• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Photon (11-12 Speed) Distance Driver

The beginners ive let thrown all were impressed with the distance. Im wondering how much you have thrown this disc. Im not even sold on it but its obvious how easy to throw and far these light weight drivers go regardless of MikeC power or not. No one here has said anything crazy in the past few pages at all. You make it sound like people are saying they are magical and thats not the case.

I know you got hyped when Mike C said it was longer than his Quasars and if you check out the fb page there is definitely some people, as I mentioned originally.

Here is what I like about the Photon, it is very easy to get distance with this disc. I am very impressed that even though it has great HSS it still pumps out and I don't have to give up much D for control. In case anyone is interested I have a 152g and if thrown flat or with a touch of hyzer it really doesn't track off line and finishes with a solid fade. the only other high speed driver I carry is a 163g Champ Tern that flies on a pretty big "S" and usually lands almost dead center to my release. So for this disc to fly a perfect stable golf line and end up within 20' of my Tern that is flying on a distance line I consider that impressive. i am currently throwing 340-350' average with the occasional 380' sneaking in there every now and again, so I'd consider myself about medium in power and right in line with a lot of players.

I will also add that I like light drivers and have tried a few different blizz destroyers, wraiths & apes as well as air trespass'. The Photon is less touchy and in my limited experience it flies better if you throw it like you would a normal, heavy disc than if you try to throw it like its bubble plastic.

One final note, I was honestly hoping that I would pick this up and see gains right off bat. That it would be the furthest discs I've ever thrown. I didn't get that, but I did find a reliable, stable to OS driver that can still hold its own on the distance front and that's a great disc to have.

The first time I threw mine a unicorn gave me a ride over a rainbow. I'd say thats pretty magical.

I am surprised by the durability of these. Was worried upon drilling some trees off the tee but all 3 of mine look goof after 36 holes as my only drivers in the bag. Anyone else pick up a super light one? I wonder what weights we will see available in proton/neutron/

Proton or neutron should be June because they will be available for the Circuit events and that's when they start. Proton Photon has a nice ring to it.

My guess is they hold off till July to start the new drivers in neutron or proton. By then the axiom drivers will all be out and it gives the circuit releases a little more exclusivity. Also curious what they do with plasma next. If they go back to mids or the 20mm class.

I played a round with the Photons (154g and 164g) on a longer, more open course (all 27 at Token Creek). There are many 400' + and 500' holes on this course, and it was very windy today (gusts of 25 mph).

The Photons still didn't go farther than my Destroyers but with some adjustments I'm matching distance with the Destroyers now when I wasn't before as I'm getting a better feel for throwing lighter discs.

The Photons did very well in the wind. In stability, the lighter one is close my seasoned bottom stamp Destroyer, but it feels more workable. By which I mean I can throw a huge anny with the Photons but if I tried that with the bottom stamp Destroyer it would more than likely fade out. Sometimes they went too straight on flat shots into the wind (that's asking a lot any way but still the Destroyer is more predictable).

In general, the Photons excelled at huge hyzers and anhyzers, probably due to their weight. They did really well in the wind too. I think I might add the lighter one into the bag.

Strangely, the 164g seems more understable but also seems to have a more glideless fade that just falls out of the sky. The 154g is stable/overstable and I can't get any turn out of it, but when it fades out it's a little glidier and skips more (these discs skip a lot, which is fun). I don't think I'll bag the 164g.

We'll see if I really bag this disc, since it's rare that a disc stays in the bag. But I can see this disc stealing a lot of shots from my Destroyers. They're fun to throw - a lightweight but OS disc is definitely something unique.

Got my two Photons in the mail today - a 143 and a 162 - and snuck out onto a lit field in the center of a track to try them out.

For reference, I throw Craves ~335', max weight Laces 350'-375', and mid-160s Laces 375'-400'.

