• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA NT: 2019 Delaware Disc Golf Challenge 23-Aug to 25-Aug-2019

The course designer likes to set up the course to play the exact opposite of what the players are use to. Par threes that take drivers to reach in the woods and par fours where the design is to play mid/putter or even putter/putter. To make it even worse, the possibility of a 550' eagle on a dogleg left or right actually plays into many players minds. Watch the commentary of hole 9 last year. Uli actually says any of these players have the skill to throw mid/mid to get the Birdie easily, yet the flight is so tempting. And the best part, Uli is the only player to Eagle the hole and in the same tournament double bogey it.

Is there some sort of embargo on final round coverage...neither Jomez or Gateway has it up yet ..and the battle was between first card and second card...let's go gentlemen....maybe I'm spoiled by next day generally meaning dinner time or before...

I really don't want anyone to get frustrated, but some courses are not as straight forward as they look. McBeth played the course exactly the way it was designed to be played. He played half the Par fours with a mid off the tee. Never took a sucker route, never got an Eagle, but only took one bogey all weekend.

Probably were driving to Maple Hill today.

Actually, I guess jomez isn't going to Maple Hill but Gatekeeper is.

Last edited:
I really don't want anyone to get frustrated, but some courses are not as straight forward as they look. McBeth played the course exactly the way it was designed to be played. He played half the Par fours with a mid off the tee. Never took a sucker route, never got an Eagle, but only took one bogey all weekend.

McBeth didn't play this tournament. Are you talking about him playing the course some other time?

Sorry. McBeth played last year and shot the course and tournament records. They played a slightly different layout this year but the course still plays with the same idea. Hard demanding par 3's, with most of the more technical holes being par 4's.

They played a slightly different layout this year but the course still plays with the same idea. Hard demanding par 3's, with most of the more technical holes being par 4's.

One of the MPO commentators mentioned that 3 of the changed holes went from the easiest to the hardest (relative to par). McEvil.

Some of the changes wouldn't have been such a big deal if they would have had time to practice more. The schedule over the past few weeks has taken its toll on some of the players. The European trip then Worlds really caught up to some of the players. Focus didn't seem as high or last as long.

This chart uses fairway hits to set the size of the bubbles; hole 17 is 67.3%. This chart includes all MPO players, not just those over 970.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DDGCChart2019.png
    DDGCChart2019.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 142
Some of the changes wouldn't have been such a big deal if they would have had time to practice more. The schedule over the past few weeks has taken its toll on some of the players. The European trip then Worlds really caught up to some of the players. Focus didn't seem as high or last as long.

This jives with the reasons given by some of the players that skipped playing the tournament, like McBeth and Pierce. In fact, I think McBeth specifically said that if it had been a course he was more familiar with (presumably somewhere he had more than a weekend's worth of experience playing), he might have played even with the quick schedule turnaround.

What gets me about it is that when I'm approaching a course I'm less familiar with, I default to playing mids and putters and more generally conservative play, which is probably a good thing on a course like Iron Hill. Clearly, a lot of these top players default to aggression, or probably more accurately are more comfortable trying to play aggressive lines and throws. Not that that's anything new...I've always found that the touring player's mindset is "when in doubt, throw a big hyzer". If that's not available, the hole/course sucks.

interesting that Paige P was there on site but she decided not to play . . .

interesting that Paige P was there on site but she decided not to play . . .

Last week on Smashboxx, both her and Paul said they didn't feel like there was enough time to really practice the course to their standards to try and get a win. Even still, if they just wanted a week off after the biggest event of the year, what's wrong with that? The timing for Iron Hill is really bad in my opinion. Really difficult course that falls between 2 of the bigger events of the season. And it's unfortunate because it's a really cool course from what I can tell.

Paige travels with Alyssa Van Lanen, who still had to work. I'm sure Paul just went home since he lives in Virginia now.

Last week on Smashboxx, both her and Paul said they didn't feel like there was enough time to really practice the course to their standards to try and get a win. Even still, if they just wanted a week off after the biggest event of the year, what's wrong with that? The timing for Iron Hill is really bad in my opinion. Really difficult course that falls between 2 of the bigger events of the season. And it's unfortunate because it's a really cool course from what I can tell.

Paige travels with Alyssa Van Lanen, who still had to work. I'm sure Paul just went home since he lives in Virginia now.

I totaly get why she didn´t play that close to Worlds. . BUT once she´s on site i bet she could place top 2 playing the course blind and take home $1000

Usually when you decide not to play you go home. . .or anywhere else. . .but as she travels with Alyssa she´s "stuck" and why not just play?

Usually when you decide not to play you go home. . .or anywhere else.

Not necessarily. She just won the World title. She visits, hangs out with her buddies, maybe gives an interview or two with the Worlds hoopla having died down a bit, and of course she's promoting that Dynamics Discs brand. "Disc golf is love, disc golf is life", dontcha know...

PP doesn't only make money playing disc golf. It also appears that her photography might be a potential career after she's done playing, so why not take a little time to develop those skills when not focused on playing golf?

When I was watching Ricky's rounds on vid, it seemed like he was taking very aggressive lines. Early on it was paying off, sometimes with the help of a few trees that jumped out of the way at the last minute. But trees giveth, and trees taketh away.

I wonder at what point Ricky started checking scores. If he knew he had a decent lead, it would be interesting to know whether he considered playing more conservatively or decided to keep doing what had been working. And, with benefit of hindsight, whether he will make a different decision going forward.

I have played Iron Hill a few times, mostly middle or long tees to long baskets. At my (limited) distance, the fairways are fair but unforgiving. But even though I love woods golf, the relentless need to hit lines and scramble effectively at Iron Hill can wear you down.

Which, IMO, makes it an excellent test for the top pros. DDGC is one of the events I most look forward to watching every year.

... Even still, if they just wanted a week off after the biggest event of the year, what's wrong with that? ...

What other jobs just let you take a week off if you want, after you've had a big week?

Oh, wait, there are a lot of gigs like that these days, aren't there?

Never mind. (Being a curmudgeon is harder than it used to be.)

Latest posts