• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth on Track for Record $$ Won

The season has just started and some big time paying events coming up.
Pro Worlds $5000?
Maple Hill $2,500?
KC Wide Open $2,500?
USDGC $8,000?
Ledgestone $6,600?
Steady Ed Masters Cup $2,500?
Beaver State Fling $3,500?

If you add up that total, it comes to 30,600, and would put his 2015 total over $50,000. But he'd have to win first in all of them. How many additional tournaments will Paul likely play in this year?

If you add up that total, it comes to 30,600, and would put his 2015 total over $50,000. But he'd have to win first in all of them. How many additional tournaments will Paul likely play in this year?

He won $1,600 last year at the BHMO. It's the week after World's so I expect he'll play again this year. Of course, it's not an NT this year, but it's a good bet he'll add to his winnings in some fashion.

He played 25 last year and has played 10 so far this year. With the Australian Open being in January/February, it opens up the schedule for a few more tournaments. That's in comparison with the Japan Open which was at the beginning of June in 2014.

DG seems to be like Professional Surfing in the early 80's except for the international touring pros and money. In the early 80's when Professional Surfing was struggling, guys were winning cash + cars at what would be similar to A tiers and Majors in DG.

Apples and oranges. In the 80s the surfwear industry began its explosion and became (for the most part) the driving financial backing for competitive surfing. Before the market crashed several of those companies were worth billions on paper. They could afford to sponsor major events as promotional vehicles. We have nothing like that now or in the foreseeable future.

Also, the simple reality is that competitive surfing still remains a very tough way to make a living. Despite the halo effect of Kelly Slater for the last two and a half decades - maybe the most dominant competitive athlete in modern sports history, blessed additionally by intelligence, articulation and staying power - but a few handful of the top competitive surfers have done very well and most are off tour and un-sponsored very quickly after climbing through the junior ranks. Maybe a job at the local surf shop...

Biscoe is right too. Surfing is way more telegenic and it is still relegated to webcasting/bro-casting for competitions and lifestyle video production.

We are who we are. What we can become is yet to be determined. People like Paul can help us get there, wherever it may be.

How does taxing the same pool of donors for more money grow anything?

Surfing grew because it is telegenic and the number of television channels grew exponentially. Disc golf =less telegenic.

It is not taxing when you have more demand to be in worlds than spots available. 50% of the field already knows it is taking a disc golf vacation. Raise the entry another $50-$100 per entry and maybe the organizers can start paying themselves. Look at any established sport. The organizers, leagues, and owners have motivation to increase revenue. AKA Grow the Sport,

I honestly think that the way to solve it can be based on marathons. In marathons, all of the qualifiers (top pros) have a limited entry fee, while those that did not can write off a donation tothe event, where the money raised can go into the payouts...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Paul win the Worlds at Charlotte? I remember that being his first championship but I may be confused. Locals will always have a bit of an advantage, but I wouldn't count him out just because it's being held on a wooded course this year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Paul win the Worlds at Charlotte? I remember that being his first championship but I may be confused. Locals will always have a bit of an advantage, but I wouldn't count him out just because it's being held on a wooded course this year.

Yeah, 2012 was Charlotte and Paul won by 5 strokes.

Personally, I think it will tougher for him to win this year.
Tighter woods courses and fewer rounds will tend to randomize the results somewhat.
First, because Paul tends to start out slow and finish strong. There will be fewer rounds to catch up on.
Second, because the woods will favor the "hot hand", and if one of the top pros has a couple hot rounds, it might be too much for him to beat.
But this is all idle speculation, and...
I would never bet against McBeast.

He won the 2012 Worlds in Charlotte, what more wooded courses are there in Pittsburgh. Ive played most of them. Nevin, Renaissance Gold, and Bradford long were as wooded probably more than any of those.

Personally, I think it will tougher for him to win this year.
Tighter woods courses and fewer rounds will tend to randomize the results somewhat.
First, because Paul tends to start out slow and finish strong. There will be fewer rounds to catch up on.
Second, because the woods will favor the "hot hand", and if one of the top pros has a couple hot rounds, it might be too much for him to beat.
But this is all idle speculation, and...
I would never bet against McBeast.
The harder the course the better chance mcbeast has of winning imo. His accuracy in all facets of the game is second to none.

I don't see why with all the courses at worlds you can't have unlimited players. If its selling out so fast why not double the field? Wouldn't that also heavily increase the payout?

In a time when so many people at the top of their sporting game of choice are proving themselves to be terrible role models, we should be so honored to have someone like McBeast at the top.

The guy is a true ambassador for the game and a role model for Professional Athletes across the board. He helps kids, is Really nice to everyone he meets, is completely Sober , and irrefutably is at the top of our game. I think it would be much deserved if he had a financially record breaking year . :thmbup:

In a time when so many people at the top of their sporting game of choice are proving themselves to be terrible role models, we should be so honored to have someone like McBeast at the top.

The guy is a true ambassador for the game and a role model for Professional Athletes across the board. He helps kids, is Really nice to everyone he meets, is completely Sober , and irrefutably is at the top of our game. I think it would be much deserved if he had a financially record breaking year . :thmbup:

Couldn't agree more.

More McBeths, less Patrick Browns.

Latest posts