My experience was in line with what others who throw around my distance have said. The Photon didn't net me extra D, at least not out of the gate, but it was very consistent for me. The 162 showed a smidge of turn and a comfortable fade that was not too big relative to the disc's speed. I had a hard time with the 143'; I'm guessing this is because I've never thrown a disc that light. My timing was consistently off. In any case I need to spend some more time with it before I get a sense of its distance potential, but it was clear that this disc is remarkably stable relative to its weight. I feel like I don't have to lay off of it, which was nice.

The thing that seemed to distinguish the Photon from other distance drivers I've thrown is that it seems like such an easy flier, presumably because of the light weight. Its distance isn't massive, but it comfortably hits its full potential: its got serious glide relative to its stability.

I'm curious to spend more time with these. The 162 flew beautifully, and consistently went farther than my max weight Laces, while seeming to have the same kind of stability and wind handling ability (the light but noticeable headwinds it flew into tonight weren't a factor). Neither it nor the 143 could reach the pure D of my 160s Laces, but as I said, I wasn't clicking with the 143. I feel like in time I could equal or surpass my max D with lighter Laces with a lighter Photon and be able to do so more consistently, but it's going to take some more time before that's certain.

Definitely an intriguing combination of weight, glide, and stability. Not a silver bullet for me, but a disc that I'll be testing to make the bag. At present I can see dropping my heavier Laces for 160s Photons and keeping the lighter Laces for max D, at least until I start clicking with 140s Photons, wear in some 160s Photons (very excited about the potential there), or until the stable-understable DD gets released (which I'm very intrigued to try now that I've thrown the Photon).

well said. It is a strange disc with the combo of speed, lighter weights and apparent GYRO (imo).... Will be curious to try it out in regular neutron and mess with some of the other molds to come out in this speed class.

The durability, as far damage goes, on these seems to be excellent so far. Monday I played an unsanctioned tourney at a private course that has several paintball fields running across the course. I hit a giant plastic drain pipe, a wooden bunker and a hard plastic pallet hard enough to worry me, but when I looked at the disc each time I couldn't tell where the impacts were. The flight hasn't changed a bit either after those hits and a couple good tree whacks. All the blizzard discs I have thrown were noticeably different after taking similar hits. The only time it has burned on me so far was when I gripped locked into a 25mph right to left headwind and it was pulling out and starting to fade when it hit the ground.

Similar to early "good" Blizzard Boss

Got mine today and threw it about 10 times in an open field next to some other similar speed discs (Trespass, Hurricane, Destroyer) along with my Tesla and my first run Blizzard Boss which I love.

The Bliz Boss is one of the old school versions with bubbles only in the flight plate. I would say the Photon reminded me a lot of the Boss. If the Photon can replace that disc I'll be very happy since I've never found another Blizz disc that flew nearly as well. Both weigh the same (152g) and I've been throwing the Boss for years so very easy to do comparisons.

I'm not sure about the plastic yet. Seems super flexible in the AZ heat. Will take some adjustments.

I was getting about 30-40 more feet out of the Photon (~400) vs. the Tesla (350-375). Similar D to the Trespass, Hurricane and Destroyer and still a little bit short of the Boss (~425'ish).

My Photon is very flat - not quite a inverse dome but with the makings of it. Would be curious if anyone has one with any dome at all and if so if you are getting any more glide out of the domier version?

I throw an all MVP bag with the exception of max speed drivers. Would be great to fill that slot with the Photon but I'm not 100% sold yet. If I ever lose my Bliz Boss though I could see this being an off the shelf replacement which is great.

No dome on mine. Both are white, with the 162 having a cool starburst blue mixed in and a few dots in the flight plate.

Forgot to mention my thoughts on the Fission plastic. Definitely the best feeling premium plastic from MVP/Axiom to date IMHO. I've never thought much of the hand feel of Neutron or Proton - durability is excellent, but the feel is just serviceable. I have a few proto Plasmas that are interestingly gummy but don't do it for me. This Fission on the other hand has a grippy, tacky feel that isn't quite like anything I've felt before; I really like it. Never thought that about an MVP disc before, and I think the improved feel (coupled with the recent base plastic) is a nice step for them.

Flight plate is definitely thin and flexible, but nothing outside the realm of Plasma bendy-wise.

i got my 146g and 165g photons couple of days ago. They were excellent on tailwind against destroyer and wraiths. straight headwind killed the flight somehow. they just didn't penetrate the wind as good as the full weight jolly launcher destroyer. really nice flight on both of them. They both handle full power without problems. (380-400ft thrown flat and low line.) pink 146g disc is really puddle topped, but flies nicely. i really look forward how they season.

Got 2 Photons in yesterday (thanks Justin) and got some field time with them. 163 and 153. Both red. First impressions:

They aren't a D miracle for me either, but that's at least partly the limits of my arm speed/form. Right at the end of the session, I did about 12 throws side by side with these 2 and my 2 go to P Teslas, all 12 were past 375 range (with both molds) and maybe a couple each were tickling 400.' I'd say, end of the day, maybe I'm getting an average of like 10' more from the Photon. (This could expand as I get more used to them. I've really, really gelled with the P Tesla.)

Agreed with others that this Fission is very nice feeling/gripping, better than on the Volt even. I'm not too wild about the mushy flight plate, but I guess it doesn't really come into play much with a power grip. Like, I didn't care for it standing in my driveway just fondling, but I didn't have any issues throwing the things.

There was some breeze, nothing gusty really, and I thought these held up pretty well stability wise, but there's a noticeable lack of penetration into a head wind, to be expected probably from lighter discs.

Even without adding 100' of D or whatever, these are still pretty cool discs. The "enhanced" gyro seems legit to me, not for raw D necessarily, but for the ability to control the disc at the 400' range like a mid, almost. Once I started getting the feel of the stability difference between the 2 weights, I was able to put these pretty much where I wanted at 375+. I thought the fade was quite muted for a 'speed 11' rimmed disc. Once dialed in, the HS turn on the 153 is very smooth transitioning, totally trustworthy and workable.

For me, on these throws, I don't think I'd describe the Photon as a longer Tesla. The lines they fly are just too different...primarily in the finish (besides not really being that much longer for me.) The photon, I can get out past 350 about 5' off the ground pretty easily, and with very little fade and almost no skip. Tesla's a lot harder to do that sort of shot with, takes some precise angling (and luck, really) not to get that fade out/skip/flair.

On taller hyzer-type throws, looking for a steeper fade into the target area, sometimes the Photons were sort of banking and dropping out of the air somewhat, rather than fading on the angle into the target aggressively the way my Teslas do. There's a place for both, in other words.

Can't wait to get my hands on some Photon in other plastics. Plasma?

Last edited:
My Photon is very flat - not quite a inverse dome but with the makings of it. Would be curious if anyone has one with any dome at all and if so if you are getting any more glide out of the domier version?

Majority of all my photons were flat in the order I received from MVP. The 134g I have in my bag along side the 2 heavy ones has much more dome (even a little "heartbeat") and less HSS. Its hard to comment on the glide as its a SUPER light disc and already glides like hell. I think I like the flight of the flatter/heavy ones better but this light one is a blast to throw at lower power or on high turning distance shots. Id be really interested to throw a heavy one with the similar dome--like with the plasma tesla the added glide and touch less HSS was apparent.

Funny how the domey discs like a vector, tangent, axis etc have greater HSS while on a driver it can be opposite. Discs are weiiiiiird.

Aims post is dead on the lighter one I received has a little pop in the top opposed to the heavier one being board flat, extreemly excited to rip on them both this afternoon, I am however extreemly nervous about the durability of these discs compared to all other mvp I've had, we will see how it beats in, hopefully it behaves like premium plastic after a couple 70+mph tree hits

Latest posts