• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA ratings are up. How'd you do?

I feel like yacking about my rating, so I'll bump this. I always like the first rating of the year - a good moment to look back on the completed year before in the rating details. The January update this year saw me drop from 978 to 976.

I added on to my profile rounds of 908 939 939 979 1010 1040 (league) and 983 993 (tournament). I got hit hard by some of the league rounds there, as those averaged to a hair under 974 despite 5 of the rounds being well above that. Overall, though, that all pretty much falls in line with my year as a golfer in 2019. If I remove my league rounds and focused on tournament golf only - I averaged a 975.6 on the year.

I'm overall very happy with my play in tournaments. I had 15 tournament rounds, 5 2-round events and 5 1-round collegiate events. I had one tournament where my nerves literally destroyed my putting in mid-June, and aside from that played to a 986.9 level across the other 9 events/13 rounds with a standard deviation of 15.1. So across 9 out of 10 events I averaged a spread of 971-1001. Considering my ratings were much stronger in the second half of the year, I'm looking forward to an even stronger and hopefully more consistent 2020. Ending the year as a 976 rated player is the best I've felt about my golf since maybe 2015.

Awesome, thank you so much. Now what is 2.5 standard deviations from my rating mean?
Hey Jeff, hope you're still around...

Basically the PDGA wants ratings to represent you as a player, and there are many ways for something to go wrong resulting in a round being well below your actual skill level (twist an ankle, break a hand and play lefty, fall in a pond and play out the round in cold weather, etc.). To compensate for rounds that are abnormally below your usual level - they remove the worst of them. The line in the sand that the PDGA chose to draw was 100 points below your rating (or, generally, 10 strokes worse than usual).

Since some players may never have a round that abnormally bad - the PDGA decided to throw a bone to the most consistent players: if your standard deviation is very small (which means your rounds are, on average, not very far from what your average round is) they give you to 2.5-times your standard deviation IF that number is smaller than 100. So, for example, if a player spends the whole year shooting on average within 20 points of his average round, that player is rewarded by dropping any round that is 20x2.5=50 points below his rating.

So as long as your rounds are, on average, less than 40 points from your average: you get the advantage of dropping rounds that are closer to your average round than 100 points. As an example last update I was rated 978 and dropped a 912, but because I added some rounds as low as 908 and as high as 1040 this update my standard deviation widened and the 912 was included again as my rating dropped to 976.

Note: the PDGA doesn't drop rounds way ABOVE your rating because those tend to represent a maximum skill level you possess, whereas the worry is that an abnormally low round likely represents something outside of your skill level.

Note: the PDGA doesn't drop rounds way ABOVE your rating because those tend to represent a maximum skill level you possess, whereas the worry is that an abnormally low round likely represents something outside of your skill level.
...or an attempt to artificially lower your rating (sandbagging).

+8, to a new personal high of 906.

hellfmU.png

The fun of playing only a few sanctioned rounds per year...

Dropped 30 points, 957 to 927. I played through some shoulder issues a couple weeks ago and shot the worst competitive round I've ever had. Dropped a sweet 831-rated round out there, where I couldn't make anything work. Carded my first-ever tournament quadruple-bogey 8!

Of course when you only have 6 total sanctioned rounds in 2 years, that tanks your average and shoots up your StDev. It just so happened to be 93 points below my average for the year, haha.

This may be my last PDGA update. Idk if I am going to renew next year as I don't plan on playing 5+ events.

I went up 2, back to 942.

Only played 1 event this year, in which I pretty much shot exactly my rating: 937, 945, 937.

Started the year at 791...played 4 tourneys, bumped up to 835. Funny thing is, I hit a major slump with my backhand and lost the feel of the hit cause I was trying to throw too hard, but I got more comfortable playing in tournaments which lead to putting better, and my course management improved. Would like to break 900 this coming year. I've been playing Rec but I may move to AM 40+

Shot a 1028 rated round at the Wintertime Open, and rating jumped up 12 points to 974. Only notched 2 wins in MA1 but I guess now I'll just have to strive to get last place cashes in Open or MP40.

Shot a 1028 rated round at the Wintertime Open, and rating jumped up 12 points to 974. Only notched 2 wins in MA1 but I guess now I'll just have to strive to get last place cashes in Open or MP40.
Why do you have to turn pro?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought 970+ were expected to move up (maybe even barred from competing in MA1)?
No one has to turn pro regardless of rating. The 970 rating is just a milestone where players may want to think about turning pro. A 970+ rating can be competitive in pro divisions in C and B tiers in some regions and not in others, especially in MP40. In most A-tiers it might be a tough challenge to cash but I would look at the situation in your area first to see how you might fare.

No one has to turn pro regardless of rating. The 970 rating is just a milestone where players may want to think about turning pro. A 970+ rating can be competitive in pro divisions in C and B tiers in some regions and not in others, especially in MP40. In most A-tiers it might be a tough challenge to cash but I would look at the situation in your area first to see how you might fare.

Ah...well, in my area so many 930ish rated players already play MPO, my rounds usually cash in the C tiers.

I'm like Ty Webb when it comes to keeping score.

Maybe next year I'll start.

Latest posts