• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] P McB Proto- THE KONG...er, um...THE ZEUS!

Titan037

AKA dgfanatic7
Looks like a lot of these are starting to pop up. They got sent out to team members a while ago and they had a stack of 200 at the memorial so now it's time to start a thread. I paid a comical price for my two but I really wanted to test these for myself. Will chime back in when I receive them

Yes, post some pics please!

Interested in how to compares to a force or hurricane.

Neither does this one

As soon as the disc is in my hands ill answer any questions and make it useful. Here are a couple pics. The last pic is one of the ones I'm getting
The first pic is Kong on the left, esp force on the right. Supposedly though the mold is being tweaked. They want it more stable.

2cyfjeo.png

2hxpwqx.png

2e5pfly.png

Can they really "tweak" the LUNA and KONG AFTER the PDGA approval?

But then i dont really undestand the PDGA approval, many discs i have that differs from the PDGA approval measurements ( The UNDERTAKER do not have a 1,9cm rim and the VULTURE do not have a 1,8cm rim for example)

Can they really "tweak" the LUNA and KONG AFTER the PDGA approval?

But then i dont really undestand the PDGA approval, many discs i have that differs from the PDGA approval measurements ( The UNDERTAKER do not have a 1,9cm rim and the VULTURE do not have a 1,8cm rim for example)

The measurements are for what the manufacturers send to me for PDGA approval. If later discs shrink or they make retoolings without sending samples to me for testing, I have no way to check because I don't go to all the ratailers to check what they are selling. If I made a mistake like a typo, I will always correct it if I know to check. Others are welcome to email if think there are actual errors, not just slight variations from the original test values.

Thanks for that answer :)

But lets say PDGA approv the KONG and later lets say at a tournament see that the discs measurements is way of from the disc they tested. . . .can PDGA take away that disc from the approval list?

The VULTURE definitely have a wider rim than the UNDERTAKER not the other way around that the PDGA measurements says

The measurements are for what the manufacturers send to me for PDGA approval. If later discs shrink or they make retoolings without sending samples to me for testing, I have no way to check because I don't go to all the ratailers to check what they are selling. If I made a mistake like a typo, I will always correct it if I know to check. Others are welcome to email if think there are actual errors, not just slight variations from the original test values.

Would be nice if the PDGA had regulations if the actual tooling of a mold is changed and the measurement changes by more than maybe lets say for e.g. .1cm (or whatever the PDGA deems significant enough) it should be sent in for re-approval, or at the bare minimum for an update to measurements.

What stops them from making a "tweaked" "new tooling" mold under the same name "Kong" and sending 100 to McBeth and no one else gets an opportunity to have this "tweaked" mold? The whole point of the approval was so many have to be available to public, etc...

Last edited:
Thanks for that answer :)

But lets say PDGA approv the KONG and later lets say at a tournament see that the discs measurements is way of from the disc they tested. . . .can PDGA take away that disc from the approval list?

The VULTURE definitely have a wider rim than the UNDERTAKER not the other way around that the PDGA measurements says

Sure we could if it changes enough to make it an illegal disc, like under 21 cm or too stiff to meet the flex test. How much of a difference do you find? FYI, some of the differences can have nothing to do with retooling, but rather the cycle time and the air temperature and how quickly a disc is cooled after removing it from the mold.

Would be nice if the PDGA had regulations if the actual tooling of a mold is changed and the measurement changes by more than maybe lets say for e.g. .1cm (or whatever the PDGA deems significant enough) it should be sent in for re-approval, or at the bare minimum for an update to measurements.

What stops them from making a "tweaked" "new tooling" mold under the same name "Kong" and sending 100 to McBeth and no one else gets an opportunity to have this "tweaked" mold? The whole point of the approval was so many have to be available to public, etc...

^ ^ ^ This. The PDGA rule about 500 being available to the public before they can be used in tournaments may have been designed just to prevent the kind of cheating you suggest.

There are a lot of people upset with this 'incident' concerning the Kong, and we may see much stronger enforcement of the rules, as well as disallowing 'tweaking' without re-approvals.

There's a much longer history to this than I think you realize. I don't care to recount it here because I don't have the time and I don't really use DGCR much at all. But for more than ten years I argued to the PDGA Board that we need to test variants, not just the original discs submitted. The Board finally agreed with me around 12-13 years ago, but then the manufacturers objected strongly, claiming that it was too much "government", that it was way too onerous for them. Then the Board reversed the requirement. I will test and add variants as approved, but only if they are submitted to me for testing, with the PDGA charging no fee for that. This process may of course change in the future and it is bound to as the sport matures. There's much more to this. You have to remember that much of the PDGA work is done by volunteers. I've spent 5,000+ hours as a volunteer since 1989 (FYI, I've been with the PDGA as Tech Standards Chair the longest of anyone thus far) and so I've done my best to help grow disc golf. Now I get some money as a consultant to the PDGA (It's been between 7 and 10K the last few years, depending on the number of discs and targets that I receive for testing), but I still volunteer a huge amount of time with no compensation. My big project now is organizing the Disc Golf Who's Who for the World, modeling on the history I compiled last year for the state of Oklahoma.

Last edited:
If you're interested you can find out more about my back ground in disc golf and disc sports here: https://sites.google.com/site/okpdga/oklahoma-hall-of-fame/jeffrey-homburg

You can find info on my work in research here: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jeffrey_Homburg

And here you can find a complete collection of discs that I've tested, more than 1,100, for the PDGA here (my wife needs to retake some of the early photos and last five discs I approved yesterday, but this record is ~99% complete). In the future, hopefully later this year, these photos will be available through the PDGA website. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BwP5H3rUX4XEeTVKcVhGTlRuakE

The PDGA approval process is bogus. It keeps us from having customized-to-fit discs like real golfers have with their clubs. Tech standards can still apply

It needs to be removed. At this point, I suspect it simply acts as a fundraiser.

Another reason I will not join the PDGA

Latest posts