• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Photon (11-12 Speed) Distance Driver

I have a duality stamp 175g N photon I bought at least a year and a half ago. I mistakenly thought it was a Wave when I got it, and after the first round I played with it, I got really mad that I had wasted money on the wrong disc and threw it really hard into the parking lot on edge. It left a small dent/scuff on the rim and took a bit of the dump away. It still pretty much flies the same now, little to no turn and a glidey fade. Great headwind driver.

Last edited:
I've got a flat, heavy N Photon that I found (lucky me) that I use for risky holes and headwinds. It hasn't shown any signs of losing beef. Photons are great, man.

Yup. Photons are what Destroyers would be if they molded up consistently flat and with an OS finish.

What's up guys? So I've been experimenting with beating in discs: taking them to a wonderful wooded course and throwing max power with the intent of dinging them up a little bit. With my arm speed and form I can get wraiths 325-355' regularly. With MVP's discs, I've noticed that they beat up EXTREMELY slowly. The MVP drivers with wider rims typically beat in much faster than say a putter or mid.

So far my favorite is this octane that I've worn in very well. Most recently, I got a 167g 4x destroyer beat up and decided to throw it. It is a thing of beauty, possibly the most fun I've ever had throwing a disc. It flies like a 12 speed axis with that incredible forward fade, and got past 350' with it consistently.

My primary question is, when a photon beats up, how will it fly? I have one 150 class, 1 max weight, and a plasma. All are straight to strong fade for me. Considering how they might beat up might make the difference between me throwing destroyers vs photons/octanes.

Protons are the most LSS. Little tiny dome makes them fade more vs flat neutrons. A beat neutron and fresh proton are great pair. My beat up 166g neutron photon sits right between a photon/wave now.

had a few pop top light weight fissions in my order that they were all 135g-141g and were pretty understable at high speed.

I have probably 20+ stack of both, probably a good idea. Ill see if I can get something on video today.

I wouldn't say there is a big difference when new but my seasoned N has turn and no fade really at 166g and my 173g lightly seasoned N will flip to flat from a very slight hyzer and then ride out the line to the ground.

Protons seem to hold the release for a LONG time before starting to fade. I have went looking for these protons on a few holes now and had to walk up 30-50' further then expected. Its weird being the only difference you can see is laying them top down and tiny shoulder/dome raise on the Ps where neutrons sit FLAT.

Will get slight turn and fade will soften up. I had a wonderfully beat 166g (above) that was super straight with a shallow hyzer.

I've been trying to find a fission photon in the low 160's for while now and it seems that this range is non-existant. There are plenty under 160 and some over 165. Am I just missing them?

Marshall street has 164s. Intimate has a 164, and a 161 neutron. That's all I see from the sites I generally look at.

Ask on MVP buy sell trade group on facebook.

I think there just aren't that many Fission Photons "on the shelf" right now? The 160s are fantastic drivers, some of their best. imo

I think there just aren't that many Fission Photons "on the shelf" right now? The 160s are fantastic drivers, some of their best. imo

GGGT has 23 "in-stock"
Infinite over 40.

Lower 160s seem to be less common though heavy 150 and 160 are around. I loved the 134g I had until it glided right over some pine trees in a crosswind never to be seen again..

I might need to revisit a lighter photon again and just go with all photons for drivers vs these new high speeders. I like the octane and catalyst but could probably do it all with photons at my D.

Yeah, the Photon lineup is the shizz afaic. I'm almost certainly going to grab a Teleport at some point, just can't help myself, but I probably don't "need" it.

Maybe pre-baby I could've, but I've barely been able to play for like the past year, and my D has definitely suffered.

Yeah, the Photon lineup is the shizz afaic. I'm almost certainly going to grab a Teleport at some point, just can't help myself, but I probably don't "need" it.

Maybe pre-baby I could've, but I've barely been able to play for like the past year, and my D has definitely suffered.

If you're already thinking about it, just give Teleporting a go. I have the same baby related handicap going on but still was able to immediately squeak out more D from the Teleport than Octanes. I was afraid the rim would be too big but it's not that bad. High 160's or low 170's might be sweet.

With the Photons already on lock down as for controlled distance, the Teleport (class) would make more sense to bag than the 23mm class, which -unfortunately- I'm already pretty invested in. Damn MVP coming up with all this high speed shiz so fast :wall:

If you're already thinking about it, just give Teleporting a go. I have the same baby related handicap going on but still was able to immediately squeak out more D from the Teleport than Octanes. I was afraid the rim would be too big but it's not that bad. High 160's or low 170's might be sweet.

With the Photons already on lock down as for controlled distance, the Teleport (class) would make more sense to bag than the 23mm class, which -unfortunately- I'm already pretty invested in. Damn MVP coming up with all this high speed shiz so fast :wall:

Yeah, I was thinking along these same lines. I do have one Octane, a LE Plasma, and it's double domey. I just don't do well with the domier driver setup. It sounds like this Teleport class is more on the standard MVP flat side of things.

I've got meat hooks, so no worries about rim width.

Yeah, I was thinking along these same lines. I do have one Octane, a LE Plasma, and it's double domey. I just don't do well with the domier driver setup. It sounds like this Teleport class is more on the standard MVP flat side of things.

I've got meat hooks, so no worries about rim width.

Maybe we could meet up sometime this month and you could try my pair of Teleports.

Can anyone compare proton vs neutron vs fission? I've only thrown fissions in the low 160's and would like to get another couple of those and maybe a couple more in different weights and plastics. Can I expect a heavier proton to bring the beef?

Can anyone compare proton vs neutron vs fission? I've only thrown fissions in the low 160's and would like to get another couple of those and maybe a couple more in different weights and plastics. Can I expect a heavier proton to bring the beef?

Yep. I throw max weights around 500' and they don't really show any turn for me when new. I can use them for flex shots in the 425-500' range and trust them to come back.

Good mix of FH and BH shots in this video, mostly with max weights. Couple Fission throws towards the end if I remember correctly. Hole #5 is a great example of a long flex shot.

If you want a really beefy photon, you need to look for a nice flat one, whether its neutron or proton. If you can find a particle duality stamp, those are most OS I've seen.

This might be answered in here but what is a 155 Neutron compared to a 155 Fission?

I carry a 157 fizz and a 158 N. My fission is the original run and iirc, people have said those are a bit less OS off the shelf that they are now. They were about a year apart when I got them but new both were pretty similar to a max weight. While they were easier to get up to speed and on a really good rip, I could make them turn more because of the weight difference, they were still more or less -1 3 and -.5 3 but they obviously didn't handle wind very well compared to a max weight... though the N is pretty flat and handled it better. The difference really was the finish. The fission seemed to carry a bit farther before stalling than the N did and when the N did stall, it fell like a rock...

...and then there's the fact that fizz seasons faster. So if you lose a seasoned N, you might want to try replacing it with a fizz.

Any word on how the domestic EK Fizz fly? Been too windy for me to brake out a 150 disc.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk