• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA ratings are up. How'd you do?

This thread is convincing me that I should get a PDGA membership so that I can track my progress over time.

My rating jumped up higher than I thought it would, realized it's because my first ever scored round is no longer "included". Can someone explain how this works?

In a nutshell (and probably oversimplified), they include rounds back only 12 months from your most recent, with the exception being they count a minimum number of rounds (8) before beginning to drop old ones. And they 'weight' the most recent ones (25%) so that your rating more accurately reflects your current play.

See Ratings Guide and FAQ

Last edited:
My rating jumped up higher than I thought it would, realized it's because my first ever scored round is no longer "included". Can someone explain how this works?
If one or more of your round ratings falls more than 2.5 std deviations (or more than 100 pts) below your remaining round rating average, it will be dropped from your rating calculation, i.e., "not included" that month.

If one or more of your round ratings falls more than 2.5 std deviations (or more than 100 pts) below your remaining round rating average, it will be dropped from your rating calculation, i.e., "not included" that month.

What about a score significantly above you average round? For instance I usually play around 900 but just threw a 959 yesterday.

One of the reasons they take out a score below your standard deviation is to try and keep people from sandbagging. Taking out a score that's above your SD would help them sandbag.

What about a score significantly above you average round? For instance I usually play around 900 but just threw a 959 yesterday.
The difference between an abnormally high versus abnormally low rated round is you can deliberately shoot the abnormally low round whereas the abnormally high round is part of your random probabilities (barring pencil whipping/cheating) which hopefully is being prevented by your group during tournament play.

Got back into some more sanctioned events in 2016. Over the course of the year my rating dropped almost 30 points... Sanctioned league didnt help, but really it was my awful performance in events. I threw a handful of rounds rated lower than my worst 10 years ago playing AM1...
Was pretty consistent up to this year despite not playing as much as I previously had.
20-Sep-2016 941
16-Aug-2016 960
19-Apr-2016 967
20-Oct-2015 967
28-Jul-2015 961
26-May-2015 967
18-Nov-2014 971

I know what my holes are and have reassessed my game plan for this year and hope to bring myself (most) of the way back up.

When an event takes 6 months to go official and you have played enough rounds that it wouldn't be included with the most recent date wise, do those rounds still get double weighted when they finally do go official?

When an event takes 6 months to go official and you have played enough rounds that it wouldn't be included with the most recent date wise, do those rounds still get double weighted when they finally do go official?
If the date of those new rounds places them older than your most recent 25%, they won't be double weighted. Rounds are still listed in order of their date when finally official. It's another reason for TDs to get their reports submitted, that is if you have good ones. If not, then not so much.

I moved up 12 today to 938 very pleased, but cant wait to drop some 8xx rounds with the spring updates.

Hoping to have a few 950+ rounds in March to keep it going upward.

hmmmmm. myself, nor anyone of our local players have received an update yet today......
If you didn't play in any events in 2016 that weren't processed already, then there's no update. No 2017 events are included in this update.

If you didn't play in any events in 2016 that weren't processed already, then there's no update. No 2017 events are included in this update.

ahhhhh. Okay, didn't realize that's how this update was done. Just figured it would be normal update based on submission deadline.

thanks chuck

Sadly nothing new on this update, but I just played in the Alabama Slammer and shot an 847, which will replace a 797, 809, 834, and 816, so that'll be nice. I'll also hopefully play in a tourney in April which will drop a 876, 803, 799, and 721 off, which will just leave a 727 and 762 from Nationals last year really holding my rating down. Should hopefully have some really good updates to come this year

Latest posts