things being equal...
using the same arm speed that you use to throw your comet and element to do what they do... the wasp would be a better fit.

I agree with the OP about the Comet's understability.

I use a Wasp to go with my Comet collection...very similar feel in the hand
I found the Hornet to be REALLY overstable and I think all things being equal...
using the same arm speed that you use to throw your comet and element to do what they do... the wasp would be a better fit.

All my mids are Discraft, and I have to agree with RichMeade; Comet, Buzzz, Wasp covers a lot of territory quite nicely. All are very predictable fliers.

That being said... can't knock the Roc, but there seem to be about 20 different versions of 'em.
If you found one you like, get another, if possible

Last edited:
A wasp or a rancho roc (kc pro or dx) would be fine for most mid shots where you need stability. Anything where you really need a meathook it's probably more consistent to power down on an overstable driver anyway.

Def get another roc and if you are looking for something even more overstable then that then get a gator, those things are amazing for there overstableness

If you want something as stable as a gator, get a CFR one. It will stay stable for way longer than a dx and is way cheaper than the champ stock stamp.

ive recently gotten my lost star cro back and love it. i took the roc+ outa my bag to fit it back in. the cro is a bit more compact, less glide and a lil more stable than a roc.

ive recently gotten my lost star cro back and love it. i took the roc+ outa my bag to fit it back in. the cro is a bit more compact, less glide and a lil more stable than a roc.

Ehh I don't quite agree with this. Id say the cro is less stable then a roc, unless ur throwing a beat up roc. The cro is nice but not what I would consider an overstable mid. Especially in the wind, this dis is not good, it will turn rich over. Def go with a roc or a gator.

^^agree to disagree. there is no turning my star cro over unless im really trying to. ive thrown many rocs and my roc+ was brand new and was straighter than even my dx cros.

** i was throwing the roc with oober snap from the tee mostly, where im using the cro for more mid and fairway shots. but still, more stable for me thus it replaced my roc since i already throw a buzzz anyway.

Yeah man, just go with a kc pro roc, keep it simple. Don't go out spending a bunch of money on different discs.

A wasp or a rancho roc (kc pro or dx) would be fine for most mid shots where you need stability. Anything where you really need a meathook it's probably more consistent to power down on an overstable driver anyway.

What beaker said. If you want something in premium plastic, a Pain is a nice substitute (+1 Strauss). The only reason I hesitate saying Wasp is that they've goofed that mold up apparently into being a Buzzz with a bead instead of properly overstable like they used to be. I know the last Z Wasp I had wasn't really overstable at all really, just straight. But considering you throw an Element and a beat Comet, a Wasp, C-MD2 or even Z Buzzz may be all the overstability you need. Hell, you could even keep it in the Gateway family if you wanted to and throw a Warrior.

Latest posts