• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pay for an Ace?

what do you pay for an ace?

• Pat him on the back and say, "Way to go!".

Votes: 58 65.9%
  • Give him a dollar.

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • give him 5 dollars.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • give him your car, and you will pay him a gazillion dollar in installments.

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
-if I am playing with a stranger and he aces I give him herpes.
-if it's a friend, well, they already have gotten herpes from me, so a pat on the back will do.

And that is the gift that keeps on giving, even long after the excitiment of the ace is gone.

I think this thread is a useful tool to know who you should never play a round with. Now you know who's expecting their handout if they hit an ace. The first time someone tries to get money from me for hitting an ace is the first time I charge gas money for driving.

If I got an ace..

When I get my first ace, i expect my playing partners to do something very touching and generous for me like call and ambulance because i'm sure I'll have an aneurism.

Then they can spend pool their $5.00 and get me ballons.

Otherwise, i expect nothing but a pat on the back.

In Texas this is known as being in the "51 Club", and is very common. Like ThreePutt said any tee shot that aces is paid $5 by everyone else on the card, and any tee shot that hits metal is paid $1 by everyone else on the card. Works in reverse too though: if you hit a "Black Ace", i.e. tee shot into the wrong basket, you owe everyone else on your card $5.

A couple months back I hit my first metal on #12 at The LINKS at Quail Valley, but then had to pay out $1 to another guy who hit metal as well.

Funny story about my first witnessing of an ace...

A few weeks back we're playing in a charity tournament at McDade Park sponsored by Wal*Mart to benefit the Children's Miracle Network. It's set up by a bunch of Wal*Mart employees who don't really know what they're doing when it comes to disc golf and the "Ace Pot" was a $5 buy-in. First off that's a little high, Ace Pots are typically $1-$2, but it's potentially for charity so what the heck. But instead of the typical "Ace Pot" that pays out for hitting an ace on any hole, this one was restricted to just #18. Granted it's an easy straight 236' hole, but needless to say not a lot of players bought into $5 for one throw's chance.

The format of the event was a four or five person team scramble with each team playing "best shot" out of the four or five throws. (Yeah, a lot of birdies... winning team was -14.) So my team is on the top "card" playing with the best team in the event headed by local pro Dixon Jowers. We get to the 18th hole and Dixon tees off with his trusty Roc. I'd just finished marking the scores on the card from the last hole and look up to see his Roc flying down the fairway and landing perfectly into the basket.

Dixon hadn't paid for the formal Ace Pot... but with the team format he had eight other players on his card each paying him $5 for "51 Club". I think he probably made out better with that than the real deal.

ERic

P.S. I then got to watch him Sharpie his Roc to mark it's seventh ace.

Here in Atlanta the $5 for ace and $1 for metal (basket and above) is standard...casual or tourney round. You wouldn't get called out for not paying, but you would be thought of as cheap by not paying

Not like it happens that often...

I'd make him buy a round of drinks - which is the ball golf custom & i'd say the best custom

+1

I don't know why dg is different, especially since it's easier to do and more frequently done than ball golf.

I echo the statement on the "51 club" -- the only place I've heard the term used frequently is in TX, and it was always announced to see who was in on it when the round started... no hard feelings for those who didn't want in.

depends greatly on the group you are playing with. In other areas of the country, i've never heard this brought up in casual play. and I agree -- in tournaments or minis where an ace pot exists, there is no reason to set up a 51 club on the round, since everyone who wants to has already paid into a bigger pool.

My thoughts: you get to write down a 1 on your scorecard and have bragging rights for the week... no other praise needed. If it's you're buddy who hits the ace, buy him a drink and congratulate him: because he's your friend, not because you are obligated to.

IF disc golf is supposed to be similar to real golf then it is the guy who got the ace that buys a round of drinks. If they are expecting money for making a great shot then they are idiots. This isn't Burger King as I tell my 1st graders, they don't get to have it their way!

The course I have the most time on is Huntington Beach. When I lived there, there was a large local crowd and a smaller but always present group of 1st timers and casual players. If "Bob" hit an ace and I was there, $1. If "Bob" was with other locals and they came back saying "Bob" hit an ace, $1. But "Bob" nor any of the locals ever expected it from the casual group. And after too many years, I am still trying for number one. :(

Its known with the people I play with that if you get an ace, every one gives you a dollar, nothing for pole or chains though

It boils down to local rules.
My dad tried to stay a metal club, with card-carrying members. Sign up and get the card, and you are officially entitled to your 1-5$, and to pay it out too. Members know each other, and it works for a group who often play together and especially at the same park, daily. (Brown Park, Ann Arbor)

(Brown Park, Ann Arbor)

I was planning on going on a lil disc trip to ann arbor, I was for sure going to hudson mills, I was maybe gonna go to "brown park" too. I had "brown park" on my course wish list and now you cant click on it anymore. Does it still exist???

Ha..don't bring up painful memories.
Brown park is no more..thanks to the city wanting to change the pond around and add a trail. They are a year behind schedule.

It is however "supposed" to go back in, partially re-designed and re-vamped this fall? or next year..or 2075..or 3506 or whatever! I don't believe it'll ever happen but the steps are in motion..there was a city meeting or will be this month.

They pay you.

You're there to bear witness to such a feat, they should be so lucky as to call their ace "legitimate"; for you to back up the story-til the end of time- someone should be buying you a drink to say, "thanks for bearing witness to my disc golf greatness", and the obnoxious celebration that follows.

Buy him a beer and tell him to shut up... if someone wants to give him a dollar or five fine but i sould in no way be EXPECTED. "Woo Hoo you got an ace" if theres no ace pot then theres no money.

Slight drift...

My boss threw a fit one time about graffiti on the course. I went out and checked and didn't see anything, so she marched out there with me to show me what she was talking about. A lot of people write aces on the number plates of the DGA baskets, and she saw all the writing on the baskets and had a fit! Of course I knew it was there, but I never considered it vandalism and never thought twice about it.

So...disc golf tradition or common vandalism? I guess it depends on who is looking at it.

...drift off.

Latest posts