• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth on Track for Record $$ Won

I've long thought that payouts are way too deep. Top 3 finishers should get the lion's share of the cash. In the case of the Scandinavian Open, the top three finishers earned a total of $15k, while the bottom 57 players who cashed earned a total of $38K.

I get the idea that deep payouts theoretically result in more entries and bigger purses, but I'm not so sure that someone signs up to play in a major for the chance at winning a couple hundred bucks for 60th place.

I do know that when I talk about disc golf to non-disc golfers, they always ask how much the top players make. It's almost embarrassing to tell someone that the top end is about $40k a year. Told that to a friend's brother in law last weekend and he replied that he won $5,000 in his local tarpon tournament.

I don't want to get to far off track but like paulw said for the most part these guys are playing for each others money.

If there was a tournament every weekend like Ledgetone you'd see quite a few more guys staying on the road. Finish top 25 and make $1000 each weekend. Not a bad cash paying job.

I've long thought that payouts are way too deep. Top 3 finishers should get the lion's share of the cash. In the case of the Scandinavian Open, the top three finishers earned a total of $15k, while the bottom 57 players who cashed earned a total of $38K.

I get the idea that deep payouts theoretically result in more entries and bigger purses, but I'm not so sure that someone signs up to play in a major for the chance at winning a couple hundred bucks for 60th place.

I do know that when I talk about disc golf to non-disc golfers, they always ask how much the top players make. It's almost embarrassing to tell someone that the top end is about $40k a year. Told that to a friend's brother in law last weekend and he replied that he won $5,000 in his local tarpon tournament.[/QUOTE]

I call shenanigans. The top prize in the Sarasota tarpon tourney is $1,000 plus a plaque. It's an annual event so one person can only win $1,000 during the year. I hope you laughed at him or something. Granted the payout in DG isn't much but tarpon fishing is less lucrative for the average joe. The only difference is that you will be able to find many many rednecks who will watch fishing on TV, hence they will bring in sponsors.

I call shenanigans. The top prize in the Sarasota tarpon tourney is $1,000 plus a plaque. It's an annual event so one person can only win $1,000 during the year. I hope you laughed at him or something. Granted the payout in DG isn't much but tarpon fishing is less lucrative for the average joe. The only difference is that you will be able to find many many rednecks who will watch fishing on TV, hence they will bring in sponsors.

It wasn't Sarasota. I looked it up and the winning team got $22,000.

I know nothing about fishing tournaments, so I wouldn't have been able to laugh at him even if he was pulling shenanigans.

I call shenanigans. The top prize in the Sarasota tarpon tourney is $1,000 plus a plaque. It's an annual event so one person can only win $1,000 during the year. I hope you laughed at him or something.

Class D minor league tournament.

The 2014 World's Richest Tarpon Tournament paid $23,000 for first, and this year first place paid $22,000. Based on the published schedule (50% first, 30% second, 20% third), second place paid $13,000 and third paid $8,800.

And the http://www.dingdarlingtarpontourney.org]Ding Darling Tarpon Tourney paid $11,418.75 for first, $6,343.75 for second, $4,806.25 for third, $2,537.50 for fourth, and $1,268.75 for fifth.

OBTW, might want to check the payouts for Professional Tarpon Tournament Series and Women's PTTS events before you try calling shenanigans.

So, the example your buddy used to indicate the laughability of $40k was a fishing tournament.... a tournament that was only $1k away from it's previous year's world-record-breaking purse? Way to pick a bad example....

To me, it seems silly to get paid for 100th place. I know there are guidelines but that is crazy. Should add more to the top finishers rather than pay someone way at the bottom. To me it is more attracting to have a larger payout to less players than it spread way out. Am I the only one who feels this way?

I was looking at that too. I don't think too many will be complaining about the payout.

SO (144 players paying 60--42%)
1. $7500
2. $4500
3. $3000
4. $2150
5. $2150
10. $1250
25. $660

Ledgestone (Projected 192 players paying 108--56%)
1. $6600
2. $4450
3. $3400
4. $2900
5. $2500
10. $1600
25. $1000

So let me get this straight...

It seems most of you are acknowledging its hard for a lot of guys to stay on tour; while also saying you think the money should primarily be going to the top 5 finishers...

so explain to me how a tour even exists beyond a handful of guys if you're not distributing the wealth down more so the guys who are typically coming in around 20th at big events can afford to keep going?

by the method most of you are advocating we'd see like 6 dudes on tour and everybody else just playing regionally.

