• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paige Pierce #29190

Nope and nope.

If the question is posed as a universal, I'd agree. But the TD's letter that's been shared explicitly states (in addition to the posted club regs) that the course was closed to disc golfers on Monday. Paige is razor sharp and there's zero chance she wasn't aware of both prohibitions.

You're right that it's not unsportsmanlike as a universal truth to practice outside of the event structure, but I'd be willing to make an exception here when Paige knew full well that she and her competitors were not allowed.

Just to add context to the argument that Paige was trying to gain access before competitors were allowed: this is a fallacy. ECC allows disc golf throughout the year, and access to the course isn't limited to the week or so before the event. Players can come play the course at any time during the week throughout the year provided they are playing during the allowed club schedule and honor the rules of the site.

https://www.emporiacc.org/disc-golf

^ Perhaps the most enlightening post regarding this overblown issue. She might simply have innocently thought, "Course is on to the public on the regular. Might as well get a practice round in." Turns out that only wrong on Mondays, or maybe this specific instance, or something like that.

I hope, that in Paige's mind, this isnt remotely the big deal some have made it out to be. I imagine it could be hard to focus on your game during the event with all this crap looming around in the back of your head.

Obviously, being able to compartmentalize and
mastering the mental side of the game, is part of the game. But I can see why many professional athletes try to avoid social media and other outlets where the public and/or media can comment/speculate about them outside the context of an interview or other method where they actually said/done something that was intended for public consumption.

That's the thing about "greatness." Once you reach the top of the mountain, there's no shortage of people who want to see you come tumbling down.

Last edited:
Anyone watch Fierce?

In the midst of our speculating about Paige's character I'd be curious what sense people get of her from her own PR tools.

^ Perhaps the most enlightening post regarding this overblown issue. She might simply have innocently thought, "Course is on to the public on the regular. Might as well get a practice round in." Turns out that only wrong on Mondays, or maybe this specific instance, or something like that.

it seems that some are acting like Paige would've needed to go above and beyond to figure out whether or not the course was available for her to play. This is clearly not the case. 5 minutes on the internet would have given her every necessary answer. If she's too busy, maybe she can have her agent or social media coordinator look into this information for future events.

However, ECC is closed to disc golfers on Mondays, which is clearly indicated on the venue's website. As Pierce was throwing some initial tee shots for practice, "a younger man approached [them] and said, 'Hey, I think the course is closed,'" according to Perkins. Mondays are reserved for members of the Country Club, they were told; Pierce, who did not know the course was closed on Monday, asked about the possibility of becoming a member in order to be able to play. She said that there must be some kind of misunderstanding since the World Championships were beginning the following week.

The facility, though, was not yet rented out for the tournament. A confirmation packet sent to players by the Worlds TD Doug Bjerkaas in late July read, "The Emporia Country Club and the Supreme-18 DGC at Jones Park are open for practice before Pro Worlds from dawn to dusk without charge, starting on Friday, August 26th, 2022. The Supreme 18 DGC at Jones Park is in a public park and can be practiced between dawn and dusk on days before August 26th unless another event is planned on site. The Emporia Country Club is a private facility and is pay-to-play. If players want to practice the course before August 26th, they need to check the disc golf course schedule and pay the greens fee to play. More info on the Country Club disc golf schedule can be found here."

1) I tend to be speculative in my speculation.

2) Not sure if I think Paige deserves to be flogged with passion, or flogged with a Passion.

3) I just want to see Kristin and Paige show all of us the very best they've got got this week. They do that, and we're in for a treat! ;)

Flogged with https://www.totalwine.com/dynamic/490x/media/sys_master/twmmedia/hcc/h92/11310845296670.png

I normally can't bring myself to watch women's sports but DG seems to be the exception. I actually look forward to watching FPO. Regardless of their off-course whatevers I also look forward to seeing what unfolds.

The entitlement is strong in the disc golf tournament player community. Until the volunteers (tourney helpers and course maintenance workers) take a stand and quit working for free, this behavior from tournament players will continue.

If the question is posed as a universal, I'd agree. But the TD's letter that's been shared explicitly states (in addition to the posted club regs) that the course was closed to disc golfers on Monday. Paige is razor sharp and there's zero chance she wasn't aware of both prohibitions.

You're right that it's not unsportsmanlike as a universal truth to practice outside of the event structure, but I'd be willing to make an exception here when Paige knew full well that she and her competitors were not allowed.

So you know Paige personally then?

The entitlement is strong in the disc golf tournament player community. Until the volunteers (tourney helpers and course maintenance workers) take a stand and quit working for free, this behavior from tournament players will continue.

lol...If the people working the events start getting paid that behavior will only get worse. The expectations will increase with paid staff.

Let's all just take a breath. Here's my take on it. Paige is chomping at the bit for this tournament, winning one more time means an awful lot to her and she can hardly wait to get started.

I seriously doubt that any of her top competitors are upset about what happened and I hope that Paige can wash it out of her mind as well.

I'm looking forward to a good Worlds tournament.:thmbup:

You seriously believe this? Haven't you seen the videos of Karens calling the cops over birdwatching or selling bottled water?

I'm not saying Paige did or didn't do anything worthy of needing the popo, but I think calling the cops reflects as much on the caller as the situation.

DO you seriously believe every PC puff piece her management put out? Of course the press release is going to paint a pretty picture.

You actually have the gall to insinuate those other horrible situations compare to Paige's?

HA

SO.
MUCH.
SPECULATION.

It doesn't take speculation to realize that Paige made an error thinking the course wasn't closed to her. Sure she may have argued the point, but I still wouldn't call that bad behavior. Just a misunderstanding that maybe she could have handled better.

It doesn't take speculation to realize that Paige made an error thinking the course wasn't closed to her. Sure she may have argued the point, but I still wouldn't call that bad behavior. Just a misunderstanding that maybe she could have handled better.

you like to spin things to make asshats look like victims. Odd.

you like to spin things to make asshats look like victims. Odd.

Why do you assume Paige is the asshat? Just because she was there? Perhaps the employee of the country club wasn't exactly polite, turning a little misunderstanding into an argument?

It is a nothing burger, no matter what actually happened. The fact that you guys get so keyed up about something like this shows that YOU are much more of the problem.

Interesting situation...
Not sure what happened. The facts seem to indicate Paige was trying to gain access when (she should've known) she wasn't supposed to be there.

I don't mind her attempting to buy membership to gain access. At least she's trying to support the entity she's asking for good will... I would be surprised if the (alleged) colorful language and gesture were used. PP seems a little entitled, but not crude.

Either way, I'm not sure her poor manners are grounds for any sort of sanctioned punishment...

Presumably a private club can allow anyone on their course whenever they want. The course is not generally open to the public on Mondays, but that doesn't mean you can't ask whether they will let you play. If a member says "Sure, you can go out. Here are the keys to a cart" it doesn't seem out of line to believe that this is something they are allowed to do. I don't think that anyone is disputing that she was given keys to a cart.

That doesn't mean Paige didn't do something out of line afterwards, but the idea that it isn't OK to ask if you can play seems off base to me. That's true whether or not Paige payed attention or was ware that the course was normally closed on Monday.

I can't claim to know Paige well. I've hung out with her dad and their friends. Talked with her at a party or two. Shared a camping spot one event. Played on her card at a couple of tournaments. And this was years ago. I'm not sure she'd remember me at this point.

So I can't claim deep knowledge of her character and personality, but there's one trait that really sticks out. And that's why I'm sure that none of this stuff is affecting her at all. Her mental toughness is over 9000.

Latest posts