• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pagosa Springs-Moab-Denver-Telluride trek

FRIZZLE TOSSLER

Birdie Member
Hey guys/gals,

Me, the lady friend, & the new pup are just about to spring from Taos heading to Pagosa Springs & Durango today. We're planning on playing Reservoir Hill (never played) today & heading to Moab Sat to chill & play out @ one of my favorite places in the world: Base Camp.

Staying @ base Camp till Mon. Heading to Denver area on Monday & gunna be in the area till Fri morning when we head down to Telluride for a few days. Should be in Telluride area till Mon or Tues (Aug 8-9). From there prolly back down to Taos & thru Cloudcroft & El Paso. Only set-in-stone plans are shows Thurs Aug 4th in Denver, Aug 6-7 in Telluride.

Never played in any of these areas before (except Base Camp) & would love some suggestions. Obviously Beaver Ranch & Phantom Falls are no-brainers. Wooded, mountainous, and challenging courses are preferred. We are also very well-suited for camping/backpacking & would love some nearby suggestions for that as well.

Also, anyone who would like to toss a round with us, we'd love a guide. We'd treat you to local Austin flavors :)

Appreciate the help :hfive:

Resirvoir Hill is great. Beaver Ranch is great, if a little over-rated (it is no Houck design). I havn't played any others in Colorado. Pagosa had a renegade basket/object course before RH but I'm betting the few baskets are gone now. It wasn't near as good a course as RH anyway.

Non-discin' the Silverton ghost town is cool and near Durango. The downside is you will probably spend more time in transit than you will exploring the old houses.

Close to Taos you NEED to visit Sipapu. Free to play ski hill course that you will not forget. Also while in the area try your hardest to get an invite to play the private course in (near) Lindrith, NM (not too far from Cuba). You need to contact one of the Galloway brothers based out of Albq. Sorry but I don't have a contact# anymore (phone change without saving old contacts). Check with any of the locals you meet in NM and see if they can hook you up. You will def. enjoy their masterpiece, and they'll probably let you camp on sight as well. If you're really lucky, you'll time it right to play in their monthly.

Southern NM and EP are course poor. Zenith Park in Cloudcroft is not worthy of a destination trip IMO, but south of there in Weed, NM there is a very wooded course at a Girl Scout Camp (Camp of the Tall Pines). Album Park in EP was great when I was growing up playing baseball, but the DG is disappointing.

I'd second Sipapu, but I assume you are allready in Colorado, I also don't know if it would have been easy to get to from Taos.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Funny that 2 fellow Texans are the ones w/ all the pointers :). Got to play half of Sipapu a year ago w/ the lady & it was fantastic. We played Two Gray Hares this trek up & it was a pretty neat little course. We plan to hit Sipapu again on our way back down thru this trip.

I've always wanted to play that Weed course. My GF has family in both Cloudcroft & Taos. Hopefully this trip. Also, was thinking maybe the couple who owns Two Gray Hares might know the contact info for that course in Lindrith. Sounds awesome.

Thanks again guys :hfive:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Funny that 2 fellow Texans are the ones w/ all the pointers :). Got to play half of Sipapu a year ago w/ the lady & it was fantastic. We played Two Gray Hares this trek up & it was a pretty neat little course. We plan to hit Sipapu again on our way back down thru this trip.

I've always wanted to play that Weed course. My GF has family in both Cloudcroft & Taos. Hopefully this trip. Also, was thinking maybe the couple who owns Two Gray Hares might know the contact info for that course in Lindrith. Sounds awesome.

I could be wrong but I hear the weed course is hard to navigate...

enjoy the jazz fest! that's by far my favorite town in the US, it's just too bad there isn't a lot of DG around there

Bill & Sue Leslie at 2GH know both Galloway brothers (Nye and Carey). I'd bet they have their phone #'s. It's a pretty good trek form 2GH (travel the High Road from Taos, cross the river, then around the Jemez Mts. - at least 2 hrs) but most certainly worth it, especially if you're camping out there. One of the coolest places to play DG I've EVER been. Hopefully you'll get the chance to visit. If you do, go prepared because once you're there, civilization will lose track of you:thmbup:.

Latest posts