Class D minor league tournament.

The 2014 World's Richest Tarpon Tournament paid $23,000 for first, and this year first place paid $22,000. Based on the published schedule (50% first, 30% second, 20% third), second place paid $13,000 and third paid $8,800.

And the http://www.dingdarlingtarpontourney.org]Ding Darling Tarpon Tourney paid $11,418.75 for first, $6,343.75 for second, $4,806.25 for third, $2,537.50 for fourth, and $1,268.75 for fifth.

OBTW, might want to check the payouts for Professional Tarpon Tournament Series and Women's PTTS events before you try calling shenanigans.

Who knew? Considering how much the gear and boats cost I would say the profit margin is pretty low at a tarpon tourney. The cost of entry (entry fees, equipment, etc.) is much lower in disc golf.

Who knew?

Oh, maybe anyone who actually knows anything about tournament fishing or bothered spending 30 seconds googling "tarpon tournament" before shooting off their mouth?

Considering how much the gear and boats cost I would say the profit margin is pretty low at a tarpon tourney. The cost of entry (entry fees, equipment, etc.) is much lower in disc golf.

Way to change the subject to try to weasel out of admitting you were wrong.

So, the example your buddy used to indicate the laughability of $40k was a fishing tournament.... a tournament that was only $1k away from it's previous year's world-record-breaking purse? Way to pick a bad example....

$40k competing at the highest tournamet level over the course of a season vs. $5000 competing at a single, local tournament. I don't see many (any) B- or C-tiers paying $5000 for first place.

Skins, aces, cash CTP's, Doubles monies won, etc is NOT added to official PDGA winnings that are posted ever.

In the TD report it specifically tells you to list those separate.
The difference with Maple Hill Skins is it happens as a separate invitational event that has nothing to do with qualifying for typical skins events where the players are determined from results in the singles event being played. That may be why the PDGA seems to count MH Skins money in winnings.

Something I suspect many U.S. players don't realize is the payout requirements and percentage of players paid out are lower for events outside North America. The PDGA International TD report provides 15%, 20%, 25%, 33% and 40% players paid options versus 40%, 45% and 50% for North American Pro players paid. In addition, more tournament expenses are deducted internationally plus there are usually fewer Am players as a percentage of the field (if any) to help support tournament expenses/purse. A Finn Master was visiting Minnesota for work last month. He was shocked that we were playing for a $250 first place prize in a 7-man B-tier field ($60 entry, plus added cash). I think he said it was more money than 10 Master event first place prizes combined, even with bigger fields in his country.

$40k competing at the highest tournamet level over the course of a season vs. $5000 competing at a single, local tournament. I don't see many (any) B- or C-tiers paying $5000 for first place.

You missed the point. Your tarpon tourney isn't merely "a single, local tournament". It pushed the limits of how large a purse can be; hence the title in your own words: "World's Richest Tarpon Tournament". (Hell, even the word 'Worlds' signifies something larger than local. But, of course, you can't have a world-wide fishing tournament. It has to be SOMEWHERE)

Using an outlying data point and referring to it as a typical point of reference is not sound logic. What is the average 1st place purse for such a tournament? Not nearly as much, I'd wager.

Last edited:
Should be around $51,554 after his win at the European Open. That trip abroad proved to be quite lucrative...

Another big W. $4,480 at the European Open. Next up Worlds.

~ $3,000 less than Scandinavian Open paid out for 1st, and only paid out 49 spots to SO's 60

... too much money get put into The Insider Show? :|

;)

Last edited:
~ $3,000 less than Scandinavian Open paid out for 1st, and only paid out 49 spots to SO's 60

... too much money get put into The Insider Show? :|

;)

top 15 at SO got $1,000+ ... top 7 at EO got $1,000+

^^That's interesting. Seems like a lot more coverage/publicity went to the EO, too.

Is this a sign that Latitude is pumping more into the tourney than DM/Innova, or are both brands simply sponsors in name only? I'm not familiar with how either tourney is funded...

^^That's interesting. Seems like a lot more coverage/publicity went to the EO, too.

Is this a sign that Latitude is pumping more into the tourney than DM/Innova, or are both brands simply sponsors in name only? I'm not familiar with how either tourney is funded...

yeah, of the two I thought the EO was the "more premier"

the numbers just kinda stuck out and made me say "huh"

The only difference is that you will be able to find many many rednecks who will watch fishing on TV, hence they will bring in sponsors.

WTF? You don't have to be a redneck to enjoy fishing. smh...

Latest posts