• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pants for summer? Need suggestions

The_IRA

Long story short: moved from CA to NY where ticks, mosquitoes, and getting scratched up from running around in OB zones are more of a problem. Need some protection.

I was thinking of getting a loose athletic pants that didnt get too hot during the summer. Im going to be buying some Off Deep Woods (Dry) bug spray, but shorts I'll still have my legs exposed. I could also just use shorts with long socks or get some athletic tights.

Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Getting a little warm is a small price to pay for leg protection.

Agreed. I went with canvas style pants. Most brands have an option for this. Shorts with long socks are fine for things like itch weed but thorns and mosquitoes still get through. Two weeks ago I had shorts with long socks and then used absorbing junior and was eaten alive. Last week I went with pants and Off spray and was fine no bites and itching.

^ canvas. On all but the hottest days I play in double front Carhartt's. Bombproof and bug proof. But most folks like something lighter.

^ canvas. On all but the hottest days I play in double front Carhartt's. Bombproof and bug proof. But most folks like something lighter.

I went to the link you posted those look nice. I might have to order a pair to try. I don't know about other states but it just feels like its going to be a bad year for bugs this summer in good old Iowa.

Look into REI's convertible pants. I got them for hiking, but find them great for disc golf. They can convert from long pants to shorts, so depending on the course (or how well you're throwing) you can decide whether to go long or short. These pants dry in a flash, so if you get caught in a shower or find yourself in a water hazard, you'll dry out in no time.

Chuck-Norris-Jeans.jpg

I used soccer socks with shorts when I lived back east. They would come up to my knee. Plus I could douse them with OFF and not worry about ruining something expensive. I think you can get the socks for like 8$ a pair. Get lots of diff colors and be the most stylish guy on the course. Also, a lot of brands have the very breathable material, so you stay cool.

Although, the action jeans from the post above are very tempting

Last edited:
Once summer rolls around, you won't catch me dead in pants. **** that noise.

I go with cargo shorts, thick tall wool socks for leg protection, and 30% DEET spray (or 99% if things are really ugly).

As for thorns, I just tough it out. Gives me incentive not to throw where there the thorns are hangin'.

I prefer the shorts and tall socks method for spotting ticks over wearing pants. Seems like when I wear pants the lil' bastards get on me and I find them much later. Shorts I'm on instant-alert the second one hits my legs from the socks or shorts. DEET down your legs, socks and shoes and you should be fine for the most part.

Edit: I have used a cheap pair of convertible-style pants/shorts with the lower leg zipping off to become shorts. They work okay. Don't skimp on a cheap pair though, you want something that will stand up to being beat up a bit...my pair fell apart after less than a year of abuse.

I live in Minnesota, mosquito is the state bird here, the best deterrent is body hair, they get ensnared in my manly ghille suit of body hair before they can even bite me. A classic pink Speedo works well as disc golf pants for me, but I reiterate, I am all that is man.

I picked up a couple pairs of North Face convertible lightweight hiking pants. I only wear them for the thicker, woodsier courses. That said, I've been wearing them for several years and they've held up pretty well considering.

Found both at outlet style shops for <$30 each.

Once summer rolls around, you won't catch me dead in pants. **** that noise.

I go with cargo shorts, thick tall wool socks for leg protection, and 30% DEET spray (or 99% if things are really ugly).

As for thorns, I just tough it out. Gives me incentive not to throw where there the thorns are hangin'.

I prefer the shorts and tall socks method for spotting ticks over wearing pants. Seems like when I wear pants the lil' bastards get on me and I find them much later. Shorts I'm on instant-alert the second one hits my legs from the socks or shorts. DEET down your legs, socks and shoes and you should be fine for the most part.

Edit: I have used a cheap pair of convertible-style pants/shorts with the lower leg zipping off to become shorts. They work okay. Don't skimp on a cheap pair though, you want something that will stand up to being beat up a bit...my pair fell apart after less than a year of abuse.

I live in Juke's world. :thmbup::thmbup:
.....wait.....that might not be a good thing? :p:|:p

Latest posts