• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth: 1050

I don't know what's wrong with Will, or if anything is, but for whatever reason this hasn't been his year.

His putting has been pretty shaky. It might be a mental thing. I really hope he pulls through, because he needs to win Worlds one of these days. Maybe this is his year!

His putting has been pretty shaky. It might be a mental thing. I really hope he pulls through, because he needs to win Worlds one of these days. Maybe this is his year!

crap putters. Prodigy makes good throwing putters, but no good putting putters. I played in a tourney with a 1030+ prodigy pro who posted back to back 960s rounds, then shredded the course in the final round using the judge to putt. putting is also how Mcbeth got the 1050 rating.

I have a very hard time believing that it's the discs holding him back. Prodigy putters should be just as good inside the circle as any other brand. And outside of the cirlce, I've seen him throw many awesome shots those same putters. It's just something he has to shake.

Your antidotal evidence and descriptive critique aside, I very much doubt Will poor play is due to any one thing, but especially not a disc, and I find it humorous (among other things) when people blame the plastic for anything and everything.

What does this say about Prodigy Discs?
I have always remained firm in the belief that going to Prodigy has affected Ricky's game more than has been advertised. He and Will were on fire before he went to Prodigy and has not really performed up to his promise over the last year or so. Now we find out that he won the Japan Open with mostly Innova (150-class) discs.
Meanwhile, last year we saw McBeth win, win, win and get a disc line (McPro) named after him.
I think that the Ricky is finally getting used to the discs and is beginning to challenge again. It will be interesting to see how the remainder of the year plays out.
Me, I'm still putting my money on PM.

It would be so thrilling to see Ricky and Paul tied going into the final 9 at worlds with Simon a stroke back. Anyone know where the final 9 is. Trojan please?

Edit: Looks like it's at blue lake. Feldberg designed. Interesting.

What's more is, it's my estimation that McBeth "got the 1050 rating" by having, not only an incredible all around game, but being incredibly mentally tough... incredibly "clutch".

I misread the worlds schedule. Looks like final 9 is at Milo West. I really can't think of any kind of course that favors any of these guys over each other though. I guess if it is tight and long Ricky with the sidearm but they can all carve any course.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if it is the discs or plastic. How many different putters/plastic have most people gone through to find the one that feels right? You need to build confidence with your putter and get to know the little nuances of the disc and that takes time, especially after switching after how many millions of putts they did with their last brand. It's like getting a new girlfriend and expecting her to behave the same as the old one.

Ah, hole 4 at Noble? I've put it into that treeline a few times, but never with any consistency. Normally I'm about 30' short or so. To put it on a line with that wind is just nuts...

That putt has been talked about quite a bit around Norman. A few guys were calling it a foot fault, but either way, that's a beast of a putt. Falling or not... People are always looking for a reason to mitigate the greatness of a shot in order to feel like it wasn't accomplished with greater skill, rather it relied on cheating. :gross: 70' through trees is impressive if you had a 15' run up after your lie before releasing. lol

I believe they were talking about Kody Custards putt as a foot fault on hole 10. Which when we reviewed it in slo-mo for fun it was a foot fault. The guy did it on hole 8, he was in that grouping of crap about 50 feet short and right of the basket if you're looking through the opening.

Since you know noble. Paul made hole 3 look like an absolute joke with a FH spike hyzer, hah.

I believe they were talking about Kody Custards putt as a foot fault on hole 10. Which when we reviewed it in slo-mo for fun it was a foot fault. The guy did it on hole 8, he was in that grouping of crap about 50 feet short and right of the basket if you're looking through the opening.

Since you know noble. Paul made hole 3 look like an absolute joke with a FH spike hyzer, hah.

Wow, and 3 is usually facing a pretty stiff headwind and I remember it being fairly windy that day. I normally go for a big turnover up high on the left gap with a seasoned pro Valk and it works nicely about half the time; other times it leaks out early or grabs too much anny and goes long, long outside of the thick red cedars. No good... To FH Spike that blows my mind. Impressive.

Hole 8 can get pretty funky, too, especially the right side of the hole. It's much better to fade out left than to get in behind that heavy brush on the right. I know exactly where you're talking about. It's almost impossible to get a clean look at the basket from anywhere behind that stacking of cedars, especially because the basket is going up slightly in elevation. There's just not enough height from underneath those trees to get a look. I would have liked to see how he got out of there clean, let alone burying it in the chains.

Heck, that section of 7, 8, 9, and 10 can all get brutal if you get even 3' off the fairway. Noble is always a hot or cold course for me. I either shoot 8 up, or I shoot 3ish down, but rarely anywhere in between. I just can't seem to get any par-shooting consistency there, but that being said I absolutely love the course.... whenever the poison ivy isn't thick as molasses.:hfive:

Last edited:
Necrobump because this is again relevant. Not only is he tearing up pretty much every tournament he enters, he ties his own mark set for the highest PDGA rating ever. Wonder if he'll get 1051 this time.

Shows how much I care about Prodigy discs, doesn't look like they have much in 150. I believe the Prodigy players were allowed to use mixed bags for the Japan Open though.

I don't believe they had a full line of 150 discs during the Japan Open. Or at least, not as many discs in that class as they do now with the RX and Air plastics.

I think that the Ricky is finally getting used to the discs and is beginning to challenge again.

"finally" get used to them? didn't he just switch to Trilogy in January?

I don't know what's wrong with Will, or if anything is, but for whatever reason this hasn't been his year(or even close). But unless your name is McBeth, Wysocki or Lizotte, it hasn't been your year either.

Will has won 3 A-Tiers and hasn't finished worse than 6th at any event this year. He's finished tied or better with Ricky in the NTs. I think he's playing really well actually.

_dj_, you're quoting posts from 2014 keep that in mind. Not a lot of Prodigy Air out back then, Ricky "finally getting used to" Prodigy discs, and Will wasn't doing too hot last year.

_dj_, you're quoting posts from 2014 keep that in mind. Not a lot of Prodigy Air out back then, Ricky "finally getting used to" Prodigy discs, and Will wasn't doing too hot last year.

yup... just noticed that once i got to page 2 and the "necrobump" :wall:

Nice necro. It is a bit different this year. Paul gets a lot of competition out there, but he is just amazing at pulling out tournament victories, which makes him distinctly the best disc golfer in the world right now.

He's actually putted pretty well by his standards this year. Not as good as Paul, for sure, but outside of the memorial he's been very solid on the green

It's definitely improved lately; you're absolutely right. It's still not great though.