• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Photon (11-12 Speed) Distance Driver

Any word on how the domestic EK Fizz fly? Been too windy for me to brake out a 150 disc.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I have a EK 5x fizz and it's pretty beefy. Not much dome, pretty flat. Handles wind better than I expected for 155g.

I meant to say Domey not domestic. Lol. Can't edit it for some reason.

I meant to say Domey not domestic. Lol. Can't edit it for some reason.

Gotcha, i was kind of confused for a minute lol. Would like to try a domey photon, I've only ever used the flat ones. Are the newer runs supposed to have more dome?

Gotcha, i was kind of confused for a minute lol. Would like to try a domey photon, I've only ever used the flat ones. Are the newer runs supposed to have more dome?
It look like it. My domey came from a brand new shipment.

It look like it. My domey came from a brand new shipment.

Awesome, you'll have to let us know how it flies once you throw it!

My local store got a couple in recently but they were all board flat, only one fission and a couple neutrons

Bad day at the field. My dip came back. But it was stable the few shots I got right. My flat 160 that I best in was flippier.

How much more beefy is the Cosmoc Photon compared to a PFN Neutron?

Is there a consensus order of stability concerning plastic type for the photon? Or is it more weight related? Or a combo of both and is more run specific like; heavy fission or light weight photon etc?

Is there a consensus order of stability concerning plastic type for the photon? Or is it more weight related? Or a combo of both and is more run specific like; heavy fission or light weight photon etc?
I'm not sure, I'm only responding to say Go Giants!

In my experience stability was effected by weight a lot more than by plastic type.

Is there a niche of weights people have been preferring for their "workhorse" photon? I only have experience with max weight photons, and want to try some lighter weights but am a bit worried about them either being or getting unpredictable more quickly.

Is there a niche of weights people have been preferring for their "workhorse" photon? I only have experience with max weight photons, and want to try some lighter weights but am a bit worried about them either being or getting unpredictable more quickly.

I was going to let people with more experience throwing Photons chime in on your follow-up question. I only bagged them for a year. But, limited advice is better than no advice at all, so...

I wouldn't worry about any gyro plastic beating in too quickly (other than electron). I know the rims seem relatively soft, but my experience was that they age as slowly as Innova Champ plastic despite how the plastic feels. The one exception to this is if you accidently spike hyzer it onto concrete (don't ask me how I know :\) in which case that will do some damage to the rim and will make it noticeably less stable. But just normal wear and tear? MVP drivers are very durable.

Photons are a very predictable mold. I wouldn't worry too much about getting a Photon that is unreliable. In fact, that's a big part of why I switched away from them. I just couldn't fill that workhorse driver slot, as I was constantly looking for something less stable than a light Photon but more stable than a heavy Wave. But I am not a power thrower, so if you are someone consistently in the 375'+ range then I think a lightweight Photon should give you that workhorse -1 turn/2.5 fade shot shape.

Really liking the Photon at 164 , 165 grams. Still stable into moderate headwind @ 300+ ft , but not so overstable that I lose distance. Waves will go longer for me, but have to hyzer flip just right, so less controllable. Maybe someday there will be a driver that fits just right between these 2, but for now they cover most of my longer driving needs.

I was going to let people with more experience throwing Photons chime in on your follow-up question. I only bagged them for a year. But, limited advice is better than no advice at all, so...

I wouldn't worry about any gyro plastic beating in too quickly (other than electron). I know the rims seem relatively soft, but my experience was that they age as slowly as Innova Champ plastic despite how the plastic feels. The one exception to this is if you accidently spike hyzer it onto concrete (don't ask me how I know :\) in which case that will do some damage to the rim and will make it noticeably less stable. But just normal wear and tear? MVP drivers are very durable.

Photons are a very predictable mold. I wouldn't worry too much about getting a Photon that is unreliable. In fact, that's a big part of why I switched away from them. I just couldn't fill that workhorse driver slot, as I was constantly looking for something less stable than a light Photon but more stable than a heavy Wave. But I am not a power thrower, so if you are someone consistently in the 375'+ range then I think a lightweight Photon should give you that workhorse -1 turn/2.5 fade shot shape.

Photons are definitely a good "workhorse" driver mold. I haven't thrown any super light ones, but 170g+ Photons do just fine. These remind me a lot of a Destroyer. They're a little beefier than you think, and take a pretty good rip to get turned. I'm able to put 100% rips on Photons and not flip them entirely.

Glide is acceptable, but not remarkable.

Photon: 12, 4, -1, 3. I figure you need minimum 375' power to really get a Photon moving. If you can't throw 375', you'll need something flippier.

Personally, I'd pick something like an Octane as a workhorse driver from MVP.

Photons are definitely a good "workhorse" driver mold. I haven't thrown any super light ones, but 170g+ Photons do just fine. These remind me a lot of a Destroyer. They're a little beefier than you think, and take a pretty good rip to get turned. I'm able to put 100% rips on Photons and not flip them entirely.

Glide is acceptable, but not remarkable.

Photon: 12, 4, -1, 3. I figure you need minimum 375' power to really get a Photon moving. If you can't throw 375', you'll need something flippier.

Personally, I'd pick something like an Octane as a workhorse driver from MVP.

Yeah, for sure. I see the potential in the mold. And on my absolute best days when I could hit 360'-380' they were great. Under 350' and they don't really turn at all, unless you force them over. For me an average day is in the < 350' range, so they just weren't quite right for that workhorse slot. And Waves don't have a reliable enough fade either. If MVP can figure out how to produce something halfway between those two molds, I could see myself switching back to gyro drivers.

Photon / ______ / Wave would be a killer three disc driver setup

Thank you for all your input Dude, I'll have to try some lighter protons. My 165 neutron can only get back to flat on a full power drive now. Most days if I'm lucky and stretch haha my power lives in the 390-400 range. I have one proton and it's max weight and likes to get dumpy but it's a little domey, and from what I understand the flat protons are the best. I think the lighter weight protons will get a bit more glide for me, but it's a reassurance to here about the seasoning longevity (minus concrete adjustments.) I have also noticed the spike hyzer concrete effect haha. Thanks again!

Really liking the Photon at 164 , 165 grams. Still stable into moderate headwind @ 300+ ft , but not so overstable that I lose distance. Waves will go longer for me, but have to hyzer flip just right, so less controllable. Maybe someday there will be a driver that fits just right between these 2, but for now they cover most of my longer driving needs.

Well from what I've read, the Trace is the missing link..

My favorite Photon was a 165g Neutron that I worked in for more than a year and a half before it started to fly like perfect S-flight. Mvp discs beat super slow. Even after 2,5 years it still had stability left to it. Unfortunately I lost it this winter in the snow :(

Ps. My distance is exactly in the ~375ft range and I sometimes manage to hit 400+.

Yeah, for sure. I see the potential in the mold. And on my absolute best days when I could hit 360'-380' they were great. Under 350' and they don't really turn at all, unless you force them over. For me an average day is in the < 350' range, so they just weren't quite right for that workhorse slot. And Waves don't have a reliable enough fade either. If MVP can figure out how to produce something halfway between those two molds, I could see myself switching back to gyro drivers.

Photon / ______ / Wave would be a killer three disc driver setup

You might give the Mayhem a look. It definitely slots between the Wave and Photon. The Mayhem will turn, but isn't super flippy.