• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth: 1050

Ricky and Paul are always SOLID golfers in most videos I've seen of them in tournament play. But not to get off the OP but where is the love for Simon Lizotte? Saw some rounds of his tourny footage and oh lawd he can hang with the big boys! Believe it was Texas championships or GBO where he was just birdie, after birdie, after birdie.

Ricky and Paul are always SOLID golfers in most videos I've seen of them in tournament play. But not to get off the OP but where is the love for Simon Lizotte? Saw some rounds of his tourny footage and oh lawd he can hang with the big boys! Believe it was Texas championships or GBO where he was just birdie, after birdie, after birdie.

When on fire Simon can definitely hang with them and beat em, but he hasn't shown the week over week consistency of Paul & Ricky.

When on fire Simon can definitely hang with them and beat em, but he hasn't shown the week over week consistency of Paul & Ricky.

I'm sure you are right. I just saw a few tournaments when he was playing Paul, Ricky, Jerm, and others and was like dang, this dude has some game!!!!

It's hard to imagine anyone beating McBeth over the number of rounds involved in World's. Ricky and Simon have the best chance because they have the complete FH, BH, and putting games. I think McBeth's putting and mental game is on a different level though. Ricky misses some short putts low that Paul just doesn't.

I do think that the company switch has affected the results for the Prodigy guys over the last 2 years. Ricky might have have won Worlds if he was still with Innova. It's hard to change everything. Especially putters. I hope he at least made more money.

Watching McBeth putt almost makes me upset. I don't physically understand how it works and how he can so consistently reproduce it.
I was going to say I think the switch affected Ricky as well as Will. Ricky was on fire right as he switched and was the first player to ever hit 1048. I think Ricky was also throwing Innova in the Japan Open because Prodigy doesn't have 150 class discs, so that was interesting how well he did going back to familiar molds. It's hard to read too much into the JO though because nobody is really throwing their regular discs there.

At any rate it's pretty crazy how good McBeth and Wysocki are as well as Will and Simon. I see many Jurassic battles in the future.

True dat. Simon is a freak and it is awesome. Love watching that guy play. It's obvious sometimes that he doesn't have the mental experience like Paul and everybody. And by that I just mean he tries for some awful low percentage shots sometimes. But give him a couple years and he'll be unstoppable.

His upshots are what sets him apart in my opinion. I've never seen anyone that puts it under the basket.
This. Whenever I watch PMcB videos he is always shooting straight at the basket and often gets right near it. Even on a huge drive he is still consistently near the basket. Then of course he hits 50 footers like they're nothing, and he's just consistent and good.

I can't wait for the Memorial this year! :thmbup:

I think that Simon, Paul and Ricky should form a band and call it You'll Never Be This Good.

Simon is my favorite player on tour this year, hope the kid slays it the rest of the year. If MJ ever goes on tour, my favorite player would change :)

Place Name PDGA# Rating Par Rd1 Rd2 Rd3 Finals

Paul McBeth 27523 1049 -18 55 988 47 1073 45 1063 24 1060 171
Ron Convers 9648 1010 -12 50 1035 51 1037 49 1024 27 1005 177
Kody Custard 30548 1003 -9 47 1062 56 992 53 985 24 1060 180
Jared Pennin 27227 -3 55 988 49 1055 52 995 30 951 186
Steve Hatcher 39721 998 -5 52 1016 56 992 49 1024 157

Did anyone see his tournament here in Norman for the Cleveland County Classic this past weekend. Look at those round ratings. :eek:

round 1: 988
round 2: 1073
round 3: 1063
MPO Final Round: 1060

Crazy....

I was going to say I think the switch affected Ricky as well as Will. Ricky was on fire right as he switched and was the first player to ever hit 1048. I think Ricky was also throwing Innova in the Japan Open because Prodigy doesn't have 150 class discs, so that was interesting how well he did going back to familiar molds. It's hard to read too much into the JO though because nobody is really throwing their regular discs there.

At any rate it's pretty crazy how good McBeth and Wysocki are as well as Will and Simon. I see many Jurassic battles in the future.

They do have 150 class

They do have 150 class
Shows how much I care about Prodigy discs, doesn't look like they have much in 150. I believe the Prodigy players were allowed to use mixed bags for the Japan Open though.

Can't play that game. Paul McBeth got a penalty for 2-meter rule in the first round, everyone has bad luck.

You could also then argue that Paul should have won the Japan Open. He had 3 putts in that final round hit the basket and then roll OB, while Ricky had a forehand skip out of a bunker.

Didn't Paul actually get 2 2-meter rules / penalties on the same hole, same round? I might be wrong, but I thought he did.

One of the things I noticed about Paul is when he screws up, etc., he gets this quiet pissed off mode and rips into it. Other pros get a loud pissed off mode and explode. Some start complaining and don't take responsibility for their bad shot (which is still 100 gujillion times better than me). And others, get this quiet dejected mode and just kind of...not quit...but stop pressing forward.

I find that to be amazing.

Place Name PDGA# Rating Par Rd1 Rd2 Rd3 Finals

Paul McBeth 27523 1049 -18 55 988 47 1073 45 1063 24 1060 171
Ron Convers 9648 1010 -12 50 1035 51 1037 49 1024 27 1005 177
Kody Custard 30548 1003 -9 47 1062 56 992 53 985 24 1060 180
Jared Pennin 27227 -3 55 988 49 1055 52 995 30 951 186
Steve Hatcher 39721 998 -5 52 1016 56 992 49 1024 157

Did anyone see his tournament here in Norman for the Cleveland County Classic this past weekend. Look at those round ratings. :eek:

round 1: 988
round 2: 1073
round 3: 1063
MPO Final Round: 1060

Crazy....

Yeah, i played this tourney and watched the Final 9. Jared Pennin made about a 70 foot bogey-saving jump putt from essentially inside about 4 trees through a small gap. It was a really salty putt.

Biggest thing i took from watching Paul throw again was there really isn't an audible "snap" that everyone always likes to hear. It sounded more like a dull "thud" when he threw hard. It's hard to explain. Paul threw, either a PD or an FD on an absolute lazer beam of a line with a 25mph left-to-right wind into a tree-line that was probably 480 feet away. It was impressive.

Paul is an awesome disc golfer and i also enjoy the fact that he posts here on the forums. Go Paul!

They do have 150 class

Shows how much I care about Prodigy discs, doesn't look like they have much in 150. I believe the Prodigy players were allowed to use mixed bags for the Japan Open though.

What does this say about Prodigy Discs?
I have always remained firm in the belief that going to Prodigy has affected Ricky's game more than has been advertised. He and Will were on fire before he went to Prodigy and has not really performed up to his promise over the last year or so. Now we find out that he won the Japan Open with mostly Innova (150-class) discs.
Meanwhile, last year we saw McBeth win, win, win and get a disc line (McPro) named after him.
I think that the Ricky is finally getting used to the discs and is beginning to challenge again. It will be interesting to see how the remainder of the year plays out.
Me, I'm still putting my money on PM.

Yeah, i played this tourney and watched the Final 9. Jared Pennin made about a 70 foot bogey-saving jump putt from essentially inside about 4 trees through a small gap. It was a really salty putt.

Biggest thing i took from watching Paul throw again was there really isn't an audible "snap" that everyone always likes to hear. It sounded more like a dull "thud" when he threw hard. It's hard to explain. Paul threw, either a PD or an FD on an absolute lazer beam of a line with a 25mph left-to-right wind into a tree-line that was probably 480 feet away. It was impressive.

Ah, hole 4 at Noble? I've put it into that treeline a few times, but never with any consistency. Normally I'm about 30' short or so. To put it on a line with that wind is just nuts...

That putt has been talked about quite a bit around Norman. A few guys were calling it a foot fault, but either way, that's a beast of a putt. Falling or not... People are always looking for a reason to mitigate the greatness of a shot in order to feel like it wasn't accomplished with greater skill, rather it relied on cheating. :gross: 70' through trees is impressive if you had a 15' run up after your lie before releasing. lol

Give Simon a little longer to settle into the touring life (this is his first year) and he'll be just as good, if not beyond McBeth and Wysocki. Simon has a complete game, can throw much further than either of them, and is IMO the best putter in the world. He also seems to really enjoy the game and has a stable mentality on the course (from watching videos). Simon will win Worlds soon, just watch.

Give Simon a little longer to settle into the touring life (this is his first year) and he'll be just as good, if not beyond McBeth and Wysocki. Simon has a complete game, can throw much further than either of them, and is IMO the best putter in the world. He also seems to really enjoy the game and has a stable mentality on the course (from watching videos). Simon will win Worlds soon, just watch.

Yeah, he makes me laugh out loud watching some of his tourney footage... and it's not just the booming distance he attains so effortlessly, or his nonchalant putts from everywhere and anywhere, it's his demeanor and that smile that is perpetually plastered across his face... Definitely a favorite to follow... but he's going to have to go through McBeth, and contend with Wysocki and a whole host of other pros if he wants to be Champ. I can't wait for the next NT!

What does this say about Prodigy Discs?
I have always remained firm in the belief that going to Prodigy has affected Ricky's game more than has been advertised. He and Will were on fire before he went to Prodigy and has not really performed up to his promise over the last year or so. Now we find out that he won the Japan Open with mostly Innova (150-class) discs.
Meanwhile, last year we saw McBeth win, win, win and get a disc line (McPro) named after him.
I think that the Ricky is finally getting used to the discs and is beginning to challenge again. It will be interesting to see how the remainder of the year plays out.
Me, I'm still putting my money on PM.

I too won't bet against McBeth, but the obvious hole in your argument is that while Ricky may or may not have used Innova discs to win the Japan Open, McBeth definitely did(who finished third). Which leads me to believe that if McBeth HAD switched over to Prodigy there'd be those that would rail against him purely for the fact that they don't happen to like Prodigy.

It took Prodigy forever to come out with a beaded puter ala KC Aviar. They just did like a month ago so I think you'll see Ricky's game pick up quite a bit. Not sure if Will putted BBs...

It took Prodigy forever to come out with a beaded puter ala KC Aviar. They just did like a month ago so I think you'll see Ricky's game pick up quite a bit. Not sure if Will putted BBs...

I don't know what's wrong with Will, or if anything is, but for whatever reason this hasn't been his year(or even close). But unless your name is McBeth, Wysocki or Lizotte, it hasn't been your year either.

Latest posts