• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PANTS or NO PANTS (Shorts)

Pants OR No Pants (Shorts)

• Pants

Votes: 45 23.6%
  • No Pants (Shorts)

Votes: 146 76.4%

• Total voters
I dont get poison ivy so I dont have to worry about that.:thmbup:

I wear REI Sahara convertible pants (Does that mean I can vote 2wice?). They are lightweight, so as to not be hot and I can zip them off if need be in case I have a disc land in knee-high water but that rarely happens. They hold up really well and they keep the thorns/briars as well as mosquitoes at bay. They are UPF 50+ rated and they dry QUICK if they get wet.

For those of you that wear heavier pants and are looking for a better option, I would suggest looking into these. Trust me: you will thank me later. They seem a tad pricey in my opinion but they are WELL worth it. I own several pair, and the ones in the khaki color are the best for those midday hot summer rounds. The darker ones tend to be a touch hotter.

I have started wearing pants at the course I play because I am sick of ticks, poison ivy, and getting my legs torn up by the sharp stuff. Where I am at it doesn't matter if you stay in the fairway! There are two local courses where I will wear shorts but that's about it.

I dont get poison ivy so I dont have to worry about that.:thmbup:

I wear REI Sahara convertible pants (Does that mean I can vote 2wice?). They are lightweight, so as to not be hot and I can zip them off if need be in case I have a disc land in knee-high water but that rarely happens. They hold up really well and they keep the thorns/briars as well as mosquitoes at bay. They are UPF 50+ rated and they dry QUICK if they get wet.

For those of you that wear heavier pants and are looking for a better option, I would suggest looking into these. Trust me: you will thank me later. They seem a tad pricey in my opinion but they are WELL worth it. I own several pair, and the ones in the khaki color are the best for those midday hot summer rounds. The darker ones tend to be a touch hotter.

But are they stylish? :)

thanks for that input... I had totally forgotten about convertible pants :)
but... no... you may not vote twice :D

But are they stylish? :)

You are playing discgolf. This isnt the catwalk.:|

Just do yourself a favor and get some of these. If you are worried about ticks, spray the pants with some DW Off. Problemed solved. I havnt been bitten by skeeters in the legs SINCE I have been wearing these, and that's been about 8 years.

Last edited:
usually shorts and long socks at my local courses, but if I'm hitting the wooded courses or somewhere I know has poison oak/sumac (thankful for my ivy immunity) I have a couple pairs like these, as mentioned by Stink.
54399.jpg

as a bonus, mine are treated with bug-repellent, so double win. no hotter than I would be in shorts, as they are super lightweight. The brand is White Sierra, half the price of ExOfficio/REI/North Face and have held up very well.

Has anyone tried compression pants with shorts? I wonder if that would help with poison ivy and tick resistance while remaining breathable and light. They are much cheaper as well ($8-20)

You are playing discgolf. This isnt the catwalk.:|

Wait? you mean you don't play disc golf to look good and get women??? :confused:

Convertible pants seem to be getting some love here... who's got other brands that work for them???

possibly stylish ones??? :D

Last edited:
Convertable pants help with the little thorns but they aren't heavy enough to make a difference with real thorns. And unless your sealing the pants legs, they aren't a 100% preventative.

So I wear shorts in the summer and do alcohol wipes for the poison ivy, step carefully in the brush for thorns. and let my wife check me for ticks - :) :thmbup:

Short with long socks.

Totally depends on the course, but in the midwest summer heat the rough almost has to be completely composed of thorns or 3ft+ tall grass for me to wear pants.

I usually just say to throw on some shorts, take your vitamin B and get yourself some tick spray. Gold.

However, if you must be wearing pants in the summer and want to keep it classy, UnderArmour has an entire line of golf pants that look like slacks but are made to be worn on the golf course in the summer. I wear mine to the office sometimes. Very comfortable. Pretty cool (temp wise).

..they aren't 100% preventative...

Neither are condoms. :|

Let's just say these convertibles (when also having applied Off to them) are extremely effective in preventing ticks and skeeters. If you are still feeling uneasy about parasites, spray your socks as well.

Either that or just never go outside and you wont have to worry about it.

Shorts, I'll take the cuts, bug bites, itch weed and poison ivy over being really hot. Most courses around here are not too rough though.

Tall socks (soccer style) with shorts: best of both worlds for me. The coolness of shorts with the protection of pants:)

Convertable pants help with the little thorns but they aren't heavy enough to make a difference with real thorns. And unless your sealing the pants legs, they aren't a 100% preventative.

So I wear shorts in the summer and do alcohol wipes for the poison ivy, step carefully in the brush for thorns. and let my wife check me for ticks - :) :thmbup:

I am not positve that alcohol breaks down oil. I am sure there is an effectivness to the method, though I tend to believe the mechanical scrub that is used is what creates the relief. A detergent would be one of the best agents to break down an oil. Not knocking the idea, just not sure if it is based in theory or practice. Maybe someone here knows the answer to this. I usually go with a some Dawn dish washing liquid and a good scrub after a round in which I am pretty sure I have been in the ivy. Shorts all summer.

I'm a transplanted Yankee living in NC I wear shorts pretty much year around. My job allows me to where shorts as well so about the only time I where long pants is for Sunday worship services. I'm not sure how the older folks would react if one of their Deacons showed up to service in cargo shorts. LOL.

I am not positve that alcohol breaks down oil. I am sure there is an effectivness to the method, though I tend to believe the mechanical scrub that is used is what creates the relief. A detergent would be one of the best agents to break down an oil. Not knocking the idea, just not sure if it is based in theory or practice. Maybe someone here knows the answer to this. I usually go with a some Dawn dish washing liquid and a good scrub after a round in which I am pretty sure I have been in the ivy. Shorts all summer.

Interestingly here's what I found on one site:

If you are exposed, according to the FDA, you should quickly (within 10 minutes):
•first, cleanse exposed areas with rubbing alcohol.
•next, wash the exposed areas with water only (no soap yet, since soap can move the urushiol, which is the oil from the poison ivy that triggers the rash, around your body and actually make the reaction worse).
•now, take a shower with soap and warm water.
•lastly, put gloves on and wipe everything you had with you, including shoes, tools, and your clothes, with rubbing alcohol and water.

So soap may not be best way to start. But waiting till after the round may be too late. Wipe as soon you think you've come in contact.

Careful-- it still COULD one day. specially as we get older and the more you are exposed to it. There is no such thing as a actual poison ivy tolerance.

My reaction has been getting less and less the older I get. I was hospitalized a few times as a kid from getting the stuff so bad. Now I get it very rarely and it only lasts a few days when I do get it.

I am still super careful about the stuff though, I havent got it at all yet this year (knock on wood)

I'm moderately amused that this has turned into the Poison Ivy thread...

... I got it so badly as a kid on my shins I no longer get it there... it's that pesky behind the ankle niche... but whatever's clever... once it's there you have a few options... and they make some expensive oil absorbing scrubs... but honestly... if the ivy rears it's ugly head, just go to your local salt water beach if you have one and hang out in the water for a few hours whilst the salt does it's job... you'll thank me later

SO... to SUM UP...

Convertible Pants or Socks with Shorts if you're concerned but want to stay classy

and poison ivy sucks and we've all got different ways of fighting it

and there... is... a decent discussion... happy to see anyone add anything else... thanks for the thoughts and I'm off to buy me some white sierra convertibles :)

Shorts and high socks - I'm not allergic to poison ivy; problems solved. The socks fight thorns and make a great pair of leg protectors when you end up chucking a beloved disc into your local course lake - losing your socks will discourage you from throwing discs into said lake.

Last edited: