• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Photon (11-12 Speed) Distance Driver

Marshall street places in right between Predator and Tracker.

:gross:

Wait...checks MST....ah, the OLF (according to them) is between Pred and Tracker.

I'd say the Fireball is more Predator like, but a little longer. (Longer Shock, to be exact)

The Photon might change quite a bit when it's eventually released in other heavier plastics. In its Fission form, I'm sticking with the longer Tesla description.

Halcon, my experience has the Photons with less HSS than the Teslas and similar LSS. It is much easier for me to throw the Photon on a long straighter line with fade than the Tesla which fights into its fades at a much earlier stage in its flight.

Halcon, my experience has the Photons with less HSS than the Teslas and similar LSS. It is much easier for me to throw the Photon on a long straighter line with fade than the Tesla which fights into its fades at a much earlier stage in its flight.

That's the Fission talking.

A true comparison could only be made with a Fission Tesla, I guess. I was comparing my Photon to my low 150's LE Tesla, and the flight patterns are similar, with the Photon, like you said, being easier to throw, and longer.

Marshall street places in right between Predator and Tracker.

MVP is beyond the capability of any other manufacturer. I feel disadvantaged by this fact.

There are great discs by nearly everyone, and you can get great results with every brand. There's no arguing though that MVPs tech and manufacturing process sets it apart from everyone else. They are not revolutionary where ou will be the best player just by using them, but I wouldn't be surprised by seeing top players in the next 5-15 years coming up with MVP and keeping up with anyone in the world with them. There is also the possibility of being able to achieve things Consistently (being the key word) with MVP that other manufacturers will have to catch up to.

what is an OLF/LF like for us non-disc nerds?

OLF's are speed 9 premium eagle x's. I threw them a ton in my early videos. Starting out they're moderately OS, about 9/4.5/-.5/3.5, and as they season they develop -1 high speed turn but maintain a strong fade. Good line shaper, think FR Volt with a more aggressive fade.

EDIT: Skip to 0:37 and I throw a 155g Tesla pretty far. The flight is a lot more comparable to the Photons than a max weight Tesla.

Last edited:
Disc golf will still always be a game about the archer and not the arrow.

Yeah, but I just like the stuff. I have no delusions about it actually making me better. It's all about the overall enjoyment of the game. Like when I used to run through 5 drivers and 3 sets of irons per year in golf.

I wouldn't be surprised by seeing top players in the next 5-15 years coming up with MVP and keeping up with anyone in the world with them.

Why would it take 5-15 years for that to happen, that makes no sense. Any skilled pro should be able to throw ANY companies discs (that are decently manufactured, etc..) and within a few months be able to compete with a new bag of discs at just as high a level they were before.. look at Ricky Wysoki switching to lat64 from prodigy.

Another example, Legacy is just a few years old like MVP and there are top Pros like Steve Rico throwing all legacy except for a firebird and competing with the top pros.

The idea that it takes 5-15 years for new discs to be used by top pros is silly. That is not the reason top pros are not bagging MVP, try again.

Why would it take 5-15 years for that to happen, that makes no sense. Any skilled pro should be able to throw ANY companies discs (that are decently manufactured, etc..) and within a few months be able to compete with a new bag of discs at just as high a level they were before.. look at Ricky Wysoki switching to lat64 from prodigy.

Another example, Legacy is just a few years old like MVP and there are top Pros like Steve Rico throwing all legacy except for a firebird and competing with the top pros.

The idea that it takes 5-15 years for new discs to be used by top pros is silly. That is not the reason top pros are not bagging MVP, try again.

I think gcr was more referring to the point where young kids just starting out now might be coming up with MVP being popular, whereas a lot of the pros playing now grew up with Innova and Discraft. Not speaking for him, but I think he is building in that time for MVP to catch on to a more mainstream audience.

And if you want to throw Legacy into the discussion that is fine, but Rico makes the discs, man! Of course he is going to throw them. Plus, it seems to be in their business model to cater more to pros.

I think that is the big difference here: MVP hasn't really tried to cater to the pro market yet because their growth has been steady without that side being brought into the equation. So the whole "this brand is legit because pros throw it" argument is moot. People buy MVP stuff, regardless of their skill level. There are a lot more rec and am players out there than there are touring pros, and MVP uses that to their advantage.

I don't know why there aren't any top pros using MVP in tournaments because they are good discs, maybe MVP doesn't offer enough sponsorship for them to be willing to give up their other molds? Maybe the image of MVP in the eyes of pros is holding it back? Or maybe the GYRO really IS such a huge disc flight changer that the pros cant adopt to it like they can ANY other manufacture that makes non-GYRO discs?

This is exactly the point I was making. Obviously top players would still be top players if they were throwing MVP instead of their current brands. The growth of the company hasn't been built by sponsorships (obviously with me as one of their sponsored guys 😉), or getting high visibility among the few of us that follow the pro tour. They started from the bottom of a line-up and are working their way up. They've tried to innovate and execute a consistent product. This is counter to a lot of other companies like Prodigy and to a different degree Legacy. Who is to say which business model is the better one at the beginning of the day, but I know I prefer the full lineup and quality control of MVP.

Once more players get it in their hands, more juniors come up throwing MVP, and it becomes recognized by the top tier guys (which is well on its way) then MVP may jump into the disc golf consciousness in a different way. I'd love them to join the ranks of Discraft and Innova in exposure one day in the future, but that is a tough one to crack.

I think gcr was more referring to the point where young kids just starting out now might be coming up with MVP being popular, whereas a lot of the pros playing now grew up with Innova and Discraft. Not speaking for him, but I think he is building in that time for MVP to catch on to a more mainstream audience.

And if you want to throw Legacy into the discussion that is fine, but Rico makes the discs, man! Of course he is going to throw them. Plus, it seems to be in their business model to cater more to pros.

I think that is the big difference here: MVP hasn't really tried to cater to the pro market yet because their growth has been steady without that side being brought into the equation. So the whole "this brand is legit because pros throw it" argument is moot. People buy MVP stuff, regardless of their skill level. There are a lot more rec and am players out there than there are touring pros, and MVP uses that to their advantage.

Didn't Steve Rico start legacy though? Not surprising he'd be using the discs he's designing?

Co-owns the company, right?

Player sponsorship seems to be a fairly big part of their business model. Seems to be working.

Player sponsorship does not seem to have been a big part of MVP's business model. Seems to be working.

If top pros aren't bagging Gyro based on perception of MVP's "image," that says more about them than it does the discs.

I'm struggling a little to get excited about this debate, again....